ISO decent waterproof camera

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Looking to go to the bahamas next spring for a lot of swimming and snorkeling and the like and am looking for a cheaper waterproof camera that won't break the bank. I don't really have a set price in mind, but I would like it to be cheap enough that if I lost it or it got confiscated somewhere, I wouldn't be too sad. I want something I can wirelessly take photos off of, or just replace memory cards or whatever as well.

What options are out there that are worthwhile?

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Olympus TG4 - look on the Olympus site for refurbs - you can get a great deal on it.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Recently picked up a refurbished Olympus TG-860 for my daughter. Seems like a decent little camera for her to play and splash around with. Paid about $130 including shipping/tax.

winsontay

Banned
May 6, 2016
Hello Everyone

Any suggestion i am planning to buy a waterproof camera which brand is the best and good quality, cheap too

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Hello Everyone

Any suggestion i am planning to buy a waterproof camera which brand is the best and good quality, cheap too

those three words never go together

almost all of these cameras don't have great optics/quality due to the nature (enclosed lens, small sensor)

I was debating on getting a waterproof case ($200-$1000) for my RX100, but afraid of seals leaking

getting a free lg 360 cam (from a LG G5), going to stick it into a waterproof bag (LOKSAK) and see what happens :D

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I was decently satisfied with my Panasonic waterproof camera, which was the previous generation from the current TS30 model. If you just want to snap some photos underwater or just have a camera you don't care about getting wet, this may be the way to go.

The Olympus TG-4 looks like it's on a whole other level though. The lens they put in that Olympus is so bright. If you care about picture quality and the ability to use it for more than just water snapshots, find a way to get this camera.

In the end though, make sure to follow all the recommendations in the manual about caring for the camera. There isn't a single waterproof camera out there without a reviewer saying the camera died on them due to faulty seals, but I think a lot of these people ignored the steps you have to take when using these cameras.

Rinse the camera off with clean water after using it out in the wild. Let it dry completely before opening the memory card/battery compartment. Make sure the seals and edges of the door are clean whenever you open/close the compartment. My Panasonic has lasted 4 years and many beach/pool/river trips without any issues while observing these cautions. The main thing is letting it dry completely - I would usually let it dry for a minimum of 48 hours before opening it up to get the memory card out.

mollyfreelove

Jun 18, 2015
Last edited:

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
oh, i got a FujiFilm XP90 from costco($50 off, so $150)

just because... and I can always use it for skiing