Issues With New Video Card

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
I am having an issue with my new video card, but am not sure if there is a fix to it or not...

I recently purchased an EVGA GeForce 9400 GT graphics card and installed it in my HP MediaCenter M1070N desktop computer. I purchased the card because I wanted to connect my two monitors up to it. The card has two DVI outputs on it, which I used to connect to my two DVI compatible monitors. One of the monitors is a 19" widescreen Gateway monitor (model #FPD1976W), and the other, and old 17" Dell monitor I had lying around. I hooked them both up and want to use them so the Gateway monitor on the left is the main desktop, and the Dell monitor on the right is the secondary and I can drag windows over to it from the left. So, I installed the graphics card, and that went fine. Then, I could not use the driver disc enclosed in the box (b/c it only supports XP and Vista, and I use 7)... so I downloaded the correct and most up to date driver from the EVGA website.

The problem I am having however, is that the monitor on the left (my 19" widescreen Gateway monitor) appears very "zoomed in" and all of the graphics on the screen appear enlarged. However, the Dell monitor on the right appears normal and without a problem. So, I figured that I probably just needed to change the resolution of the Gateway's screen. I right clicked on the desktop and selected "screen resolution". However, from the screen resolution properties screen, I could only select one other resolution other then the one I was currently using, and that one is even more zoomed in and enlarged. I then went into the EVGA control panel and tried to change the resolution there, but was also only presented with the one other resolution in that panel. I have messed with it for about 2 hours now, and have no idea what else to try.

Am I missing some other driver that I need or something? Do I just need to sell the graphics card and try another one? I just can't imagine it just won't work with my monitor, I have never had a problem like this in the past. I would appreciate ANY help I can get concerning this problem. Thanks!

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
When I right click on the desktop and select screen resolution, the "screen resolution" setting box comes up like it should. The left monitor which is a 19" Gateway (the one I am having the issue with, and the one I have set as the primary monitor) is listed in the drop down menu as: "1.Generic Non-PnP Monitor" and the monitor on the right, a 17" Dell (which seems to work fine), is listed in the drop down menu as: "Dell 1708FP"

Now, the resolution that the Gateway monitor is currently using is: 1024x768 and appears zoomed in and enlarged. The only other resolution that is available from the Resolution drop down menu, is: 800x600 and is even more zoomed in and enlarged then the one it is currently using. Also, just for reference, I went onto the Gateway website and looked up the specs for the monitor I am having the issue with, and the page says that the native resolution is: 1440x900.

Lastly, if I go to Control Panel> System and Security> System> Device Manager> Display Adapters Then, underneath the Display Adapters section, is the item named "NVIDIA [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]GeForce[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] 9400 GT" and when I double click it and check it's properties... the device status says "This Device is Working Properly". So, it seems like it is installed and is running fine. This is really confusing and I can't figure out why I only have 2 resolution settings. I am typically very good with computers, and troubleshooting problems... but this one has me stumped. Is there something wrong with the fact that the computer is just recognizing the Gateway monitor as a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor"? Should it list the brand and model of it, like it does the Dell monitor which works properly? Thanks in advance

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Make sure to reboot the system before changing the settings. Because Nvidia cards require a full reboot to properly detect monitor profiles.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Maybe the Gateway monitor needs a driver to function properly. Check Windows Update first. It's common for it to have monitor drivers.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
What happens if you swap primary monitors from the card, ie unplug them and switch orders so that the dell is the primary? Do you get the same symptoms on the dell? Usually windows will pick up on whether or not you need drivers, but I think in this case, this is the most likely culprit. Kinda weird...

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
I have already rebooted the system many times and tried switching which monitor goes to which output many times. Also, I looked on the Gateway site, but they do not have a driver for that model of monitor. Also, I ran updates on the system... and still it's still not displaying properly. I guess it just wasn't meant to be :|

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
No, I didn't use VGA to DVI adapters. Both of the outputs on the card are DVI's... so I just used 2 DVI cables I had to connect the monitors to the card.