It is possible that Democrats will gain, not lose in November. Here's why/how.

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It's amazing just how bad of a candidate Oz is ... if it weren't for Walker in GA, he'd probably be the worst major race candidate I've ever seen. Just utterly clueless about even the most basic things.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It's amazing just how bad of a candidate Oz is ... if it weren't for Walker in GA, he'd probably be the worst major race candidate I've ever seen. Just utterly clueless about even the most basic things.
Unfortunately, it's a much closer race in GA with Walker.
and i have no idea why since Walker seems more clueless than Oz.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Well here’s another reason Dems might outperform - by a little bit.
WRYytgX.png

Vku9fVc.png

Dying to own the libs - literally.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w30512/w30512.pdf

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Ian will come into play also. With people displaced, voting going to be more difficult. Well assuming these families even care to vote in November. Enough for DeSantis to lose hopefully.

Reactions: hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ian will come into play also. With people displaced, voting going to be more difficult. Well assuming these families even care to vote in November. Enough for DeSantis to lose hopefully.

I really doubt DeSantis looses. Though he's too short and unlikable to become president so he'll have to be satisfied with torturing his voters for the next decade or so.

There will be no homeowners insurance in FL in a few years and his margin will probably go up lol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If I’m reading that right, up to 20% higher excess mortality? That’s crazy and would imply a LOT of the covid deaths in 2021 and 2022 were republicans. Considering how close some races were in 2020 this really could make a difference.
For statewide races in those states - possibly.
However it looked like the greatest effects were in the most partisan counties if I read it correctly so local elections and HOR elections might not be affected as much.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
For statewide races in those states - possibly.
However it looked like the greatest effects were in the most partisan counties if I read it correctly so local elections and HOR elections might not be affected as much.
I would think of it the other way around. It’s not uncommon for ultra partisan counties to be part of a house district that’s overall competitive. Statewide effects are probably too small to change all but the closest elections.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I would think of it the other way around. It’s not uncommon for ultra partisan counties to be part of a house district that’s overall competitive. Statewide effects are probably too small to change all but the closest elections.
Good point. I hope someone does an analysis of the effects this has on the 2022 election.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I would be very interested, although theoretically the effects would be captured in current polling.
Would it? I guess as long as they're controlling for demographics correctly maybe, but i would think that would be swayed by those same death rates...confounded by the fact that census data in 2020 was generated largely before most deaths occured.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Most election deniers running for governor have only a small chance of winning or are from states former President Donald Trump easily won.

There is one big exception: GOP gubernatorial nominee Kari Lake of Arizona. In the second-closest state of the 2020 presidential election, Lake is neck and neck with Democratic nominee Katie Hobbs.

So what is Lake’s secret? Part of it may be that her past as a television anchor is paying off. She seems to be doing a good enough job reaching voters in the middle of the electorate.

A further look at the numbers indicates that the GOP could easily win the secretary of state races in Arizona (Mark Finchem) and in next-door Nevada (Joe Marchant). The Republicans running for both those posts have denied the results of the 2020 election as they aim to become the chief election officers in their given states.

If she and Finchem win, the two officials in charge of election certification in Arizona will be on the record denying the reality of the 2020 election. :eek:

Oh man.. It looks like AZ Secy of State is a lost cause.
The AZ gov race seems to be THE race to watch because of the election certification implications

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Most election deniers running for governor have only a small chance of winning or are from states former President Donald Trump easily won.

There is one big exception: GOP gubernatorial nominee Kari Lake of Arizona. In the second-closest state of the 2020 presidential election, Lake is neck and neck with Democratic nominee Katie Hobbs.

So what is Lake’s secret? Part of it may be that her past as a television anchor is paying off. She seems to be doing a good enough job reaching voters in the middle of the electorate.

A further look at the numbers indicates that the GOP could easily win the secretary of state races in Arizona (Mark Finchem) and in next-door Nevada (Joe Marchant). The Republicans running for both those posts have denied the results of the 2020 election as they aim to become the chief election officers in their given states.

If she and Finchem win, the two officials in charge of election certification in Arizona will be on the record denying the reality of the 2020 election. :eek:

Oh man.. It looks like AZ Secy of State is a lost cause.
The AZ gov race seems to be THE race to watch because of the election certification implications

AZ is a fucking loony bin. It's like they took FL man, dumped him in the desert, mixed in a little militia and some border/illegals insanity, and let the heat bake in even more crazy.

I actually expect her to win.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

well, now we will get to wonder how many dead people vote in FL, at the request of DeSantis and SoS, of course.

The argument will be: "It's not fair that they died to own the libs! Therefore, they must be allowed to vote within the same year(s)!" 99% of republicans will accept the logic.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
299 election deniers are on ballots in November.

Democracy was a nice experiment. Some days I just wonder if mankind vaporizing itself via MAD over Ukraine is what we really deserve. We just can't have nice things.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I’ll make my prediction now, Republicans take House by five...Senate 52-48, who controls/wins the Senate is up in the air but I’m leaning/ hoping it’s the Dems.
Let’s see how I do.

Reactions: gothuevos

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I like this comment to the linked NYT article:

Marc
Colorado19m ago
The horserace coverage has to stop. I myself will not look or click at any polls this time around. It's mentally taxing and we already know that it's prone to ascertainment bias. I'm already voting blue all the way down the ballot, what else does this fearmongering/stress-inducing coverage want from us? Encourage everyone to vote their conscience, and wish for the best!