Issue with a new, first time build.

Osyus

Mar 1, 2013
Hello friends I recently built my first comp and have an issue with it locking up randomly on me(once daily) and also had it reboot randomly on me as well, need any suggestions to fix this please! All this has happened while gaming(wow) I have disabled onboard gpu and have no other suggestions as to what it could be! All drivers and windows are fully updated.

MB GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt

GPU GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bithttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/386713-31-problem-build# PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B

HD SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500KW 2.5" 500GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

PSU CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC

On windows 7 64bit (if that matters)

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Go into control panel and look into "start up and recovery". Inspect for radio button "Automatically Restart" under "System Failure". Also, ensure that "Write an Event to the System Log" radio button is enabled. If so check the appropriate log to ascertain what might be going on.

rozkan

Mar 1, 2013
Nice system you have there. Did you make sure to download and install an antivirus? Also, if problem started after a recent update, you can just use system restore. It usually solves such problems.

Osyus

Mar 1, 2013
I did it C1, im assuming if it happens now I will get some sort of alert or how do I check the log? Thanks roz and yes I have an antivirus and im not exactly sure when it started, so no I havent restored but I might consider now that you mention it.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
In the "Write debugging information" area of the "Startup and Recovery" screen, there should be a window called "Small dump directory" that specifies the default path for the "Minidump" file.

Just do a search (include hidden files) on the C drive for "Minidump".

Osyus

Mar 1, 2013
Ok, it froze again on me after the change and I cant find the "minidump" file, its actually not selected on the "small dump directory" it was default on "kernel memory dump" so I didnt change it, would that change anything?

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Either file will be located at the root

Small memory dump: C:\Minidump

Kernel memory dump: C:\MEMORY.DMP

Osyus

Mar 1, 2013
No BSOD, it just locks up and nothing responds, have to hit reset button on my case. As for the files, not sure but they are definitely not there, I have everything "unhidden" so I dont know why honestly.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
only happens during WoW? Do you do anything else that stresses the system?

Maybe run a CPU-stressing program. It's possible that you didn't do a great job of mounting the heatsink to the CPU.

If you run the CPU-stress program (with no video card stress) and it crashes/reboots, then remove, clean with isopropyl alcohol, and reapply thermal paste, then reattach carefully the heatsink.

Osyus

Mar 1, 2013
Yes, firmware is updated. Its not only during WoW, its happened during dota2 as well, can you tell me a CPU-stress program to use?

Last edited:

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
From a quick google search, it looks like Intel Burn Test and Prime95 are good candidates. These are good because they'll be able to tell you if it's your cpu/mb/ram. If the test passes with flying colors, there's a chance you have a faulty video card.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Do you have the most recent BIOS installed on your motherboard? If not, it might be worth updating it. Also, you might record your BIOS settings and reset the BIOS to defaults, then go back in and reset the important BIOS settings to see if this will make a difference.

Osyus

Mar 1, 2013
I ran the CPU-stress test and it was stable but ive found this error under right clicking my comp > manage > event viewer > windows log > system > errors, The WMI Performance Adapter service terminated with the following error:
%%-2147467259, which occurs everyday according to the log, could that be it?

Goros

Dec 16, 2008
Is this system overclocked at all? It sounds like a stability issue.

a few things:

#1 make sure the bios is up to date with the most recent release
#2 make sure all drivers are up to date with the most recent releases for everything - video card, sound card, motherboard, chipsets, etc.

After that is done, download memtest 86+ 4.20 and burn it to a CD/dvd. boot into it and let it run for a while. If there are any errors, you have a memory issue. Go into the bios and verify that the memory settings in the system match the memory you installed. Sometimes if you don't load the xmp (or the ram doesnt have xmp) you can get errors like you describe.

If you pass memtest 86+ for 2-3 complete passes (pass 0, pass 1, pass 2 etc) with no errors, go into windows and load prime95 x64 and under advanced check off sum (inputs) error checking and roundoff checking.

Run it and see if any of the cores have instability via a "error was detected, worker stopped" message. If it does, that means your CPU is either faulty or something is wrong with your MOBO detecting its voltage needs. You can control this manually but it's not for the neophyte. Watch your temperatures during this process, if the CPU gets too hot you can destroy it. Keep max temps below 90, preferably below 80 if you can.

If neither of those triggers any type of error, load up OCCT and go to CPU: LINPACK tab. Check off 64 bits, avx capable, and all logical cores, tell it to use 90% memory on automatic for 2 hours. If it detects an error it will tell you, and it's again a cpu problem. If OCCT makes it too hot, it will shut itself down at 85 degrees, so you don't have to watch it.

Finally, if it's the video card, use OCCT GPU:3D at full resolution (whatever that is) with a shader complexity of 3-7. Check off the "error check" box and let it run. If it detects errors, it will tell you. If your GPU is bad, this will let you know.

Osyus

Mar 1, 2013
No OC'ing, bios/drivers are all updated, I actually did a memtest overnight, last night(about 9 hours) with no errors. I will try the other stuff you said though.

Goros

Dec 16, 2008
Ok. Make sure you used memtest86+ 4.20....if you did just regular "memtest" you can't trust the result.