Issue with laptop wireless internet, when turned on, nothing is allowed to open... ?

aarsrum

May 9, 2013
So a friend of mine who isn't very tech-savvy contacted me today to help with her laptop, it's a Sony Vaio, maybe a couple years old, I think she runs Windows 7, but what edition or bit I'm not sure, probably not very high though. Anyways, apparently whenever the wireless is turned on for internet, she is unable to open anything, programs, browsers, files and folders, nada. I did a few basic Google searches but didn't come up with much of anything helpful. I personally have never seen nor heard of this problem before. I told her to start out by running Avast! Antivirus software to check for anything, as well as running a disc defrag and disc cleanup on it, Lord knows the last time she's done either, as well as download and run a couple other cleanup programs, specifically Spybot and Malwarebytes, at least to get her started, if nothing else to just clean it up a little, while I did some research to see what it could be and how to go about fixing it. If anyone has come across this before, or at least point me in the direction of where to begin looking, it would be greatly appreciated. The laptop has primarily been of personal, light use until recently, she's begun using it to help with some Quickbooks stuff in the small office she works in. Again, any help at all would be of great appreciation. Thanks guys.

aarsrum

May 9, 2013
Alright, thanks, I'll give that a shot. Had to do that myself when having issues with my printer the other day.

If she does have the ability to download programs, I'll probably just get her to download Teamviewer and remote in to it and try it out that way. I'm a bit of a recluse. Ha. Thanks again for the tip, I'll let you know if it worked or not.