Issue reg. DVD iso playback - random freezing/stuttering.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
While watching standard definition DVD isos, they occasionally freeze/stutter for 2-3 seconds, then resume. They skip the 2-3 seconds then resume; they don't pause for 2-3 seconds then resume. This happens in VLC. I haven't tried watching them in WMP. Now that I think of that, I will try it later tonight. This issue arises at seemingly random times, once or twice per movie. It seems to happen only when VLC is the only app I have actively running (aside from usual OS processes) - not when I'm multitasking.

System is free of any other issues.

I have a Phenom II X4 945 (C3), 8gb DDR2-800, and a 9800GT, running 7 Enterprise 64. The isos are stored on 1tb green drives - a Samsung F2 and a WD EARS. Hard drive scans report no issues.

Any ideas?

Edit: shit, wrong forum, my bad...mods please move :p

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is the ISO file corrupted, perhaps?

Different DVD players deal with file corruption differently. Some skip past the corruption, others, like PowerDVD 5, reset back to the beginning of the movie, on the assumption that unreadable data means that the movie has reached the end.

metroidfreak

May 22, 2010
use ctrl-alt-del to open the task manager. look up vlc in the processes and right click it setting the priority to high. That should fix it.

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
use ctrl-alt-del to open the task manager. look up vlc in the processes and right click it setting the priority to high. That should fix it.

Looks like things are running in the background which stops the HD your content is stored on to perform at full speed for just ISO playback.

Is your pagefile on the HD you store movie back ups on?

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Looks like things are running in the background which stops the HD your content is stored on to perform at full speed for just ISO playback.

Is your pagefile on the HD you store movie back ups on?

No, pagefile is on the SSD.

Is the ISO file corrupted, perhaps?

Different DVD players deal with file corruption differently. Some skip past the corruption, others, like PowerDVD 5, reset back to the beginning of the movie, on the assumption that unreadable data means that the movie has reached the end.

No, it happens with too many different files, including ones that were ripped from brand new DVDs.

Bah, I should've thought of that. I'll try it next week when I'm back home. I'll be surprised if that doesn't do the trick.

Thanks all for your time.