Israel ready to bomb Iran nuke plant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002
plus israel get planes from the US every year. No way they would win... though it would be interesting if Israel was losing and asked for the US help and they said they wouldn't. Finally the middle east would be "free" and they could carbomb each other till they ran out of cars.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
After Chernobyl who would rely on Russia for nuclear power advice and technology unless they were truly desperate.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01
After Chernobyl who would rely on Russia for nuclear power advice and technology unless they were truly desperate.

cheap price(there wasn't exactly a bidding war to see who gets to build them) . from what I've gathered, they've had help from other nations, north korea, and elusive pakistani scientists. Most of Iran's nuclear aspiration have been indigenous

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I've yet to see Israel lose a single war. Besides if they attack Iran, who would give the Iranians over-flight rights? Certainly not a US-occupied Iraq, let alone Turkey, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emrites, or Qatar, all with US military presence. Iran would respond the only way they know how, calling out the terror nexus to strike at Jewish interests around the globe like they did in Argentina.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Actually, Russia has VERY capable nuclear scientists. Some of the best in the world in fact. Since collaboration between our countries began their scientists have contributed quite a bit to our own programs. Chernobyl's faults were more financial than technical.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Are u guys kidding me?

The IAF is probably in the top 3 most highly trained and capable air forces in the world. NO ONE in the middle east can even dream about defeating Israel. Just look at the Iraq, Syria, Egypt alliance that was humiliated by Israel on several occasions.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nobody would have a chance against Israel. Israel is as powerful as the Roman Empire.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Matt2
Are u guys kidding me?

The IAF is probably in the top 3 most highly trained and capable air forces in the world. NO ONE in the middle east can even dream about defeating Israel. Just look at the Iraq, Syria, Egypt alliance that was humiliated by Israel on several occasions.

who said anything about defeating israel? Iran does not have much of a army, but they do have a volunteer force that probably numbers into the tens of millions - the perks of having a young population. But, it's irrelevent, they'd never get to Israel to begin with, because they certainly aint going thru American Iraq.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rickn
Are u guys kidding me?

who said anything about defeating israel? Iran does not have much of a army, but they do have a volunteer force that probably numbers into the tens of millions - the perks of having a young population. But, it's irrelevent, they'd never get to Israel to begin with, because they certainly aint going thru American Iraq.

no one thought about Israel needing to go through Iraq also?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar

they'd have to fly over syria or jordan first. good luck getting overflight rights there

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix

they'd have to fly over syria or jordan first. good luck getting overflight rights there

point is that they both have to go through someone elses airspace and any of those parties that would agree to let one side go through would have taken a stand in that conflict, at this moment I dont think any of them are willing to take that risk, would be extremely stupid of both Israel or Iran to do anything

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Iran will just attack Iraq and the U.S death toll will jump into the thousands.

Iran has a military power of 500,000 people. However in Iran just like in Israel every male at the age of 18 has to serve in the military for 2 years. Doesn't help that 60% of the population are young. They can call up the millions of people they need to fight in any war, but I don't get how they are going to make them fight if they do not want to fight. I can see them wanting to attack Israel for attacking them as a legit reason. As far as the U.S they will put their guns down, but the extremist which number in the 150,000 will probably head to Iraq to fight.

Iran's military is split. One-side is pro regime the other is pro-president. However, these 2 forces have never clashed. The president of Iran wants a more democratic government, but he does not have any power at all. Final say is the Ayatollas.

Also if Israel attacks Iran I see Iran sending in tons of weapons to Hezbollah to do the attacking for them. This time they'll send them whatever they have and Iran has a lot.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Are u guys kidding me?

They wouldnt have that as a perk. Irans young population doesnot like its rulers. Do you think they would rise up to a call from those they hate? I dont think so, if anything they would use it as a chance to rise up against the Iranian leadership.

Cesar

Banned
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: Matt2 Are u guys kidding me? The IAF is probably in the top 3 most highly trained and capable air forces in the world. NO ONE in the middle east can even dream about defeating Israel. Just look at the Iraq, Syria, Egypt alliance that was humiliated by Israel on several occasions.
They wouldnt have that as a perk. Irans young population doesnot like its rulers. Do you think they would rise up to a call from those they hate? I dont think so, if anything they would use it as a chance to rise up against the Iranian leadership.

Iranians are very patriotic about their country if anyone attacks them they will all joined forces together and fight. A good example the Iran-Irak war

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Cesar
Originally posted by: Matt2 Are u guys kidding me? The IAF is probably in the top 3 most highly trained and capable air forces in the world. NO ONE in the middle east can even dream about defeating Israel. Just look at the Iraq, Syria, Egypt alliance that was humiliated by Israel on several occasions.

Iranians are very patriotic about their country if anyone attacks them they will all joined forces together and fight. A good example the Iran-Irak war
another example, the axis of evil speech

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Are u guys kidding me?

they may dislike their rulers, they dislike Israelis even more. So yes, I think they would fight for their country. It would be interesting to see what response they would have if Israel did attack. My guess is they might go after American interests in the region, especially in the gulf. They could all but stop commercial ship traffic thru the area if they likened. It would be a big problem for the oil business

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why do any of you assume that Israel would ASK for overflight rights? Just like in the '81 bombing they would not ask permission, anyone that tried to interceed would be attacked. With American's in Iraq they would likely notify the US before flight to avoid conflict with the US but otherwise they are not going to ask Syria or Jordan's permision to make the strike.

It amazes me that some of the posters in this thread think that international politics should be fair. Life isn't fair and neither is international politics.

Cesar

Banned
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: rahvin
Why do any of you assume that Israel would ASK for overflight rights? Just like in the '81 bombing they would not ask permission, anyone that tried to interceed would be attacked. With American's in Iraq they would likely notify the US before flight to avoid conflict with the US but otherwise they are not going to ask Syria or Jordan's permision to make the strike. It amazes me that some of the posters in this thread think that international politics should be fair. Life isn't fair and neither is international politics.

You're right we shouldn't play fair with Isreal, because they are not fair.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Iranians are very patriotic when it comes to their their country because of the iran-iraq war? Their country was being invaded. Any country that is being invaded people will fight. Iraq was trying to takeover all of Iran. Why wouldn't the people fight?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: rahvin
Why do any of you assume that Israel would ASK for overflight rights? Just like in the '81 bombing they would not ask permission, anyone that tried to interceed would be attacked. With American's in Iraq they would likely notify the US before flight to avoid conflict with the US but otherwise they are not going to ask Syria or Jordan's permision to make the strike.

It amazes me that some of the posters in this thread think that international politics should be fair. Life isn't fair and neither is international politics.

They would not ask for rights, nor would those firing missles at those planes. Sufficient technology exists in the area to make things rough for both sides. This would not be pretty, and people ought to hope it does not come to pass expecially with Iraq for the US to handle.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix

point is that they both have to go through someone elses airspace and any of those parties that would agree to let one side go through would have taken a stand in that conflict, at this moment I dont think any of them are willing to take that risk, would be extremely stupid of both Israel or Iran to do anything

Funny, Israel had no problem with getting rights from Jordan in 1981, I doubt they'll ask again, if they ever did. They might ask the US in Iraq, though, because, unlike Jordan, our missiles can blow them out of the sky. As for overflight rights from iran, nobody will say yes. Even if they agree, the US and Israel signed a 1994 agreement to share information. That means that any flight that leaves iranian airspace will be closely monitored, like it is today, and the info will be relayed to the necessary parties.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
If Israel was planning on taking out the Iranian plant, I gurarantee you the Washington Post (or any other media outlet) wouldn't have a factual clue untill it actually happened. Suspicions, maybe, but not facts.