ISO: A new game. FPS, with some jetpack/flying involved

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I played through HL2, and they're nice and all, but I liked the flying aspect of Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

The Meccs had their jetpacks and gyrocopter for totally free motion, and Delphi had that nifty Turbo ability to allow for point-to-point flight along the ground.

Is there any slightly newer, less buggy game available that incorporates some kind of flight like this? Seriously, it's an artificial reality - I'm tired of being stuck on the ground all the time. :)

Widescreen monitor support is also a must.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I'd also prefer something a little less creepy and unpleasant than Quake. Giants: CK had a little bit of a cartoony feel to it; it was always a little amusing. Doom type games - I don't care for the demon things. COD4 - a little too realistic on the part of portraying a war scene.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
have you tried the Quake wars demo? IMHO it's not creepy but rather BF like.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Star Wars Battlefront II has a few ways to fly. There are a lot of flying vehicles and spaceships, and you can also play as a Dark Trooper or sometimes Boba Fett, both of whom have jetpacks. But flying isn't really the main part of that game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Quake III Arena on The Longest Yard :)

I don't think I ever spent more than five seconds in that map without being "in the air".

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Star Wars Battlefront II has a few ways to fly. There are a lot of flying vehicles and spaceships, and you can also play as a Dark Trooper or sometimes Boba Fett, both of whom have jetpacks. But flying isn't really the main part of that game.
I could go for another Star Wars game. The last one I played was Jedi Outcast. Playing with Force powers was fun. :)
I wished the lightsaber was more "effective" though. What the heck is up with the lightsaber that can't cut through walls, you know?

Q3A, Longest Yard: Sure it's fun, but you can't really control where you're going once you're in the air. ;)

I guess I like the more non-linear aspect of Giants. For example, if you were playing HL2, you'd cross Bridge A to get to platform B and then cross Bridge C. In Giants, you can simply fly to where you want to go.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Tribes Vengeance isn't the best of the franchise, but it's the most recent, and has a pretty good single player campaign. At any rate, if you thought jetpacks in Giants was fun, I think you would very much enjoy it, in spite of the general derision of the Tribes community that wanted something else.

Garage Games consists of some of the original Tribes developers of Dynamix, so you might also want to keep an eye on Fallen Empire: Legions.

It's hard to go back to ground combat after jetpacking for years as I have :)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I was also going to say Fallen Empire: Legions is a title to keep an eye out.
I miss the original Tribes which is coming up on its 10 year anniversary this december. They shut down the game finder servers on Aug 16th 2007. I had a drink in its honor that night :(

Replay

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
Ah, Duke Nukem 3D. Jetting about high overhead and dropping pipe bombs on your poor victims. Good times. Maybe they will update it some day...