Issue with booting

katazuki

Jan 20, 2012
Okay so guys,

This is my first build and I am having issues with what I presume is a motherboard issue and none of my friends can seem to call anything up, nor does google.

First off specs,

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport - Memory - 12 GB : 3 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL10 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

Motherboard: GA-Z68AP-D3

GFX Card: Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E

CPU: Intel Sandybridge i5-2500 Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)

Power: OCZ-ZS650W-UK OCZ ZS Series 650W Power Supply 80+ Plus Bronze

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint HD753LJ 750 GB F1 DT Desktop Class Hard Drive

Okay so basically, my issue is -

I start up the PC and it runs for roughly 20 seconds, the monitor doesn't get any signal from the PC and then it turns off after roughly 20 seconds.

Things I have tried so far:

[*]Swapping around RAM sticks.
[*]Unplugging everything apart from CPU, power & Motherboard
[*]Taking GFX card out and letting it run off CPU's

All of the cables are plugged in correctly as far as I can see.
I tried using the speaker and it bleeps a long(ish) beep over and over, link to sound recording: http://www.mediafire.com/?mjz35tqukuxqmqx

I am compeltely stumped as too what I should do, I hope someone can help me out.

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Ok a couple of easy things but we need to start somewhere, is the CPU cooler fitted properly and is the fan plugged in, also can you check the mobo instructions they should list the fault beep codes which should let you narrow the problem down.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Ok I got bored and checked the manual online it says continuous long beeps are incorrectly installed GPU, did it make the same sound once the GPU was removed?

Edit. If it is acually continuous short beeps then it is a power error, are the 24 pin (20 +4) and 4 pin power connectors correctly installed?

Last edited:

katazuki

Jan 20, 2012
Ok a couple of easy things but we need to start somewhere, is the CPU cooler fitted properly and is the fan plugged in, also can you check the mobo instructions they should list the fault beep codes which should let you narrow the problem down.

All fans are running, I have tested all RAM sticks.
I have also looked in the mobo instructions and they say its GFX card related but I don't see how when I have tried removing GFX card.

Ok I got bored and checked the manual online it says continuous long beeps are incorrectly installed GPU, did it make the same sound once the GPU was removed?

Yes sir.

In reply to your edit,

As far as I can see, the 24 pins are in the only slot they fit in :p and the same applies for the other pins.

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Long beep sounds like RAM..

Did you try one stick at a time in different slots ?

Apparently RAM errors are one long one short beep. I can't actually get the download the OP linked to play so it is a little hard to tell

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Ok I can hear it now (had to use VLC), that does sound like continuous long beeps.... is that with the GPU in or out? If it is in are you sure it gave the same fault beep with it out?

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Only thing I would suggest is taking out the GPU, removing the CMOS battery, holding the case power button for 10 seconds then replacing the battery and seeing if it will boot without the GPU. If not I would seriously start thinking about an RMA.

katazuki

Jan 20, 2012
Only thing I would suggest is taking out the GPU, removing the CMOS battery, holding the case power button for 10 seconds then replacing the battery and seeing if it will boot without the GPU. If not I would seriously start thinking about an RMA.

:( didn't work

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
So.., with the Geforce removed, running from onboard, same long beeps, nothing on screen, shut down commences 20 seconds later?

RMA the m/b.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I'm not sure what RMA means, sorry :p
A return merchandise authorization (RMA), return goods authorization (RGA), or return merchandise agreement (rarely return material authorization) is the process of having a product repaired or replaced in order to receive a refund or credit for another product from the same retailer or corporation within the product's warranty period. The RMA process and the issuance of an RMA is a key gatekeeping moment in the reverse logistics cycle. This term is often used in the electronics industry as a part of service agreements, according to which the customer returns the product back to the company and gets a new or repaired product back, generally with an additional warranty on the returned product.
Sorry, there isn't much else to do without further inspection. This could come in handy.

Last edited:

katazuki

Jan 20, 2012
Sorry, there isn't much else to do without further inspection. This could come in handy.

Okay so I have reset the CMOS and taken out the GPU and put in a single stick of RAM and now the computer boots for literally about a second and then turns off, any idea what could be happening now?

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Okay so I have reset the CMOS and taken out the GPU and put in a single stick of RAM and now the computer boots for literally about a second and then turns off, any idea what could be happening now?
A fail-safe protection kicking in. Something amiss.

Are you sure, the CPU is seated perfectly?

2) Could you try a different power supply unit, by any chance?

3) Do the lights come on with the P4 connector unplugged?

Last edited:

katazuki

Jan 20, 2012
A fail-safe protection kicking in. Something amiss.

Are you sure, the CPU is seated perfectly?

2) Could you try a different power supply unit, by any chance?

3) Do the lights come on with the P4 connector unplugged?

1) Yes

2) I don't have another

3) I have no idea what p4

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
The "CPU" power cord ^. Either try a different PSU and / or a mobo. This is abnormal behavior and we have limited options to troubleshoot since you have no spares.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
I'm 99% sure it's not the CPU and I don't have either xD

you have to make sure that the power connector for the CPU is plugged in. just a magic carpet said. you have two connectors coming from your PSU that MUST be plugged in to the motherboard. One is a 24 pin connector (also refered as a 20+4 connector), this is all your voltages and sense lines that supply power for everything on the mb. There is a also an additional CPU power connector that must be plugged in. it's going to be around the cpu socket somewhere. it is a minimum 4 pin connector. some mb have an 8 pin connector.. it all depends what the manufacturer included on that model. it's NOT the PCIe connector that comes from your PSU, but a seperate CPU power pin that comes from the PSU. either 4(2x2) or 4+4 or 8 pin.... ALL PSU since the early 2000 have this... not all PSU have the PCIe connector (really low budget PSU don't)

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Can you do a build outside the case, you might be shorting the mobo on the metal inside of the case. I take it you have fitted the standoffs for the mobo....