Israel to colonize new Palestinian territory

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: Narmer
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
They won it in a war they didnt start. Build away. We in the west like to draw an arbitrary line in history as to when it was no longer acceptable to keep the land you conquer. Convenient for us that we did all our land grabs before that date.

Incorrect. The 1967 war was pre-emptive on Israel's part, or so they claim. They're the ones who started shooting first...

But I'm sure it's convenient to claim otherwise.

The "Roadmap to Peace" is just a joint Israeli/Neocon PR move, a propaganda ploy. Israelis have consistently traded peace for territory, other than with Egypt over the Sinai- who'd want it, anyway? They'll continue to do so, so long as Uncle Sam sits in the corner, wringing his hands in mock horror...

Anybody with an objective view of history knows damn well that Israel's neighbors were amassing their armies for an attack. I havent even seen Syria, Egypt, etc deny this.

The question was who attacked first? Can you deny that it was the Israelis? If I was Israeli I would've attacked first myself but don't obfuscate the truth with an "end justifies the means" answer.

What is the point of splitting hairs here? Israel's neighbors were amassing an army to attack Israel. Doesnt really matter who fired the first shot. Israel didnt decide to start a war, they just decided to win it.

Of course they did. Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I dont know why you people throw around the word "deserve". "Deserving" something gets you nothing in international affairs. You only deserve what you take by force and can defend. The Indians deserves North America until we took it from them. The Mexicans deserved the southwest until we took it from them. No country on this planet has any room to tell anybody else what they deserve and what they dont. All you keyboard commandos out there are sitting on land right now that was warred over by your ancestors. It's good to be the victor...aint it??

Nope, what's wrong is wrong. If the US was currently trying to steal land and slaughter Indians I would be completely against it.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Martin
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
So they're not supposed to fight, they're not supposed to complain, they're not supposed to negotiate... what exactly do you want them to do? Kill themselves and leave their land to Israelis?

They could put down their arms and live in peace. Gosh, that's so hard to even contemplate eh?

When you're being treated like cattle, it is indeed very hard to contemplate. Basically when someone takes away their land and homes, they're supposed to simply give it up and go away somewhere. When their homes or farms get destroyed, they need to just smile and rebuild. When their kids get killed, they should be thankful they didn't kill the entire family.

This will obviously come as a surprise to you and others similarly out of touch with reality, but poeple don't like being treated like cattle - they get mad and fight back.

Sometimes defeat is hard to accept. Billions of people have been defeated in history and treated much worse. Just a few centuries ago, defeat usually meant mass rape and slaughter. Hell, Japan practiced such techniques less than a centry ago.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: flavio
I dont know why you people throw around the word "deserve". "Deserving" something gets you nothing in international affairs. You only deserve what you take by force and can defend. The Indians deserves North America until we took it from them. The Mexicans deserved the southwest until we took it from them. No country on this planet has any room to tell anybody else what they deserve and what they dont. All you keyboard commandos out there are sitting on land right now that was warred over by your ancestors. It's good to be the victor...aint it??

Nope, what's wrong is wrong. If the US was currently trying to steal land and slaughter Indians I would be completely against it.

Easy to say when your ancestors did the dirty work for you.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
They won it in a war they didnt start. Build away. We in the west like to draw an arbitrary line in history as to when it was no longer acceptable to keep the land you conquer. Convenient for us that we did all our land grabs before that date.

Incorrect. The 1967 war was pre-emptive on Israel's part, or so they claim. They're the ones who started shooting first...

The "Roadmap to Peace" is just a joint Israeli/Neocon PR move, a propaganda ploy. Israelis have consistently traded peace for territory, other than with Egypt over the Sinai- who'd want it, anyway? They'll continue to do so, so long as Uncle Sam sits in the corner, wringing his hands in mock horror...

Anybody with an objective view of history knows damn well that Israel's neighbors were amassing their armies for an attack. I havent even seen Syria, Egypt, etc deny this.

The question was who attacked first? Can you deny that it was the Israelis? If I was Israeli I would've attacked first myself but don't obfuscate the truth with an "end justifies the means" answer.

What is the point of splitting hairs here? Israel's neighbors were amassing an army to attack Israel. Doesnt really matter who fired the first shot. Israel didnt decide to start a war, they just decided to win it.

Jesus christ, are you really that dense? So if someone points a gun at you, your the agressor if you shoot him first?

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006

Jesus christ, are you really that dense? So if someone points a gun at you, your the agressor if you shoot him first?

No but I still shot them first and that's the truth. Hey, I agreed with you on what Israel did but you are trying to claim that the Arabs started the war when they clearly didn't.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

No but I still shot them first and that's the truth. Hey, I agreed with you on what Israel did but you are trying to claim that the Arabs started the war when they clearly didn't.

We'll just conclude this argument then. It has no point.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: flavio

Easy to say when your ancestors did the dirty work for you.

If you have morals it's easy to say anytime.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

You said "The question was who attacked first? "

If a gang had your house surrounded, guns drawn, with the obvious intent of invading your house, would you be considered the agressor if you started the shooting or would you be considered defending your home?

If someone came up to you and pulled a knife on you, ready to kill you, but then you pulled out a gun and shot them, would you be considered the attacker?

In a war, you have one side that attacks and one side that defends, Israel was the defender.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
So they're not supposed to fight, they're not supposed to complain, they're not supposed to negotiate... what exactly do you want them to do? Kill themselves and leave their land to Israelis?

They could put down their arms and live in peace. Gosh, that's so hard to even contemplate eh?

When you're being treated like cattle, it is indeed very hard to contemplate. Basically when someone takes away their land and homes, they're supposed to simply give it up and go away somewhere. When their homes or farms get destroyed, they need to just smile and rebuild. When their kids get killed, they should be thankful they didn't kill the entire family.

This will obviously come as a surprise to you and others similarly out of touch with reality, but poeple don't like being treated like cattle - they get mad and fight back.

Sometimes defeat is hard to accept. Billions of people have been defeated in history and treated much worse. Just a few centuries ago, defeat usually meant mass rape and slaughter. Hell, Japan practiced such techniques less than a centry ago.

Well, perhaps you think Ghenghis Khan was the pinnacle of human civilization and people today need to be held up to that standard (a rather common view amongst war supporters, many of whom are mad the US army isn't a pack of barbarians), but us crazy radicals have this weird notion of "progress" and that involves things like saying genocide is wrong, regardless of who did it in the past.
http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/2007_03_19_New%20Republic.pdf

Israelis recognize this of course, which is why they're such vile hypocrites. They know what they're doing is wrong, so even as they kill hundreds of innocent civilians, bulldoze homes and build settlements and appease their rabid religious fanatics, they have an army of PR people telling everyone how wonderful and civlized they are. You can't have it both ways.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The Palestinian chief negotiator, Saeb Erekat, said the plan destroyed efforts to re-start the peace process

Bummer, that was going along so well....

Fern

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Israel has the right to kill every last fighter, as far as I'm concerned.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

Well, perhaps you think Ghenghis Khan was the pinnacle of human civilization and people today need to be held up to that standard (a rather common view amongst war supporters, many of whom are mad the US army isn't a pack of barbarians), but us crazy radicals have this weird notion of "progress" and that involves things like saying genocide is wrong, regardless of who did it in the past.

Israelis recognize this of course, which is why they're such vile hypocrites. They know what they're doing is wrong, so even as they kill hundreds of innocent civilians, bulldoze homes and build settlements and appease their rabid religious fanatics, they have an army of PR people telling everyone how wonderful and civlized they are. You can't have it both ways.

Until everyone is a pacifist like you, peace loving people have to maintain the capacity to inflict incredible violence on those that stand to do them harm. Israel, being surrounded by people that want them wiped off the map, doesnt have the luxury of your wishy washy ideals, which I imagine your espousing from a location where oceans seperate you from harm. The palestinians are very fortunate that Israel shows more restraint than them, because given their abilities, if Israel behaved like their neighbors, they could kill every last palestinian man, woman, and child, just as their neighbors would like to do to them. Lets be thankful Israel isnt as barbaric as her neighbors.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Do police commit genocide when they kill a shooter? Did we commit genocide in WW2 when we fought our enemies? Same thing still applies today, those who have sworn to kill us must they themselves die first and it is our duty to ensure that happens. Peaceful people should not be bothered, but the fighters and their enablers should be dealt with brutally and swiftly.

They ALWAYS have the option to surrender and be peaceful, it is their choice to try and kill us and it is our DUTY to stop it.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003

Until everyone is a pacifist like you, peace loving people have to maintain the capacity to inflict incredible violence on those that stand to do them harm. Israel, being surrounded by people that want them wiped off the map, doesnt have the luxury of your wishy washy ideals, which I imagine your espousing from a location where oceans seperate you from harm. The palestinians are very fortunate that Israel shows more restraint than them, because given their abilities, if Israel behaved like their neighbors, they could kill every last palestinian man, woman, and child, just as their neighbors would like to do to them. Lets be thankful Israel isnt as barbaric as her neighbors.

Aye. The zionists are so magnanimous. They steal the Palestinian land out of the goodness of their hearts.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Maybe the Palestinian Suicide Bomber Mickey Mouse can fly in and save the day for the oppressed Palestinians.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
Maybe the Palestinian Suicide Bomber Mickey Mouse can fly in and save the day for the oppressed Palestinians.

Heh, that reminds me of the US officer who during the Vietnam war laughed at the stupid NV g**k, who'd spend weeks running hundreds of miles along the Ho Chi Minh trail with three mortar rounds on his back, only for a mortarman to fire off those rounds in three seconds.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
This is just typical antisemitic BS actually.

Egypt clearly committed an act of war by blockading the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping, which clearly violated the rules of international navigation, they just were not prepared to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Tangerines

Oct 20, 2005

On the eve of the 1967 war, thousands of troops from Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Iraq were massing along the Israeli border. Israel had every right to strike, as it was evident that they were going to be invaded. It wasn't like the Israelis just randomly started attacking the rest of the Middle East.

Really though, this whole debate is ridiculous. Israel has taken on the whole Middle East several times now and won decisively. And yet, the Palestinian leadership refuses to even believe that the Israelis have a right to exist? They're completely screwing over their own people by being so stubborn and narrow-minded.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Tangerines

On the eve of the 1967 war, thousands of troops from Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Iraq were massing along the Israeli border. Israel had every right to strike, as it was evident that they were going to be invaded. It wasn't like the Israelis just randomly started attacking the rest of the Middle East.

Really though, this whole debate is ridiculous. Israel has taken on the whole Middle East several times now and won decisively. And yet, the Palestinian leadership refuses to even believe that the Israelis have a right to exist? They're completely screwing over their own people by being so stubborn and narrow-minded.

Palestine is neither of the nations you named.
They were slaves and they are slaves now They shouldn't pay the price of anyone's army.
They never had an army and they don't have an army now

Just because the Arabs around them decided to use them doesn't mean they should have to be a victim today. They were the victim always.
Time to free the Palestinians... not from Israelis.. but from everyone around them.

Also, Israel never fought the entire Middle East. The strongest nations in the M.E during the 1960s and 1970s were to the upper East. They were allies of the U.S and friends of Israel.

The other M.E nations to the far South were starting to buy cars and get rid of their donkeys. They didn't get involved.

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
I have a strong opinion on this conflict, but if I post it, I will just get banned.

But let me just say, I wouldn't shed a tear if a disaster wiped out the whole Middle East.