Israel destroyed a partly constructed Syrian nuclear reactor.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Why are all the arab countries so quiet, and none have asked for a UN vote to condemn Israel?

Good question. If Syria's action were legal under the treaty, one would expect them to complain loudly.

Why is everyone so quiet? Curious?

Fern

What do you mean if? Syria's actions have not violated any part of the treaty as I stated above. They have a right to build a nuclear reactor for energy needs and the right to not disclose it during it's early phases of construction as well as a right to complete it's construction. Oh and they did file a complaint over this in the UN. The reason this whole situation has remained quiet here in the US is because of the strangle hold the Israel lobby and it's friends have over our media. I guarantee you this was big news in Syria, the rest of the Middle-East and other parts of the world.

Here is a cached link to the original afp article which clearly states they filed a complaint with UN.

http://66.218.69.11/search/cac...edmPkBo&icp=1&.intl=us

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Why are all the arab countries so quiet, and none have asked for a UN vote to condemn Israel?

Probably because Israeli intelligence was correct and they did, in fact, strike a nuclear site.

It does not matter if it was correct intel or not. Syria has a right under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty to build their own nuclear reactor sites for their energy needs. In fact they have already one small nuclear reactor running which they've had for a long time now.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Aimster
Originally posted by: jman19
Because Saudi Arabia is not right next to Israel. How do you think Syria built their military? That is how Arabs fight. One side fights and the others provide the weapons/funding and sit back and watch. Saudi Arabia might not have been physically involved in a war with Israel, but it sure as hell was part of the funding for the campaign against Israel.

Syria will never attack Israel again. If Syria had any balls at all they would have launched rocket attacks into Israel for their air attack. The leadership of Syria is more focused on survival.
Assad is a coward and this weakness benefits Israel.

Yes and that is why Syria gets treated differently, genius. As a neighbor who has had a violent relationship with Israel and does its own share of funneling weapons to Israel's enemies, it is a bigger target for Israel.

Syria has chemical weapons.
Syria is not giving anyone chemical weapons. What the hell makes anyone think they would give them nuclear weapons?

Saudi Arabia is a fanatical regime with fanatical people behind the show. You obviously do not know what the hell is going on inside Saudi Arabia and what their mindset is.

Saudi Arabia gives people funds and weapons. People who fought Israel. Yet you are claiming that they are not a threat to Israel so it is OK for them to build nuclear technology.

Syria is a neighbor of Israel's that has fought against it.

Saudi Arabia is not.

That is pretty much what guides Israels policy against Syria. It's not that complicated.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Because Saudi Arabia is not right next to Israel. How do you think Syria built their military? That is how Arabs fight. One side fights and the others provide the weapons/funding and sit back and watch. Saudi Arabia might not have been physically involved in a war with Israel, but it sure as hell was part of the funding for the campaign against Israel.

Syria will never attack Israel again. If Syria had any balls at all they would have launched rocket attacks into Israel for their air attack. The leadership of Syria is more focused on survival.

Yes and that is why Syria gets treated differently, genius. As a neighbor who has had a violent relationship with Israel and does its own share of funneling weapons to Israel's enemies, it is a bigger target for Israel.

Syria has chemical weapons.
Syria is not giving anyone chemical weapons. What the hell makes anyone think they would give them nuclear weapons?

Saudi Arabia is a fanatical regime with fanatical people behind the show. You obviously do not know what the hell is going on inside Saudi Arabia and what their mindset is.

Saudi Arabia gives people funds and weapons. People who fought Israel. Yet you are claiming that they are not a threat to Israel so it is OK for them to build nuclear technology.

Syria is a neighbor of Israel's that has fought against it.

Saudi Arabia is not.

That is pretty much what guides Israels policy against Syria. It's not that complicated.

You clearly glossed over Aimsters points. Saudi Arabia provided a lot of funding to the Arab nations during those wars. It's pretty much the same thing as being involved in the fighting except they did it via proxy funding.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As jaman19 points out---Syria is a neighbor of Israel's that has fought against it.

Saudi Arabia is not.

It may not be that complicated but the complication lies in deciding if its smart or not? Given that might is right has done zero to create a mid-east peace for 60 out of 60 years,
it may well be time to ask the smart questions? Not just of Israel, but also the USA. Or shall we say in chant 60 more years, 60 more years?

While we wait for some total hot head terrorists that will solve the Israeli question with poison gas or a nuke acquired from left field? The Israeli fantasy is that they can reduce that probability by angering all their neighboring States.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
As jaman19 points out---Syria is a neighbor of Israel's that has fought against it.

Saudi Arabia is not.

It may not be that complicated but the complication lies in deciding if its smart or not? Given that might is right has done zero to create a mid-east peace for 60 out of 60 years,
it may well be time to ask the smart questions? Not just of Israel, but also the USA. Or shall we say in chant 60 more years, 60 more years.

Oh, I never said I necessarily agree with what Israel did...

It is easy to see that they are quick on the trigger, though it isn't hard to see why. They have a pretty heavy hand.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

No Aimster, Assad is not a fool and will pick different battlegrounds. There will be an future Israeli price to pay and mid-east peace is not advanced. That is the reality that should not be celebrated. Even if someone else avenges a weak Syria.

So is the never ending 60 year calculus of tit for tat violence in the mid-east. If might made right, Israel would have won long ago. Israel's long term safety is as elusive as ever. The UN who created Israel may at some future time uncreate it if Israel does not start being more wise.
The way you think is goofy!!
The UN cannot uncreate Israel.....rofl@lemon law!!!

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Well since Syria isn't bitching I guess it means Israel did't do anything Syria could actually complain about on the world stage without admitting to doing something wrong.

So, in the wonderful world of politics we all just look away and Syria realizes that oops - next time we must do better at being sneaky.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We still don't know anything here.

In any case, I hope that the US distances itself from Israel with these acts. They're the last thing the US needs right now--more heat in the ME and it needs to not encourage Israel to do things that would by proxy drag the US into yet another braindead, dead-end war.

Israel's long term safety is as elusive as ever.

This is true. They are militarily by far the strongest in the region and the only with nukes and yet they appear more vulnerable than they have in quite a while. They cannot hold foreign territory, as we saw last year, and when the opposition decides to, they cannot even really defend theirs, as we also saw last year.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I find it amusing far lefties trying to invent reasons to be pissed about this strike to support a far right govt. Apparently something isnt upto snuff on the Syrian side as they are as quiet about this as the Israeli's.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

No Aimster, Assad is not a fool and will pick different battlegrounds. There will be an future Israeli price to pay and mid-east peace is not advanced. That is the reality that should not be celebrated. Even if someone else avenges a weak Syria.

So is the never ending 60 year calculus of tit for tat violence in the mid-east. If might made right, Israel would have won long ago. Israel's long term safety is as elusive as ever. The UN who created Israel may at some future time uncreate it if Israel does not start being more wise.
The way you think is goofy!!
The UN cannot uncreate Israel.....rofl@lemon law!!!

I wouldn't say uncreated, but maybe recreated in a lesser form? Like GOD FORBID returning the pre-1967 land to it's rightful owners, allowing a true Palestinian State to be established, allowing the Palestinian refugees that fled during the 1967 conflicts to return to their lands (that's if there is any land of whatsoever that isn't taken by Jewish settlers by now), seizing airspace violations, seizing human rights violations, seizing it's use of illegal weapons on civilian population at least, seizing the use of land mines against civilians and the list keeps on scrolling...

And why do you think Israel cannot be uncreated by the UN? The UN "uncreated" Palestine despite the objection of ALL Arabic and Islamic countries and in addition to many other countries around the world too when they accepted Israel as a another country, did you ever stop to ponder that? I think not! You'll be surprised on how rapid the superpower scene changes in this crazy world, Israel will run our country into the f*cking ground at some point or the other. Then they are all on their own after that. Then after the American economical/military disaster is all said and done, no other superpower will be willing to destroy itself through the means of Israeli lobbying again (or that's what we can hope for at least).

I too think that Lemon Law thinks about absurd things all the time, things like fairness, international law, an eye for an eye, examining historic facts ...pffft! But do these things really matter to Israel and it's supporters? I mean let's get Christ in here as fast as possible and lets let Israel spread between the Nile and the Euphrates, then it's all good and to hell with everyone else right?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ahh didn the UN already do that? They partitioned Israel and Palastine and the Arabs wanted it all and lost. Reality is they dont get a do over. Life sucks, get a helmet.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Shivetya
Well since Syria isn't bitching I guess it means Israel did't do anything Syria could actually complain about on the world stage without admitting to doing something wrong.

So, in the wonderful world of politics we all just look away and Syria realizes that oops - next time we must do better at being sneaky.

Syria didn't bitch either when Israel obliterated a radar location for them in Lebanon, I remember very well what I saw on TV, Bashar Al-Assad got on the national news station, and I thought he was going to raise hell! Then when asked about the radar attack he said : "We will respond when the time is appropriate." that's all he said and he left. Didn't mean they weren't planning a response under the table. Syria has it's own proxies, they do it's bidding Shivetya.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Genx87
Ahh didn the UN already do that? They partitioned Israel and Palastine and the Arabs wanted it all and lost. Reality is they dont get a do over. Life sucks, get a helmet.

What? You are pretending as if their was this UN acknowledged country Israel then the Arabs wanted a piece then they weren't given a good enough one and all hell broke loose! That's not what happened and you know it.
What happened is that Arabs were promised unity by the West, Palestine is an Arabic country that wasn't yet acknowledged by the UN, it had some Jewish minorities like many other Arabic countries, they were living at peace, but then they decided that they wanted it all, started lobbying, took land by force (and some by money), formed gangs started killing people, declared their own country, Arabs got super-pissed and then hell broke loose, newly born poorly equipped Arab countries lost the war vs the better trained and equipped world war European veterans of the western backed Jewish armies and the rest is history. That would be a more fit of a way of putting it.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: DarkThinker

Syria didn't bitch either when Israel obliterated a radar location for them in Lebanon, I remember very well what I saw on TV, Bashar Al-Assad got on the national news station, and I thought he was going to raise hell! Then when asked about the radar attack he said : "We will respond when the time is appropriate." that's all he said and he left. Didn't mean they weren't planning a response under the table. Syria has it's own proxies, they do it's bidding Shivetya.
And Syria also can reap the result of its Proxies when Israel chooses.

Syria has chosen to not make peace with Israel and instead directly support/assist those that attack Israel.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I think that Syria has a right to build nuclear weapons. Looking at the facts objectively, they have a neighbor who is clearly the most aggressive nation in the region (Israel) dropping bombs on them. They have the most powerful nation in the world (U.S.) pre-emptively invading their neighboring country and overthrowing their government, setting up a puppet government and occupying the country. Half of the other nations in the region already have or are actively working on obtaining the techology.

I ask you, as reasonable, logical people.....

Why shouldn't Syria work towards the goal of nuclear weapons?

Disclaimer: My preference would be that no one, including the United States and Israel, have the ability to annihilate another country. I am not advocating that everyone have them but that those that do and have shown a propensity for pre-emptive violence cannot rationally sit there scratching their heads as to why others would feel the need to have them. They also cannot sit there and not realize their hypocrisy in decrying others from trying to obtain them when they either will not even admit that they have them (Israel) or back out of treaties that would have resulted in the reduction of such weapons (U.S.).

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

They would be used on us or our allies. We do not believe religious fanatics who train their children for suicide bombings from birth are capable of upholding peace through MAD.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

They would be used on us or our allies. We do not believe religious fanatics who train their children for suicide bombings from birth are capable of upholding peace through MAD.

But isn't the basis for claiming that they are "religious fanatics" based on our belief that the Jewish and Christian religions are NOT fanatical and are not training their children to be aggressors?

Why do you put so much faith in countries that are run by people that claim to be men of god and have shown a propensity for attacking others as being capable of upholding peace?

The irony and hypocrisy of your (and the majority of supporters for the U.S. and Israeli policies) mindset regarding this issue astounds me.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I was going to make a meaningful reply but then I realized that this is just an anti-semitism circle jerk with the participants arguing over who hates jews more.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Originally posted by: DarkThinker

And Syria also can reap the result of its Proxies when Israel chooses.

Syria has chosen to not make peace with Israel and instead directly support/assist those that attack Israel.

You know very well I am not pro-Syrian not even one bit. I am not trying to make a point for Syria, I am just trying to state that Syria almost never takes action directly, they use proxies in Palestine Iraq and Lebanon to get the job done. The radar incident is an example of what Syria did when they got attacked by Israel directly look it up.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Why can Israel seem to take care of business so efficiently? If the U.S. does it we must make a mess and and a war of something like this. If the U.S. could do something like this so quickly, cheaply and with such a small loss of life there would be no reason for all this talk on Iran. We could just do it and get it over with.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
I was going to make a meaningful reply but then I realized that this is just an anti-semitism circle jerk with the participants arguing over who hates jews more.

I don't buy your argument, please indicate it to us where any such "anti-semitism" statements have been stated by any member so far in this thread?? Why is it every time Israel's mistakes are put on the table an anti-semitism card is pulled? You know there are people in the world who have the right to criticize Israel that do not hate Jews and are not anti-semitic, think about it...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Perry404 asks---Why can Israel seem to take care of business so efficiently?

State of the arts planes paid for by the US taxpayer and somewhat improved by Israel. But a surgical bombing strike is much easier than an occupation or an invasion. And with the Israeli incursion into Lebanon last summer, Israel hardly looked the picture of efficiency as they greatly overestimated their position.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Perry404
Why can Israel seem to take care of business so efficiently? If the U.S. does it we must make a mess and and a war of something like this. If the U.S. could do something like this so quickly, cheaply and with such a small loss of life there would be no reason for all this talk on Iran. We could just do it and get it over with.

Pfft, like the way Israel took care of business in the Summer of 06, right? No thank you.