It is possible that Democrats will gain, not lose in November. Here's why/how.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What are you smoking?
Impeachment in the Senate does not take a simple majority.

To impeace required 2/3....not a simple majority!

To IMPEACH only requires a simple majority in the House, which is why the Dems were able to impeach Trump twice. To CONVICT requires the 2/3 majority in the Senate...which is why Trump was never thrown out of office.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Most forecasts have the GOP house edge narrowing. The fewer seats hey pick up the more dysfunctional their majority will be. not that it was posted to be super functional anyway but there is going to be a huge difference between a 20-30 seat majority and say a 10 seat majority.
My only hope is that it is miniscule, like 1. Insanity defined.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My only hope is that it is miniscule, like 1. Insanity defined.
A one seat GOP majority might be too small for the serial impeachment dramas we will get with a larger majority but it all but guarantees one or more Benghazi style commissions being set up.

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
A one seat GOP majority might be too small for the serial impeachment dramas we will get with a larger majority but it all but guarantees one or more Benghazi style commissions being set up.
I say this only if the Pubs win majority. Definitely want the Dems to stay in charge of the HOR.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I just read Walker was leading Warnock by 2 - well within the margin of error. But this is nuts if he wins. The same survey said more people thought Warnock would win than Walker, and that Warnock was viewed as more positive by quite a bit more than Walker.

I think if Georgia elects Walker, it should be an automatic kicking of them out of the union.

Why? Because the Peachtree State chose a U.S. Senator some didn't like?

There are voter suppression laws in place in Georgia. One cannot bring food or drink to those waiting on voter lines. People are slashed from the Eligible Voter Rolls. The numbers of polling sites are always reduced.

Anyone can complain and whine.

But what are people on this forum doing to ensure Rev. Raphael Warnock can actually win? Is anyone who lives in the state canvassing? Is anyone donating money? Anyone volunteering to make phone calls on behalf of the Democratic Senatorial candidate?

And what poll was cited? Is there a link?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Cook Political shifts five House races in favor of Dems.

but repubs still win majority, right?
it does not matter if they win by 50 seats or 1.

majority in house means they control committees and hearings.
and i'm guessing what bills to bring up to a vote or not, even if a majority of House members are in favor of it. (ie: all dems and a handful of Repubs)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
but repubs still win majority, right?
it does not matter if they win by 50 seats or 1.

majority in house means they control committees and hearings.
and i'm guessing what bills to bring up to a vote or not, even if a majority of House members are in favor of it. (ie: all dems and a handful of Repubs)
That’s becoming less and less certain. They probably still win but democrats keeping control is definitely a possibility now.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
But what are people on this forum doing to ensure Rev. Raphael Warnock can actually win? Is anyone who lives in the state canvassing? Is anyone donating money? Anyone volunteering to make phone calls on behalf of the Democratic Senatorial candidate?

Yup. I donated to the Warnock campaign a couple weeks ago. Along with the DNC (twice this past month), and Liz Cheney (who of course lost).

And what poll was cited? Is there a link?

The one where Walker is +2 is the latest from Emerson College. It has a relatively low sample size of 600, so the margin of error is quite high. Here are all the polls for that race.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Why is that voldemort looking clown not in prison for medicare fraud?

I had forgotten all about that, but yes, Scott does seem to have something else in common with Trump besides them both being assholes. Both like to plead the Fifth.

But Trump had him beat with 450 repetitions of pleading the Fifth in his last deposition. Scott only plead the Fifth in his Medicare fraud case 75 times.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I had forgotten all about that, but yes, Scott does seem to have something else in common with Trump besides them both being assholes. Both like to plead the Fifth.

But Trump had him beat with 450 repetitions of pleading the Fifth in his last deposition. Scott only plead the Fifth in his Medicare fraud case 75 times.
What I find most amazing is that republicans voluntarily gave their money to they guy who very clearly stole a lot of money.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I think Rick Scott may think he is more popular and powerful than he is. I guess we'll see!

Popularity has nothing to do with rank and file Republican leadership. It’s all about that donor base—pitting war chest against war chest. Scott thinks he has an advantage with the hedge fund/big pharma side of the donor base vs. McConnell’s land, mine, farm and horse owners.

Edit: This gifted WaPo article gets at exactly what I’m talking about…

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
JFC Greg Abbott's new commercial is so tone deaf. Bragging about how he waited tables to pay for college. Yeah try that now fuckface. You're going to make $32,000 a year waiting tables part time to pay for going to the University of Texas or Texas A&M, or even a shitty school like University of Texas at San Antonio as an in-state resident?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
JFC Greg Abbott's new commercial is so tone deaf. Bragging about how he waited tables to pay for college. Yeah try that now fuckface. You're going to make $32,000 a year waiting tables part time to pay for going to the University of Texas or Texas A&M, or even a shitty school like University of Texas at San Antonio as an in-state resident?
He wasn't physically challenged by a wheel chair then? Not familiar with why he's in a wheelchair.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
He wasn't physically challenged by a wheel chair then? Not familiar with why he's in a wheelchair.
A tree fell on him. He then sued the property owner and won a large amount in an insurance settlement (15k/month for life, including COLA)
Greg Abbott the politician has since supported limiting the amount of compensation one could receive via tort law to 250k

If you're thinking Greg Abbott.is a giant PoS, you'd be 100% right. I present to you, exhibit C (A and B being the above two links)

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Republicans living in a partisan bubble of their own reality? Say it isn't so.

The great GOP abortion backpedal: Republicans slowly realize they live in a partisan bubble | Salon.com

As reporter Areeba Shah detailed for Salon Wednesday, a whole bunch of Republicans are suddenly discovering their "deeply felt" love of embryonic life isn't quite so deep as their desire to win their elections come November. GOP campaign websites are being scrubbed of language affirming a candidate's wish to force 10-year-old rape victims to give birth. Accusations that the over 800,000 abortion patients a year are guilty of "genocide" are being shoved down the memory hole. Candidates, like Peter Thiel-boosted Senate hopeful Blake Masters, once bragged about how they'd ban abortion before the pregnancy test even registers positive. Now Masters is pretending his interest is limited to "very late-term and partial-birth abortion" only.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A tree fell on him. He then sued the property owner and won a large amount in an insurance settlement (15k/month for life, including COLA)
Greg Abbott the politician has since supported limiting the amount of compensation one could receive via tort law to 250k

If you're thinking Greg Abbott.is a giant PoS, you'd be 100% right. I present to you, exhibit C (A and B being the above two links)

wow. I didn't think it was possible to find any more information about what a piece of shit goblin flesh Greg Abbot is, but there it is.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Two ominous signs this week for GQP senate candidates ...

1) JD Vance scheduling a rally in Ohio w/Trump during the same time that OSU and Toledo play in Columbus. Just tone deaf and goes to show how much he understands his constituents and their interests.
2) Polling in Utah is showing that Evan McMullin is leading the incumbent. Utah. Now it's an internal poll but still an odd result.

Winds are definitely blowing on the senate races. Barring something major, I'd still expect Ds to pick up seats there.