It finally happened, snow on the roof.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
None on the ground.

But its here. Its happening. And I am not looking forward to it.
Even worse? Last week we had a day that was 73 degrees.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
When I read the title I thought Shorty was going grey. It happens.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
It's Nov 30 and I live on the north shore of Lake Superior (the big triangular lake at the west end of the five Great Lakes in North America). Last night we had very light snow - maybe ¼" - and the temperature and wind today suggest this MIGHT manage to stay on the ground for the rest of winter. Paved streets are bare, but a little snow on sidewalks and lawns. So far we've had a long snow-less fall, and permanent light snow usually arrives a little earlier than this. Lake Superior itself is such a huge heat sink that it impacts weather close to it, so areas further north and west of us have had snow for some time now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Schools already got like 3 snow days here lol. We don't really have a lot of snow but got a few mini storms that were enough to warrant a snow day. They tend to be liberal with those now, but throughout the year they start slowing down on calling them at every storm. I always wonder if there is a quota for them so they want to use it up at the start of the year in case they don't get the chance later.

But now with remote learning snow days are not like real snow days, they still need to login from home. Sucks to be them! We had real snow days back as a kid. Having an impromptu day off when you thought you had to be at school was the best thing ever.

Reactions: Captante

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
When I was a little kid, I do not remember any snow days. Just suck it up and walk, kid! Of course, that was a small town with one school, and the longest walk to school was maybe four or five blocks.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
When I was a little kid, I do not remember any snow days. Just suck it up and walk, kid! Of course, that was a small town with one school, and the longest walk to school was maybe four or five blocks.

Uphill both ways? :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I remember getting a week of -50's and they called a snow day like 3 days in a row. I used to walk back then so normally I'd get to the school all frozen then find out it was cancelled lol. I'd sometimes stay there since I was freezing at that point, or I'd brave the cold so I can go back home.

That's the coldest temp I've ever seen though, now days we barely even get -30's. We'll get a couple days like that but that's about it. Back then it was at least a month of -30's and some -40's.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
My experience is similar to Red Squirrel's. (I think we live in related areas.) First, no uphill walks to school. Mine was relatively easy - about 2 blocks one way. I do remember a FEW days in my childhood and teens with lows below -40 (F or C, does not natter). Not sure I ever experienced -50 F, but maybe. But recently getting to -40 is REALLY rare. However, now I live in a small city, rather than a very small town, so that influences the temps by several degrees.

PS, I don't use the newer "Wind Chill Factor" to express temperatures. I still think in terms of "this is the real temperature, plus let's add in consideration of the wind impact."

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I grew up in Minnesota. If they let people off for snow no one would ever get anything done. So yeah, most of the time we had to suck it up. I think in 13 years of public education I got maybe 5 or 6 days at home.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I was in elementary school in the 1970's and we only had 3 snow days. Each one was because either the city was shutdown or the conditions were so bad schools wouldn't open.

1 - Great Blizzard of 1971

2 - Blizzard of 1977

3 - Great Blizzard of 1978

:eek:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Schools had another snowday today, think it's like the 4th one already this winter. Random snow storm. Just finished snow blowing the driveway. It seems to have tapered off now so there should not be as much to do tomorrow. I would have waited but I had to go out today.

The thermometer in my car said its 64 degrees outside.

So, yeah, what the fuck?

A miscalibrated thermometer in MY vehicle? It's more likely than you think!

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
It's Dec 3, and my note of Nov 30 was wrong. That little bit did not last. Despite several very tiny additional snow and rain bits our ground is still bare and frozen. I did my fall snowblower maintenace a few weeks ago, but thankfully there is NO imminent need to use it. We did manage to get three cars' snow tires installed, inflation set up for the cold, and block heater cords and plugs all cleaned up and verified good function. Flower beds and a rose bush banked up with mulched leaves. Christmas decorations at the front are up, so the inside decs and tree are due next. Oh, and time to clean dust from the furnace so it has clear air circulation.