It is so sad that The Simpsons lifestyle is now a luxury...

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I have a hard enough time as a single earner in a two person household without kids, and I'm pretty high in my income bracket for my age. I can't imagine with kids.

Reactions: Pohemi

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I have a hard enough time as a single earner in a two person household without kids, and I'm pretty high in my income bracket for my age. I can't imagine with kids.

Average and TYPICAL full time daycare (M-F 8a-5p) cost $1500-2200 per month per child.

Read again. That is AVERAGE and TYPICAL in coastal areas.

Source: Me in NJ and friends in MA.

I personally paid $1880/mo.... and that was already numerous years ago. I'd be scared to look up how much that place charges now.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I mean even this talking point is getting old right?

Single provider and stay at home mom + THREE KIDS + beautiful house + 2 cars.

You can't even buy a house today on a single income.
Did you watch the latest episode? We find out how the Simpsons survive on a one parent income.

Marge gets a monthly stipend from her trust passed down from her father

But I get your point. Housing, college and healthcare inflation are definately rising far faster than wages.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Did you watch the latest episode? We find out how the Simpsons survive on a one parent income.

Marge gets a monthly stipend from her trust passed down from her father

But I get your point. Housing, college and healthcare inflation are definately rising far faster than wages.
I haven't watched an episode in a decade or so. But that's a ret-con, there was nothing implausible about their lifestyle for the first 20 years it was on. Hell, the house oughta be paid off by now :p

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I haven't watched an episode in a decade or so. But that's a ret-con, there was nothing implausible about their lifestyle for the first 20 years it was on. Hell, the house oughta be paid off by now :p
The house can't be paid off since the kids are perpetually at same age.

• Haha

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What makes it worse is people mostly just accept it. "oh well it's just inflation, adapt". That seems to be the attitude everyone has. We're at a point where needing an evening job just to keep up with bills is going to just be the norm. We need to work more and work harder if we want to keep the same standard of living. There's only so much you can really do to reduce bills, and some you have no control over, such as property taxes. Other than moving into a smaller house.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I mean even this talking point is getting old right?

Single provider and stay at home mom + THREE KIDS + beautiful house + 2 cars.

You can't even buy a house today on a single income.

Reminds me of Friends in the late 90s. They lived in an awesome apartment in NYC. Did they even work? lol

Reactions: NutBucket

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
One thing to remember about Homer was that he was a nuclear plant operator, a higher than average educated professional. For a better representation of the economic situation in past decades Married with Children would be a better case study.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
One thing to remember about Homer was that he was a nuclear plant operator, a higher than average educated professional. For a better representation of the economic situation in past decades Married with Children would be a better case study.
So a shoe salesman with a beautiful house and two kids on a single minimum wage income in Chicago? :tearsofjoy:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Od4F.gif

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Doesn't it depend to a very considerable extent WHERE you are? Houses where I am are apparently 5x the cost of ones some other places in the "lower 48."

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
At least three bedrooms, and I think they had a furnished basement too? Or was that just a garage?
Al definitely did a self remodel of the garage at one point to make it a man cave. I specifically remember him marking an area for 4 TP dispensers on the wall where he was putting in a new bathroom. Then Marcy took it over with her women's league or something and he knocked down some support beams to collapse it. But I thought they held the NO MA'AM meetings in his garage that was maybe partially furnished. God I haven't seen that show in forever but I am pretty sure I saw every episode of that show at least once.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Since my 2nd kid was born my wife hasn't worked. He turns 3 in August and we've gotten by pretty well. We've still gone on 3-4 nice vacations a year to the Caribean, some with the kids some without, and haven't had to change too much of our lifestyle. Not having any debt other than a house has really helped though. We have 2 cars but they've been paid off since like 2016. We actually refinanced to a 15yr loan while she was pregnant with our son and it cut off 7 years of our loan and our payment is only like $50/month more.

But once he's in preschool in the next year, she is probably going to go back to work and it's going to be helpful.

Reactions: Muse

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Al definitely did a self remodel of the garage at one point to make it a man cave. I specifically remember him marking an area for 4 TP dispensers on the wall where he was putting in a new bathroom. Then Marcy took it over with her women's league or something and he knocked down some support beams to collapse it. But I thought they held the NO MA'AM meetings in his garage that was maybe partially furnished. God I haven't seen that show in forever but I am pretty sure I saw every episode of that show at least once.
Didn't the kids have their own rooms as well? I have a memory of Bud retreating under the stairs, I thought to a basement bedroom.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
They marathon it on the Logo channel all the time. It has aged very gracefully and is still fucking fantastic.

Reactions: Scarpozzi