Israel pounding the war drums to attack Iran ahead of the US election.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The resolutions are a bunch of political BS created by the Arabs and the old USSR block.

The Arabs ignore them, they were used as a political statement against Israel because she refused to roll over for the Arabs.

UN resolutions have no serious teeth unless the big boys want them to.
What are they going to do; invade Israel over the Palestinians who continually attack Israel but are never scolded.

Every time the Arabs have challenged Israel; Israel has slapped them down and the Arabs go running to the UN for protection;
when has Israel ever asked the UN for protection - the UN has demonstrated bias against Israel.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Excuse me sixone, where does this stuff come from, we are talking about Israel pre-emptively and unilaterally attacking Iran, and Israel making up the flimsiest excuses beforehand.

If Israel does so to Iran, Iran will not have to invent any phony excuses to counter attack Israel as it would become Iran's legitimate right to counterattack Israel.

What you are saying sixone in "Iran will not wait to counter-attack Israel. They'll make something up, or attack on the flimsiest of excuses." is the equivalent of saying when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor on 12/7/1941 gave the USA no right to attack Japan.

Iran's work towards nuclear capability is hardly a "flimsy excuse". If Israel doesn't attack those nuclear facilities, Iran will make the first strike, as soon as they're able. They've made that more than clear.

Do try to stick to the topic. You can surely make a point without detouring to Pearl Harbor, can't you?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Iran's work towards nuclear capability is hardly a "flimsy excuse". If Israel doesn't attack those nuclear facilities, Iran will make the first strike, as soon as they're able. They've made that more than clear.

How does Iran having nuclear power hurt Israel?
How has Iran made it clear that they are going to attack Israel?
We defiantly can see that Netanyahu wants to attack Iran

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

The OP bases his claim for war based on an article that clearly does not back up his claims. I posted a relevant part from it. So "definitely" applies to the current situation while Iranian bluster and refusal to take nuclear power that won't get it a bomb is coincidence? If Israel wanted to attack there is nothing more needed. BOOM! Since it hasn't happened there are obviously other considerations in play. If Israel wants to start a war they are going about it in a whole new level of stupid.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Now your changing the subject to UN resolutions.....

How many UN resolutions have there been against the Arabs and others who would dare do harm to Israel??? can we say there is an unfounded bias against Israel in the UN??

If you were honest you would know that once Arab ass gets whipped they really do come running to whoever will listen be it the Un or even the United states seeking comfort......

None of that counters what I originally offered in the slightest. The US has protected Israel from the wrath of the international community many times. The US has also rushed to provide spare parts, ordnance & diplomatic support when Israel needed them.

Hence, coattails.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004

We can say it definitely, too. Except we should be clear that Netanyahu wants to attack nuclear sites ONLY, not the country at large.

Ahmadinejad, on the other hand, has made it clear that he wants Israel destroyed completely.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The scary thing is that if Israel was to attack this is the perfect time. Libya is in shamble, Egypt is in shambles, Syria is in shambles and Turkey is distracted by Syria.

If there was a more hawkish president in the white house I would be alarmed.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
An Iran who would have the legitimare right to counter attack Israel with a barrage of very accurate missiles a second after the first Israeli bomb falls
Just FYI I laughed at this. Iran cannot meaningfully counter-attack Israel. That's the point. Israel has the upper hand, so whatever happens here is on their terms.

Of course if push comes to shove Israel has on call some US carrier fleets, no matter what Obama might be saying right now. This is obvious.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The OP bases his claim for war based on an article that clearly does not back up his claims. I posted a relevant part from it. So "definitely" applies to the current situation while Iranian bluster and refusal to take nuclear power that won't get it a bomb is coincidence? If Israel wanted to attack there is nothing more needed. BOOM! Since it hasn't happened there are obviously other considerations in play. If Israel wants to start a war they are going about it in a whole new level of stupid.

Ya, nobody knows what really goes on with these people
I'm pretty sure Iran has valid reasons not to have to trust other countries for their power supplies

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Of course if push comes to shove Israel has on call some US carrier fleets, no matter what Obama might be saying right now. This is obvious.

Therefore, it would be an extreme violation of our trust & friendship for Netanyahu to attack w/o our say-so.

Apr 27, 2012
We can say it definitely, too. Except we should be clear that Netanyahu wants to attack nuclear sites ONLY, not the country at large.

Ahmadinejad, on the other hand, has made it clear that he wants Israel destroyed completely.

Not true at all, he is against the REGIME not the people there are over 20,000 Jews living in Iran and Ahmadinejad hasn't harmed them, he protects them and some are even elected politicians

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Ya, nobody knows what really goes on with these people
I'm pretty sure Iran has valid reasons not to have to trust other countries for their power supplies

What's being offered is material and technical aid to get a low enrichment program off the ground and this time they have an offer to let them produce LEU sufficient for their purposes. I posted a timeline of official offers, and while Iran and North Korea have played games consistently I doubt you can find offers taken away by the West. Unless Iran decides to do HEU regardless, they can have what they say they want and produce their own fuel. What rational reason does Iran have to act as they do? Damned if I can find one based on real world concerns.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
What rational reason does Iran have to act as they do?

Power

Power is frequently defined by political scientists as the ability to influence the behavior of others with or without resistance. The term authority is often used for power perceived as legitimate by the social structure. Power can be seen as evil or unjust, but the exercise of power is accepted as endemic to humans as social beings. In the corporate environment, power is often expressed as upward or downward. With downward power, a company's superior influences subordinates. When a company exerts upward power, it is the subordinates who influence the decisions of the leader (Greiner & Schein, 1988). Often, the study of power in a society is referred to as politics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_(philosophy)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
None of that counters what I originally offered in the slightest. The US has protected Israel from the wrath of the international community many times. The US has also rushed to provide spare parts, ordnance & diplomatic support when Israel needed them.

Hence, coattails.

If you mean the United states has stopped those who unfairly tried to place sanctions against Israel via the UN to whip up on Israel. Then guilty as charged.

Yet as always instead of addressing the truth -- which I posted you try to do an end run around the truth.

hence you are anti Israel...thats all just come out and man up to it.....notice i didn`t say you were anti - Jew....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Therefore, it would be an extreme violation of our trust & friendship for Netanyahu to attack w/o our say-so.
You have a convoluted opinion of our influence over Israel......they will do as they please and if they do feel their very existence is threatened they will act without consulting anybody...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Even if Achminejad, the man everyone loves to hate is a serial motormouth, Achmadinejad has no real power inside Iran. Neither Iranian legislators or the Mullahs of Iran who hold the real Veto power inside Iran pay any attention to Achmadinejad.

And that matter, Achmadinejad is very unpopular inside Iran because his economic policies totally failed. And as it is, the Mullahs have called Achmadinejad onto the carpet quite a few times recently.

But still Achmadijad stays simply because he deflects critism away from the Mullah's as useful whipping boy. As something others would call a running dog. Lots of loud barking attracts attention, But still all bark and no real bite.

Or another way to put it US dog owners, do you let your dogs set your agenda?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

Then Iran can deal with the consequences of it's foolishness. If we were talking about a perpetual situation of dependency then I could understand, however OPEC nations have a pretty good understanding of power without nuclear energy. The reason that anyone cares about the ME is because of the value of its oil to commerce, a situation I'd like to drastically alter.

Nevertheless, I used "rational" purposefully. Iran has no real power other than its oil and the world might decide at some point that it's not worth it. I suggest the problem isn't power but ego. Foolish indeed. Still they can do whatever they want, but one shouldn't expect that to last forever. They might have a demonstration as to what power really is and I would not like to subject the Iranian citizens to that. Their leaders? I'd kick their butts myself :biggrin: