Israel's UN ambassador calls Jimmy Carter 'a bigot'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Giving Israel the moral high ground 100% of the time just makes me cringe.

If the Israeli's consider terrorism a means to an end when fighting for what they believe, then the same test must be applied to the Palestinians.

It can be applied to the Palestinians, but anyone who wages war against us MUST have war waged against them. They must be forced into surrendering so that they end their violence against us.

Yet amazingly despite some brutal beat downs at the hands of the Israeli's, the terrorists aren't really losing any ground.

Despite Israel killing ~3.4 Palestinians for every Israeli killed in a terror attack(It's greater than 5 to 1 if you look at children killed), they just keep coming.

Do they just need to up their game? Or is perhaps killing innocents not the best way to combat terror?

Either way, what they're rolling with isn't getting the job done.

You realize that the effect of your argument is only to make them demand more violence, and fewer restraints? Just as the solution to Vietnam was we didn't use enough violence?

There are people who only have a hammer, and everything looks like a nail to them. They know 'use the US military to kill anyone causing a problem', and that's about it.

Not working? Must be something preventing the military from doing enough killing, some hippies or liberals or something.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

If the Israeli's consider terrorism a means to an end when fighting for what they believe, then the same test must be applied to the Palestinians.

It can be applied to the Palestinians, but anyone who wages war against us MUST have war waged against them. They must be forced into surrendering so that they end their violence against us.

Yet amazingly despite some brutal beat downs at the hands of the Israeli's, the terrorists aren't really losing any ground.

Despite Israel killing ~3.4 Palestinians for every Israeli killed in a terror attack(It's greater than 5 to 1 if you look at children killed), they just keep coming.

Do they just need to up their game? Or is perhaps killing innocents not the best way to combat terror?

Yet when Israel goes on a campaign of targeting terrorist group leaders for assassination, all of a sudden pleas for cease fires abound. Shows the cowards for what they really are, all talk. They send children to blow themselves up in the name of allah but when their time comes suddenly martyrdom doesn't look so great.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Yet when Israel goes on a campaign of targeting terrorist group leaders for assassination, all of a sudden pleas for cease fires abound. Shows the cowards for what they really are, all talk. They send children to blow themselves up in the name of allah but when their time comes suddenly martyrdom doesn't look so great.

Fuckin' A.:thumbsup:

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
The United States does not (or at least should not be) negotiating with terrorists.

Hamas = Terrorist

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
The United States does not (or at least should not be) negotiating with terrorists.

Hamas = Terrorist

And Israel = terrorists. Where did this 3.4 to one Israeli to Hamas kill ratio come from? Bull total shit, truth be told its more like 3400 to 1 when you factor in innocent Palestinian civilians.

If you could just walk a 1/4" in Palestinian shoes, some of you pro Israeli nuts could understand something, but even asking that is too much?

Truth be told I think all sides are wrong, I only seem to be pro Palestinian because I have to be a counterbalance to total idiots.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw the Carter story on the news the other day. Its amazing that after 60 years of bloodshed, one of the worst, most incompetent presidents in American history solved the whole mess in 5 minutes by talking to only one side and blaming everything on the other. Gives me hope for what an even worse president, like Bush, might achieve after he "retires"...maybe he'll really get us to Mars like he promised.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

Palestinians never waged a war.

They were the leftovers of the Arab powers around them. They have been slaved for years.

First to the Arabs and now to the Israelis

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: scott
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Laughing at the fact that a major Israeli diplomat is calling a Nobel Peace Prize winner a 'bigot'.
<cutout>

Formerly this world's highest prize, the Nobel Peace Prize lost all credibility after it was awarded to Henry Kissinger.

Fixed, but it has not 'lost all credibility'.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

Hamas = Terrorist

Yes, we should resolve conflicts with terrorist organizations by talking with our allies.

Indeed, our peace treaty in Vietnam by talking with England was quite useful.

Of course, you're right, we really should not have been talking to the Contra terrorist army we created, or the terrorist organizations we created from the School of the Americas, or for that matter, the South Vietnamese terrorists we trained and sent into North Vietnam before the Gulf of Tonkin incident, oh and let's not forget the terrorists we trained to go into Cuba, and others.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Jerusalem = Yerushaláyim = The City of Perfect (or Heavenly) Peace

Ironic, isn't it?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As Jaskalas comes up with---------It can be applied to the Palestinians, but anyone who wages war against us MUST have war waged against them. They must be forced into surrendering so that they end their violence against us.

Yes that worked so well for the Germans and the Japanese in WW2. We must cram our ideals down the throats of everyone by violent means. Notice how well its working in Iraq and Afghanistan as we bankrupt ourselves. We are always 100% right and they are always 100% wrong gets us no where fast.

But getting back to Israel and the Palestinians, step one is to realize that both have legitimate grievances. And until this is resolved in some fair manner, the conflict will go on and on and on. Sixty years now and peace is no closer now than it was in 1948. Nor will peace be possible until a FAIR settlement is made. Sadly, as Israel builds on more and more disputed land, getting a fair peace becomes exponentially harder.

Simple minded thinking is for the simple minded. Given that most of us are smarter than that means stupidity is a course you choose.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
Jerusalem = Yerushaláyim = The City of Perfect (or Heavenly) Peace

Ironic, isn't it?

i thought it shalem was the old canaanite god for venus. supposedly the original inhabitants were from canaan ive read. so it could also mean city of venus. it is interesting to look into what the shekinah is; Shekhinah (- alternative transliterations Shekinah, Shechinah, Shekina, Shechina, Schechinah, ?????) is the English spelling of a feminine Hebrew language word that means the dwelling or settling, and is used to denote the dwelling or settling presence of God, especially in the Temple in Jerusalem.

and if u know what venus does (morning star/evening star) and how highly regarded it was to people back then, one might understand why the city was named jerusalem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekinah

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Doesn't qualify his accusations with anything, just the requisite "if you aren't 100% pro-Israel on all matters then you hate the jews" strawman that AIPAC weaklings like to throw out there.

That seems to be a pretty common attitude. Either you support Israel 100% or you're an anti-semitic Jew-hating son-of-a-bitch...

Personally, I don't give a shit about Jews one way or another, but I'm NOT pro-Israel.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Craig234

Of course, you're right, we really should not have been talking to the Contra terrorist army we created, or the terrorist organizations we created from the School of the Americas, or for that matter, the South Vietnamese terrorists we trained and sent into North Vietnam before the Gulf of Tonkin incident, oh and let's not forget the terrorists we trained to go into Cuba, and others.

Pssssssst. Loose lips sink ships!

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw the Carter story on the news the other day. Its amazing that after 60 years of bloodshed, one of the worst, most incompetent presidents in American history solved the whole mess in 5 minutes by talking to only one side and blaming everything on the other. Gives me hope for what an even worse president, like Bush, might achieve after he "retires"...maybe he'll really get us to Mars like he promised.
Caricaturist?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The American government is a 'bigot' for stealing my tax dollars and giving Israel free weapons.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Yes, they need to demolish the lands of those who wage war. Stepping up is the only way to ensure the terrorists are crippled. Striking back will always ensure that innocents die - that's the ENTIRE PURPOSE of terrorism it forces you to hit blind. Yet it in itself is only a stratagem of warfare. Anyone waging war must be forced into submission.

You pretend like you expect Israel?s limited strikes to be functional. To have achieved the goal I state. Yet you yourself admit how useless their actions have been. I make note that EVERY SINGLE time Israel does anything it is condemned both by the UN and US. Its hands are tied; the victor of this war is denied the right to end this war.

So which is the greatest crime against humanity - ending the war, or letting it continue? People die with either choice, your choice is not without blood ? the terrorist?s aggression ensures that. The blood of their victims is on your hands no matter how much you?d pretend some high moral ground is to be found. There isn?t, it?s a matter of taking sides in war. There will be a cost in lives with any choice made.