Israel trades 1000 Pal prisoners for 1 soldier

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Ignorance is what it is.

Hint upon reality, QuantumPion, Hamas no longer leads with it's elected mandate to head the Palestinian Authority.

Until a new election; Hamas is the elected party to represent the Palestinians. Fatah is in the picture only because they have control in the West Bank and are not actively targeting Israel; unlike Hamas and it's proxies

Or do you have some type of inside information of a political coup by Fatah that the world does not?:confused:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Why not? Someone who is imprisoned for no good reason is an especially good reason to fight for their release - see the 'hiker spies' we fought to get back from Iran.

Common sense should prevail

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I do not like this deal and expect I would not approve it.

SNIP DRIVEL

Several posters in this thread have shown this mentality of evil in their posts looking to express various ways of saying 'Palestinians are worth less than Israelis'.

SNIP DRIVEL

The Israelis must feel a lot of hate fot the Palestinians over their kidnapping of the soldier, wanting him back badly enough to view the release of many criminals as worth it.

SNIP DRIVEL
I should point out that it's the Palestinians who set the value of themselves at 1/1000 that of an Israeli; we Americans are merely congratulating them on their perspicuity. A normal person would not have to have that pointed out.

And the Israelis are willing to make this trade because of their love for their fellow man, not their hate for Palestinians. Otherwise they would be happy to have 1,000 Palestinians rot in prison at the cost of only one of their own. Certainly the Palestinians, who encourage their own to become suicide bombers to murder innocent Israelis, would never consider such a deal. As this proposal shows, it takes the freedom of a thousand Palestinians for them to consider freeing one lone Jew. Again, a normal person would not have to have that pointed out.

Man, even for a Craigpost this one is essence of fail.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Why not? Someone who is imprisoned for no good reason is an especially good reason to fight for their release - see the 'hiker spies' we fought to get back from Iran.

Common sense should prevail

That response presumably meant something to you.
Hamas is going to want their high value people released first.

They have a political fight coming up - they need any assistance that they can obtain.

Low level soldiers have less value than commanders and leaders.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Hamas is going to want their high value people released first.

They have a political fight coming up - they need any assistance that they can obtain.

Low level soldiers have less value than commanders and leaders.

So, they have '1000 high level people' in prison? That's almost as many as Al Queda has #2's.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Until a new election; Hamas is the elected party to represent the Palestinians.
Or do you have some type of inside information of a political coup by Fatah that the world does not?
I pointedly challenged a statement of the lank of open opposition in Palestine against Hamas.

Hamas has indeed lost its control of the Palestinian Authority in what is classified as a coup.

Other than in Gaza, Fatah is the governing body of Palestine.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I pointedly challenged a statement of the lank of open opposition in Palestine against Hamas.

Hamas has indeed lost its control of the Palestinian Authority in what is classified as a coup.

Other than in Gaza, Fatah is the governing body of Palestine.

There are two geographically areas where there are Palestinians (Gaza 1.6M and West Bank 1.7m).
Hamas controls one completely and has a presence in the other.
Fatah has a majority in the West Bank.

When was this coup; The supposed new Palestinian government that included Hamas. That was setup to push the statehood, not run the Palestinians. Every time the "government"/Fatah issued a statement; Hamas would immediately seem to refute it. The Fatah is only around because of Hamas attitude toward Israel as a "extremist".

Remember that Abbas did not even have the power last year to enter into negotiations with Israel (as provided by the WikiLeaks of Arab diplomatic discussions)

Until there actually are elections; Hamas is still the elected government; anything else is a political wet dream.

Last edited:

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
This deal is despicable. It's only made possible because Nethanyahu wants to silence the economical/social protests. Not only that hundreds of murders will be released, some of them are actually Israeli citizens of Arab descent that were involved in terrorism. This is simply unheard of.

A captured soldier should be released through military means, whatever the outcome is. Anything else is simply not acceptable. This is just another step in the moral rot eating away at the foundation of the Western world.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Until there actually are elections; Hamas is still the elected government; anything else is a political wet dream.
I hear, ya. Plus Qaddafi and Mubarak still rule their respected states.

No, EagleKeeper, your alternate reality truth for Israel distortion field will not work in this thread either. The undesirable fact for you is that Fatah rather than Hamas now govern the Palestinian Authority.

I see that your and Israeli propaganda bias would prefer it to be Hamas leading the government. It ain't so and therefore not so easy at all for blanket condemnation of Palestinians as wicked terrorists.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Hamas rules Gaza, Fatah rules West Bank (but only because Hamas lets it and Israel helps it). Of the two, Hamas, by far, has the military upper hand. While it is very convenient for Israel and the West to pretend as if Hamas doesn't exist, it is in fact the more powerful Palestinian faction simply because they are better armed and have a more radical ideology. It's taken few days for Hamas to eradicate Fatah in Gaza and the same would have happened in the West Bank if not for the Israeli army.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I hear, ya. Plus Qaddafi and Mubarak still rule their respected states.

No, EagleKeeper, your alternate reality truth for Israel distortion field will not work in this thread either. The undesirable fact for you is that Fatah rather than Hamas now govern the Palestinian Authority.

I see that your and Israeli propaganda bias would prefer it to be Hamas leading the government. It ain't so and therefore not so easy at all for blanket condemnation of Palestinians as wicked terrorists.

When did Fatah take over the PA?

When did Hamas state that they would subjugate themselves to Fatah?

In April 2011
Fatah, the Palestinian political organisation, has reached an agreement with its rival Hamas on forming an interim government and fixing a date for a general election, Egyptian intelligence has said.
Note: interim government and fixing a date for a general election,
Nothing about one being in charge over the other

In June 2001
Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas are supposed to have reconciled for the first time since they were at war in 2008, But the reconciliation has been fraught with problems. And now, the participants have canceled a high profile meeting scheduled for Tuesday to announce a new &#8220;unity government,&#8221;
Note: reconciliation has been fraught with problems. and canceled a high profile meeting scheduled for Tuesday to announce a new &#8220;unity government,&#8221;
Trouble in paradise - no government at this point

July 2001
JERUSALEM &#8212; A proposed Palestinian unity government that was touted two months ago as a potential Mideast game-changer has been stalled by familiar political realities and lingering antagonisms.

Since rival factions Fatah and Hamas announced a reconciliation after four years of feuding, the promised coalition government remains unformed due to disputes over who will serve as prime minister. Other goodwill measures, such as mutual prisoner releases, have also gone unfulfilled since May, and public attacks against each other have resumed.
Note: coalition government remains unformed and Other goodwill measures ... have also gone unfulfilled since May,
What government.

No interim/unity government - Hamas is still the politically elected government until new elections

Feb 2011
JERUSALEM &#8212; The Palestinian leadership announced Saturday that it planned to hold presidential and parliamentary elections by September, apparently a response to the revolts in Tunisia and Egypt calling for greater democracy and government accountability.

The decision was announced in the West Bank city of Ramallah after a meeting of the executive committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization, which oversees the Palestinian Authority. Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, is also the chairman of the P.L.O.

The Islamist Hamas faction rejected the plan for national elections, saying Mr. Abbas had no legitimacy to call for them since he was serving beyond his term.

The Palestinians have not held elections since 2006, when Hamas won a majority in the parliament, leading to a year and a half of uneasy power sharing and a brief civil war in June 2007. Since then, Hamas has governed Gaza and the Fatah-dominated Palestinian Authority has controlled the West Bank.

The Palestinian Authority announced that postponed local elections would be held in July, a move that Hamas also rejected.

Hamas has said it believes that elections should follow a reconciliation process between itself and Fatah, including a restructuring of the P.L.O. to include Hamas, which is currently excluded.

September has come and gone.
No elections - no representative government - no one is politically in charge for the Palestinians.
Hamas was the last elected group; Fatah has Abbas from the PLO/PA (political type appointee); yet the PA has stated that he had no authority to negotiate last year.

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I formally propose we adopt the Palestinian as our new world currency.

While I'd ordinarily resist attempts to turn this thread into an exercise in clownishness, I have to admit that made me LOL.

Oh and Craig, man you can be obtuse sometimes.

- wolf

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Ok Ek, lets look at it this way. Right now the Palestinians have been divided for some six years. Those under Hamas feel they must use violence to free themselves, and those under Fatah are dedicated to non violent means.

Somewhat a total universe of strategies. When neither strategies advance their cause, what strategy do you advocate the Pals use?

As it is, now that the Israelis have lost the co-operation of Egypt and Jordan, its going to send a horrible message to Fatah if Hamas de facto frees itself first. As Fatah gains control of its own land, sea, and air space as any Israeli embargo of the Hamas becomes a thing of the past. Because Jordon can and likely will end any Israeli embargo of the West Bank economy.

As you look around the world EK, its the larger world that has lost all respect for Israeli bullshit. And when Israeli tries the Uncle Sammy save us trick, they will discover Uncle Sammy has lost all credibility too.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
Wonder what the US government would give up, if anything to get the American that's been held by the taliban for the last couple of years back. Is there a Gitmo detainee to American soldier conversion ratio anywhere?

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
Sounds about right. Of course you mix Americans into it and 12 isreali soldiers are probably worth 1 american so 12000 palistinians for 1 American.

Actually, 1 American is = to ~1,657,000 palestinians because the US would never allow their soldier to be captured and not hold restraint like the Israel has on gaza

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44861388/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/

Cliff's note:

Netanyahu made a deal with Hamas to release Gilad Schalit, IDF soldier held by Hamas for years, in exchange for releasing 1,000 Palestinian prisoners, including hundreds serving life sentences for murder.

Apparently, Egypt's new government helped broker the deal.

I'm rather stunned at the lopsidedness of this deal. It would seem to set Israeli security interests way back. Purportedly this is a political move for Netanyahu because the release of Schalit could make him a "hero" but I have to think it's a political mixed bag at best.

- wolf

In the Israeli's eyes, it will all work out - since the IDF will now get to shoot and kill these 1,000 prisoners in a few weeks time.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
This deal is despicable. It's only made possible because Nethanyahu wants to silence the economical/social protests. Not only that hundreds of murders will be released, some of them are actually Israeli citizens of Arab descent that were involved in terrorism. This is simply unheard of.

A captured soldier should be released through military means, whatever the outcome is. Anything else is simply not acceptable. This is just another step in the moral rot eating away at the foundation of the Western world.

I agree with this in most cases. According to the Shabak director, the deal only happened now because Hamas backed off of their key demand, releasing Marwan Barghouti, Abdullah Barghouti, Ibrahim Hamed and Ahmed Sa'adat. Israel says they will not be released as part of the deal.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
While I'd ordinarily resist attempts to turn this thread into an exercise in clownishness, I have to admit that made me LOL.

Oh and Craig, man you can be obtuse sometimes.

- wolf
Something this grave I find hard to process without using gallows humor as a crutch.

I agree with this in most cases. According to the Shabak director, the deal only happened now because Hamas backed off of their key demand, releasing Marwan Barghouti, Abdullah Barghouti, Ibrahim Hamed and Ahmed Sa'adat. Israel says they will not be released as part of the deal.
Nice to know only the garden varieties of murderers will be released, not the masters.

In other news, the quality of good news in Israel has severely declined.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Nice to know only the garden varieties of murderers will be released, not the masters.

In other news, the quality of good news in Israel has severely declined.

I'm opposed to the deal. Just showing why, in their view, it happened now.
They released Yassin in a swap before. This is not unprecedented.
But releasing Barghouti for Shalit would have been a total disaster.