It finally happened. My friend lost his job

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dari, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Dari

Dari Lifer

I should also add that this same guy was told by his boss to drive him home fast. Well, he was caught by police and given a $700 ticket for speeding. He ate the cost.

2. dawp

dawp Diamond Member

should have dressed up as Frank N Furter

[​IMG]

3. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

If you're going to mock at least get it straight. Their accents pronounce Ls like Rs, so I'm not sure what the hell it is you're doing.

4. mikeymikec

mikeymikec Diamond Member

Maybe he was mocking people who mock the Japanese incorrectly?

5. AznAnarchy99

AznAnarchy99 Lifer

Its a common occurrence from what I've heard/studied.

Watched a documentary that was from the late 80s/early 90s called "The African American Experience in Japan" in a class. Pretty much it said that the Japanese are very accommodating to people who are there on a short term basis. When they realize that you plan on working there/living there for a long period of time, they show their true colors and are extremely racist and protective of their land. It is somewhat impossible to get citizenship there as a non-Japanese.

6. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

Japan. Where you can buy used panties from vending machines. Not surprised.

7. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

8. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

Not surprised. You do as you're told.

If you don't listen to your boss, you might as well quit.

9. diesbudt

diesbudt Diamond Member

What surprises me is that this surprises people.

I thought it was at least decently known that japanese culture and work environment is very much different, with many weird traits.

10. brainhulk

brainhulk Diamond Member

11. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

That was some 1950's Chan shit.
    It rearry was!

12. Schfifty Five

What about the whole Flied Lice instead of Fried Rice saying? They are replacing the R sound with an L sound.

13. brainhulk

brainhulk Diamond Member

fa ra ra ra ra

http://youtu.be/46WcFObgYhI

nuff said

14. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

* it. If I liked the job and the boss, I'd dress up like schoolgirl. Sounds like a pretty laid back place to work, where they don't take shit too seriously, at least not all the time.

15. dawks

dawks Diamond Member

I'm still disturbed by the fact that there are 'woman only' train cars on the rails in Japan because random groping by strangers is acceptable there.

The more I learn about Japan, the more I'm creeped out by it. Being forced to dress up as a school girl for work.. Really? How is that acceptable in any culture? Theres nothing to draw besides sexual connotations, and in this case in particular, homosexual connotations.

16. NikolaeVarius

Oh yes, the fact that there are woman only trains means that groping is acceptable there. That makes total sense.

17. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

So sorry you finally lost your job, Dari.

18. KidNiki1

KidNiki1 Platinum Member

when i went to japan, it was explained to me that the L and R sounds end up being interchangeable in the translation process, which is why you will see this happen both ways. r to l as well as l to r.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wzUuGm7yw

19. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

Or marry his cartoon girl pillow and he will be idolized by all.

seriously, go find a job where your superiors don't have the maturity of an 9 year-old virgin.

20. Slew Foot

Slew Foot Lifer

Too bad we cant do shit like that here. Some pussy PC losers would get pissed off.

21. sjwaste

sjwaste Diamond Member

Why didn't he do it? It sounds like they were accepting him. Yeah it sounds like there's a little bit of hazing in the corporate culture, but it sounds like it's all in good fun and everyone does it. If he loves it over there, he doesn't get to pick and choose which parts of the culture fit. If you're going to call somewhere else home, you gotta go all in on the culture or people are always going to treat you as an outsider.

Even as a consultant with one of the big American firms, you might not be putting on the drag, but the social aspect is a big part of it. I had a nice stretch in my mid 20's when I probably went a month without buying a meal or a drink on my own dime. It all goes with the territory. It just sounds like the Japanese take it a little bit farther!

22. diesbudt

diesbudt Diamond Member

If it brought them a good laugh and kept me in good graces with the boss at a job I liked, I would have no issue doing this over there.

23. diesbudt

diesbudt Diamond Member

Exactly. Before moving to any other country, it is a good idea to look up and understand all the basics of their culture, holidays, and so on.

Japan Valentines day (and White day) is different, they have that tanabata (star festival), and different school schedules etc.

And as other people said before, if you're there visiting, they love Americans. If you move there, unless you full adapt to their usual customs, they will always look down on you. Over there family and self, honor and respect means much more than here in America.

(And don't forget to address people with the appriopriate honorifics there. such as -sama, -chan, -kun, -domo, sensei, etc.)

24. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

Oh yeah, nothing says laid back like "do this stupid thing completely unrelated to your job or you're fired"

:rolleyes: