Israel and Syria exchanging missiles. Israel May have targeted Iranian base in Syria.

Jan 25, 2011
Seeing on Twitter suddenly reports of hostility and possibly Israeli planes headed for Damascus. Some saying it’s quite intense compared to past engagements.

Possibly an Iranian base in Damascus was hit by Israel.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Not much info out there yet, but what I've read suggests it was a strike on a single target, an ammunition dump of the Syrian military. Israel has launched several other small scale strikes like this over the past several months. Not sure if this engagement is any more significant than those or not.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Israel launched 7 Popeyes from aircraft in Lebanon airspace and 4 were intercepted by Pantsir SAMs operated by Syrian Air Defense.

You can bet the boys at KMB Instrument Design Bureau are having some good vodka tonight. They just showed they can shoot down 4 missiles out of 7 with a single 6 shot Panstir S1 battery during under-fire conditions while lives are at stake. That's amazing performance and far superior to anything the US has tried to demonstrate. The orders are going to flow in like a waterfall.It reminds of a biblical quote (because I'm so well-read, even on fairy tales)

"But justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream” Amos 5:24

It was justice that these Israeli missiles were shot down, and it is justice that the Russians will gain many new customers for their air defense missiles at the expense of our greedy capitalist Raytheon scum.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Israel launched 7 Popeyes from aircraft in Lebanon airspace and 4 were intercepted by Pantsir SAMs operated by Syrian Air Defense.

You can bet the boys at KMB Instrument Design Bureau are having some good vodka tonight. They just showed they can shoot down 4 missiles out of 7 with a single 6 shot Panstir S1 battery during under-fire conditions while lives are at stake. That's amazing performance and far superior to anything the US has tried to demonstrate. The orders are going to flow in like a waterfall.It reminds of a biblical quote (because I'm so well-read, even on fairy tales)

"But justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream” Amos 5:24

It was justice that these Israeli missiles were shot down, and it is justice that the Russians will gain many new customers for their air defense missiles at the expense of our greedy capitalist Raytheon scum.
You are putting us on, right?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Iron Dome? Ha! Syria deploys Iron Curtain from Russia!

Kim Jong Un just ordered 5 (there goes the food rations for 5000 more prisoners...)

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

So thats why they call you a russian troll.

I guess you are not American since you were as exited when Saudi Pac-3s were shooting down Hwasong 6's.
However, nothing wrong with being patriotic.

Unfortunately, Syrians only managed to shoot down 2 of the cruise missiles and they weren't able to hit any of the aircraft involved in the strike.

So yay!!!
Russian systems can shoot down cruise missile!!!
Something every system on the planet has done for ages!!

Too bad about not being able to shoot down planes

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
So thats why they call you a russian troll.

People call me a “Russian Troll” because my political views confuse them, and that’s fine. If it comforts you to call me that, go ahead. I live in California and am an American citizen.

I guess you are not American since you were as exited when Saudi Pac-3s were shooting down Hwasong 6's.
However, nothing wrong with being patriotic.

I was not “exited” about the few successful Saudi patriot shootdowns of Tochka missiles because A) most of them were unsuccessful (and there are plenty of videos to prove it) and B) Saudi Arabia is currently committing the worst massacre of civilians on earth right now in Yemen. Why would I be happy about the US allowing them to kill 100,000+ civilians through starvation and bombing? Why are you happy about that?

Unfortunately, Syrians only managed to shoot down 2 of the cruise missiles and they weren't able to hit any of the aircraft involved in the strike.
They shot down 4 out of 7 according to every report I've read

So yay!!!
Russian systems can shoot down cruise missile!!!
Something every system on the planet has done for ages!!

The Popeye is not a “cruise missile”, it is a solid-rocket fueled Air-to-Surface missile. Also I think you don’t know much about air defense systems because cruise missiles can be harder to shoot down than ballistic missiles due to the fact they fly extremely low and hug the terrain. The time available for them to be detected, tracked, and intercepted is FAR shorter than a ballistic missile and thus, they tend to be easily as effective at evading countermeasures.

Too bad about not being able to shoot down planes

They can’t shoot down the planes because the planes are flying 20+ km away in Lebanese airspace. Syria cannot just fire 300kg warheads into Lebanese airspace on a whim. Israel would cry foul and the UN security council would authorize another IDF excursion into southern Lebanon if they did. Killing a pilot (vs shooting down drones or missiles) is also a big provocation. Syria is smart enough not to do that but if IDF jets enter Syrian airspace you can bet they will try to shoot them down. IDF very very rarely does actually enter Syrian airspace, and when they do Syrian Air Defense forces usually do launch SAMs.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Sure there kiddo whatever. You run with all that noise.

"The Israeli enemy fired after midnight at 12:30 several ground-to-ground missiles at a military location in the countryside of Damascus, where our air defences intercepted and destroyed two missiles," SANA cited security sources as saying.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
People call me a “Russian Troll” because my political views confuse them, and that’s fine. If it comforts you to call me that, go ahead. I live in California and am an American citizen.

I was not “exited” about the few successful Saudi patriot shootdowns of Tochka missiles because A) most of them were unsuccessful (and there are plenty of videos to prove it) and B) Saudi Arabia is currently committing the worst massacre of civilians on earth right now in Yemen. Why would I be happy about the US allowing them to kill 100,000+ civilians through starvation and bombing? Why are you happy about that?

They shot down 4 out of 7 according to every report I've read

The Popeye is not a “cruise missile”, it is a solid-rocket fueled Air-to-Surface missile. Also I think you don’t know much about air defense systems because cruise missiles can be harder to shoot down than ballistic missiles due to the fact they fly extremely low and hug the terrain. The time available for them to be detected, tracked, and intercepted is FAR shorter than a ballistic missile and thus, they tend to be easily as effective at evading countermeasures.

They can’t shoot down the planes because the planes are flying 20+ km away in Lebanese airspace. Syria cannot just fire 300kg warheads into Lebanese airspace on a whim. Israel would cry foul and the UN security council would authorize another IDF excursion into southern Lebanon if they did. Killing a pilot (vs shooting down drones or missiles) is also a big provocation. Syria is smart enough not to do that but if IDF jets enter Syrian airspace you can bet they will try to shoot them down. IDF very very rarely does actually enter Syrian airspace, and when they do Syrian Air Defense forces usually do launch SAMs.

So, uhh, fighting back against the Israelis is "provocation"? Really?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
So, uhh, fighting back against the Israelis is "provocation"? Really?

Killing a pilot over Lebanese airspace would be considered a provocation, yes. Can you not picture how western media would portray such actions? I can picture the headlines now: "Butcher Assad shoots down Israeli jet minding its own business in foreign airspace, killing 22yo Israeli pilot"

We call you a Russian because you are a Russian.

You're confused, it's OK though. Not everyone can correctly discern the nationalities of the posters who's posts they read merely by observing their views on politics. I totally understand and sympathize with your fear of Russians convincing you to vote for Trump.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You're confused, it's OK though. Not everyone can correctly discern the nationalities of the posters who's posts they read merely by observing their views on politics. I totally understand and sympathize with your fear of Russians convincing you to vote for Trump.
I hope Putin pays you in a timely manner.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Fear mongering to the ignorant. It's just Bibi pandering to his right wing base at home & in this country. He'll beat up on the Syrians any time he feels like it.
Doing unto others as they have done unto you is their motto so now they don't even wait before lashing out at their neighbors. Sometimes its hard to have compassion for them when they behave this way.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Killing a pilot over Lebanese airspace would be considered a provocation, yes. Can you not picture how western media would portray such actions? I can picture the headlines now: "Butcher Assad shoots down Israeli jet minding its own business in foreign airspace, killing 22yo Israeli pilot"

It's not like the Israelis have Lebanese permission to be there in the first place. Quite the contrary.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
It's not like the Israelis have Lebanese permission to be there in the first place. Quite the contrary.

I was not arguing that what the Israelis do in terms of antagonizing or persecuting their neighbors is right or justified, quite the opposite. What Israel does in terms of violating the sovereign rights of its neighbors is criminal. However, you must also understand that in this country it is taboo for the media to criticize Israel and you cannot expect an accurate accounting of any conflict in that region as long as the conflict involves Israel. You also should always expect that Israel will use any border skirmish as an excuse to invade and occupy its weaker neighbors, and you should also expect the US to facilitate (through political cover in the UN and through western media) any such invasion.

The Israelis are always itching for any excuse to get a little more land and to "secure the realm".

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Glad that we have Trump, because he is super well-equipped to handle stuff like this.