Issue w/ BIONIC running on laptop

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I have a new lappy that I installed BIONIC on at the admin account.

However, it seems that once the system times out and goes to the password screen and/or my wife uses her account, BIONIC does not run.:(

Now, this may be an OS (Win7) laptop configuration issue, but it affects my BIONIC support; so I figured, this is more deserving of getting the answer.

What do I need to look at to allow BIONIC to get 100% of the time to potentially run. Presently, I seem to be getting 4-6 hours out of it per day because of the timeouts/user change

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
When the system "times out", are you saying it goes to sleep? I'm running BOINC on my wife's laptop and I disabled sleep. I did leave other power saving features such as display and hard drive off after a certain period.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
However, it seems that once the system times out and goes to the password screen and/or my wife uses her account, BIONIC does not run.:(
it sounds to me like you installed BOINC to run on under your Windows account only. during installation, there is a check box or an option somewhere that asks you if you want BOINC to run under any account or just the specific account you're logged into during the installation process. obviously you want to choose the option that allows BOINC to run under any Windows account. so uninstall BOINC and reinstall it to run under any Windows account, and then try switching from your account to your wife's account and see if BOINC works like its supposed to.

let us know if that fixes the problem...

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Sunny
That may be the answer; I installed BIONIC and then added the wife's account afterwards.

Get to play with this over next day and will report back

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Sunny
That may be the answer; I installed BIONIC and then added the wife's account afterwards.
hmm...that sounds like something that could certainly cause issues. i don't know if BOINC is capable of recognizing an account that's been added to Windows after BOINC itself was installed...keep us posted.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
If you do manage to get it running 100% and have it running all the time then watch out for heat. Watch your fan, they die prematurely when run 100%.
Usually having them replaced is prohibitively expensive.
I found that blowing some air through the fan once a week kept them running best, but any component in there that isn't really strong will die prematurely.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If you do manage to get it running 100% and have it running all the time then watch out for heat. Watch your fan, they die prematurely when run 100%.
Usually having them replaced is prohibitively expensive.
I found that blowing some air through the fan once a week kept them running best, but any component in there that isn't really strong will die prematurely.
This issue started to cripple my loving lappy from '04 around Xmass after running for 2 months solid. It would only be able to run 30-40 minutes at a time and then shut down.

I took BIONIC off it and it is now a happy camper. It was not crunching that much but every bite helps.

On the new laptop (target of this thread), I re-installed the BIONIC last night from the admin account. No options were presented during installation.

Will look at what that stats say this evening.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Problem solved - getting processing 24 hrs for two days straight. :thumbsup:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
@EagleKeeper: Well done.
OTOH: changing a fan on a laptop is not too bad. The fan may cost some USD more than normally, but it takes only some 30 - 45 minutes to change it. There are quite a few tear-down manuals and service manuals floating around on the net.
I have changed the fans of three of my kids laptops and that worked out very nice.
Ofcourse you also blow away all dust and all other stuff stuck in the laptop ...

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Peter, as regular maintenance do you use compressed air and blow dust out of the fan?
I found this made it so my fans lasted a lot longer.
Of course now I don't crunch at all with the laptop, since it's out of warranty and I want to continue using it.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
Peter, as regular maintenance do you use compressed air and blow dust out of the fan?
Of course now I don't crunch at all with the laptop, since it's out of warranty and I want to continue using it.

I do this at least once every two weeks...generally once a week.
There's always dust build up.

Just be sure to not allow the fan to rotate when blowing it.

A compressor does an even better job than the can of air...and in the end costs less. The cost part is particularly true when one has to maintain several workstations.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004

Yes, approx every 2 - 3 months ... and I keep the computer room, where the laptops are very clean ... as well as the general computer room: it is much easier to ´vacuum the floors and wharever once a week than 3 - 12 computers ...