Isopropyl Alcohol - 70% or 91%?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Squisher
70% is a better disinfectant than 91%.

Yes, this. 70% is a better disinfectant than 91%. 70% denatures the proteins slower, so it has time to thoroughly infiltrate the cell and wreck havok from the inside out.
91% denatures the protein so quickly that some bacteria are crippled, but are still viable because the quickly denatured protein protects proteins deeper in the cell, and some bacteria remain viable.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
I bought 70% once by accident. It sucks. I mainly use it for removing pitch that lands on my car.

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Cogman
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
For medical stuff, it really doesn't matter. 70% will kill 99.99% of everything on the skin.

The only reason to go with 91% is if you are cleaning something that can't get wet.

Hmmm.....what are some things you cant get wet?

Electronic circuit boards. Anything that rusts, There could be other things, but those are the two that comes off the top of my head.

You can get circuit boards wet so long as they are completely dry before using. (At least in my experience.)

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Vinny N
Best I ever used was 99% from a chem student :p

Of course, they suggested that I use their "water" (aka acetone).

I was even more wowed. As long it's not plastic that is going to be melted away acetone is awesome for cleaning cpus and other goodies :p

Acetone leaves a residue. We always follow acetone cleaning with methanol. The methanol removes the residue. Isopropyl would do the same.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
That's interesting. I never knew.

I've always got 91% to clean my balls and, sometimes, my arse (I had a cut down there once. I figured, that having my dump cover up the wound wasn't a good idea, and it's a good idea to disinfect it). The burn was incredible. I doubled up in pain on the floor, but never felt so refreshed, knowing all those bacteria was dying and screaming.
Wow. Too much information!

Seriously funny shit!

Next time, try Listerine and give us a comparison.

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
That's interesting. I never knew.

I've always got 91% to clean my balls and, sometimes, my arse (I had a cut down there once. I figured, that having my dump cover up the wound wasn't a good idea, and it's a good idea to disinfect it). The burn was incredible. I doubled up in pain on the floor, but never felt so refreshed, knowing all those bacteria was dying and screaming.

wow... not even sure what to reply to this.... *debates sliding out of the thread*

p.s. I use 70% because that's what was lying around the house when I needed to disinfect a needle to get a sliver out.

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
Originally posted by: DrPizza
For medical stuff, it really doesn't matter. 70% will kill 99.99% of everything on the skin.

The only reason to go with 91% is if you are cleaning something that can't get wet.

So how many bacteria are there if 0.01% survives? And, if you start with 2000 bacteria that double every 15 minutes... How long til it didn't matter in the first place? :p ;)

I am glad we agree on this point. I have no sympathy for bacteria. I dont care what kind of life they led up to that point. I dont care what their philosphical point of view is. I dont even care where they were born.

They must die. They must die now.

Some bacteria is good for you did you know that....?

Originally posted by: Fayd
i have both.

i use 70% as aftershave. 91% for cleaning stuff.

You use it as aftershave.....? odd? ( imo )

oh and sorry for the double post >_<

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
just got in the habit. too lazy to go to the store and buy aftershave, too forgetful to pick it up when i'm at the store. 1 bottle lasts forever.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
just got in the habit. too lazy to go to the store and buy aftershave, too forgetful to pick it up when i'm at the store. 1 bottle lasts forever.

yup, I use it as aftershave as well. I use it to clean the sink since it's the closest bottle of anything near my hand. That's why I go through a bottle very quickly. I use it to disinfect my toothbrush, the razor before I shave, as aftershave, to clean the buttocks area, balls and belly button (I found it it's the most effective way to get rid of and prevent the dank smelly-ness that happens down there).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
70% will kill every damn thing you would need it to. That's what we use in teh lab, anyway. (though mostly EtOH)

as for cleaning shit, you probably want something more pure.

70% is perfectly fine for germs. for removing chemicals or whatever...maybe 90% is better. I've never needed it.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I can get the 99.99% stuff at my local supermarket...I can get the 99.999 stuff at frys...

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com

yup, I use it as aftershave as well. I use it to clean the sink since it's the closest bottle of anything near my hand. That's why I go through a bottle very quickly. I use it to disinfect my toothbrush, the razor before I shave, as aftershave, to clean the buttocks area, balls and belly button (I found it it's the most effective way to get rid of and prevent the dank smelly-ness that happens down there).

... Dan do you by chance have a lot of free time? lol

You use it to disinfect your tooth brush and razor!? .... germ freak much?

eh i'm not trying to pick on ya fyi. just odd to me

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: harobikes333

... Dan do you by chance have a lot of free time? lol

You use it to disinfect your tooth brush and razor!? .... germ freak much?

eh i'm not trying to pick on ya fyi. just odd to me

:p I disinfect the toothbrush and razor because they seem to last longer when I do so. This is purely anecdotal evidence (my own perception), so take what I say w/ a grain of salt :p. I just mainly want to use my toothbrush for a longer period, instead of having to dispose of it and buy toothbrushes and razors more frequently.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: kami333
So Ive been a user of 91% Isopropyl (rubbing) Alcohol for various purposes for several years now and recently made the mistake of purchasing 70%. I had forgotten how weak this variety was and was disappointed when a strong aroma did not pierce of air when I opened the bottle. Furthermore, Im afraid that because it wont leave extremely dry skin behind that it is in fact not really "working". I have to see it to believe it! And I want to see the bodies of dead germs everywhere including collateral damage to supple skin surface.

Does it matter to you either way what type of alcohol you use? Or are you an indifferent middle of the road type, just going through life in a happy-go-lucky fashion not really caring if the job was done or not?

Actually 70% isopropyl is a better disinfectant. Alcohol works as a disinfectant by denaturing proteins, a small amount of water makes it more efficient.

:thumbsup:

Yep 70% is what we used at Pharm plants I worked at. FDA approved.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Wow, I didnt know so many people here have current lab exposure. I havent been in a lab since 1986. :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
91%
I can always thin it out if I need to.

When I was at Hynix we used work with all kinds of nasty shit, most of which I cant even remember now. I think the worst was SVNMP. Its like thinner, but much more powerful. That shit would eat the flesh right off your body.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
Originally posted by: Vinny N
Best I ever used was 99% from a chem student :p

Of course, they suggested that I use their "water" (aka acetone).

I was even more wowed. As long it's not plastic that is going to be melted away acetone is awesome for cleaning cpus and other goodies :p

Acetone leaves a residue. We always follow acetone cleaning with methanol. The methanol removes the residue. Isopropyl would do the same.

Interesting. I never knew about the residue crap. I just thought acetone was more powerful. I hate the smell though.

Care to tell me the difference between IPA and Methanol?

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: DLeRium

Care to tell me the difference between IPA and Methanol?

One is a beer and the other makes you blind?

Methanol evaporates very quickly is all I know.