Israel better prepared for Iraq war

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Grasshopper27

Israel has long refused to confirm or deny possession of nuclear weapons, saying it would not introduce them into the Middle East. But Issam Mahoul, an Arab member of the Israeli parliament, the Knesset, said last year that Israel has up to 300 nuclear devices. Foreign arms monitoring groups and think tanks have cited similar figures ranging from 250 to 400 devices.

Rumor has it that before Apartheid gov't in South Africa fell, their nukes were transferred to Israel.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: Spagina
I got a better idea. Instead of making excuses for all the crap going on in this region, why don't we actually encourage them to advance ATLEAST into the 17th century?
now there is an idea :)

the past wont change and arguing about it wont make anything in the future better

Blaming the problems of the entire Middle East on what can be argued is only a small border dispute won't make anything better in that region either. It helps the leaders of the Arab countries distract from the problems in their country. It helps all the people of that region blame their problems on another country. But that does not help but is all I usually see in any discussion of the region.

The Israeli/Palestinian Arab problem could have been solved long ago but it is not in the best interests in the leaders of the Arab countries or the leaders of the resistance movements to do so.
so the current conflict is all because of the Arabs ?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
We have lost nothing compared to the Israelis. Now we want to go to war and then tell the Israelis they have to suck it up if they get attacked due to our aggression? "Hey, Sol, we are going to do something that will probably leave lots of your people dead, but suck it up. It's OK."

Hell, I would probably want to bomb Washington just for suggesting that if I were them.

Vernor

Sep 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Peetoeng

Israel has long refused to confirm or deny possession of nuclear weapons, saying it would not introduce them into the Middle East. But Issam Mahoul, an Arab member of the Israeli parliament, the Knesset, said last year that Israel has up to 300 nuclear devices. Foreign arms monitoring groups and think tanks have cited similar figures ranging from 250 to 400 devices.

Rumor has it that before Apartheid gov't in South Africa fell, their nukes were transferred to Israel.

Israel has had nukes for 40 years.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
We have lost nothing compared to the Israelis. Now we want to go to war and then tell the Israelis they have to suck it up if they get attacked due to our aggression? "Hey, Sol, we are going to do something that will probably leave lots of your people dead, but suck it up. It's OK."

Hell, I would probably want to bomb Washington just for suggesting that if I were them.

Wouldn't you let the Americans bomb Iraq and stay out of it, if in exchange, they'd eliminate your enemies. You can rest assured, that's part of the deal. Bye bye Iran and Syria.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Spagina
I got a better idea. Instead of making excuses for all the crap going on in this region, why don't we actually encourage them to advance ATLEAST into the 17th century?

Typical bigoted statement.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

I doubt Israel will have the same restraint if Saddam starts lobbing scuds again.
Whether we want them to or not.
and frankly, you cannot really blame them.

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Vernor
Originally posted by: Peetoeng

Israel has had nukes for 40 years.

I didn't say that Israel didn't have nukes before the transfer.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
hagbard
Thanks for the "history lesson" but I'm already familiar with the background material. And thanks for the tired old propaganda trying to explain "Arab behavior". Of course, the US giving a few billion a year to Israel and keeping hated regimes in power has nothing to do with it...thanks...I feel so enlightened now.

That's pretty much the standard response isn't it. Blame all of the middle east's problems on Israel and throw the US in also just to cover all bases. Don't take any responsibility for the problems in the area on yourselves.