Issues with P8P67 Pro

Daegan

Jan 29, 2011
Hello all,

I've been lurking the forums for quite some time but have just now ran into a issue that seems unusual enough to ask for help.

I've built a Sandy Bridge system that has ran with absolutely no problems for roughly two weeks. I've keep the OC fairly conservative at 4.1ghz running 1.24VCore. System spec's are below.

The issue is this - no problems so far but I came home to a warning diagnostic about motherboard temps. Nothing else seems to have any problems at all. I checked the heatsinks on the motherboard and they all seem secure. Any thoughts? Please see the linked screenshot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57824179@N03/5399374807/

System Spec's:
i7-2600K @ 4.1ghz
G.Skill DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24-2T
ASUS P8P67 Pro
Coolermaster HAF 932
Megahalem Rev. B CPU Cooler
Radeon HD6870 Standard Clock
Corsair 750XT Power Supply
WD Black Edition Sata 6 1TB

Thanks for all the help!
Daegan

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you assembled the machine, yourself, did you use whatever heatsink compound or pad that came with your setup, or did you use a good aftermarket compound like Arctic Silver 5?

If you used compound, you should have applied the thinnest possible coating. The purpose of heatsink compound is to fill microscopic gaps between the CPU's cooling surface and the heatsink, and more is not better. In fact, it just gets in the way of good thermal transfer.

If the above makes you think you should re-do it, Windex is good for removing old compound from the CPU and heatsink. I usually start with a BB size drop and spread as thin a coat as possible it on the chip's cooling surface with my index finger. Then, I mount the heatsink on top of that.

In this thread, a couple of weeks ago, others and I gave similar advice, and the OP reported that his CPU temperature went down 8&#176;.

Windex works well for removing the excess from your finger, too. ;)

Last edited:

MrTransistorm

May 25, 2003
Harvey, that's good advice wrt the CPU, but Daegan posted about motherboard temps. I can only assume that the OP never even removed the P67 heat sinks. They should be fine.

Daegan, does the EFI setup screen show motherboard temp? If so how does it compare? Are the motherboard heat sinks hot?

My suspicion is that the Asus monitoring software is misreading the temps for some reason. Try HWMonitor and see if it shows the same thing.

Daegan

Jan 29, 2011
Just to clear up the CPU question, artic silver 5, recommended usage (Line method, heatsink application).

As to the temps, upon further research it seems to be an ASUS Probe 2 issue with the current version of the monitoring software. Bios temperatures post what I would expect ~30 CPU, ~22 Motherboard. Running bios 1053 and looking into the 1204 revision that was published on 1/27/11 for potential flashing.

I also went a step further and used ambient temperature sensors above and around the heatsinks - they all came out at approximate ambient temperatures.

Apparently ASUS has a long way to go with their current bios and software given the number of problems we're seeing on the P8P67 series. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Last edited:

Daegan

Jan 29, 2011
@bankster55

I turned off the TPU switch and manually set all overclock settings. That allowed me to get the machine stable easily with stock 100.0 BCK settings and manual set RAM timings.

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
I like to like to learn from others probs (thats why I come here), so in that vein, I would appreciate the settings in your overclocking - the AI tweak page and the cpu config area.
Maybe I can spot something
You did click on the "normal" window first right? Not the Powersave or Perf?
Theres really not that much, but if its a hassle, I'll understand - no harm no foul
For example - turbo is better with "all cores in bios" not "but changeable in O/S"

Thnx

Daegan

Jan 29, 2011
No problem, I'm exactly the same way. I'll pull down all the settings this afternoon and add another reply with my current settings.

That being said, I'm sure I'm in "easy mode's Standard (Normal) setting. All of my changes have taken place in the advanced section of the bios.