ISO: a good coaxial (cable TV) surge suppressor that will allow 2-way cable Internet traffic to pass

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I've been using a Cyberpower-brand surge suppressor with built-in coax protection. Recently, my Internet connection has been cutting out constantly. I was all set to blame my cable provider (who does in fact have problems too often for my taste), but then I remembered the surge suppressor. So I bypassed it. Bam, stable Internet.
The suppressor is a few years old, so I guess its coax protection might just be shot by now.

I'd like to get something more of a "standalone" coax protector. I see wee little things like this, but I don't know how good they are, or if they allow cable Internet traffic to pass.

Might anyone have any recommendations for a suitable surge suppressor for my application?

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
You might want to have you isp come out and see what your signal levels are. Just saying because I had a perfectly good coaxial suppressor and well my connection started dropping. I havnt used stand alone things like that you had pointed out only surge protectors with that built in. But reguardless of which way you go have them come check if you havent already. Just because you havent done anything to your line doesnt mean it cant be changed w/o you. Signal levels change no matter what you do.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I think the problem was the old suppressor, because the connection kept getting worse, to the point that it was only working for about 5 minutes every hour. Immediately after bypassing the suppressor, the connection came back, and it's been on continuously since then.

I'd just really rather not have to deal with their cable techs if I can avoid it. They really have a very apathetic attitude about any problem that is not a total outage. And that stuff you hear about cable companies giving no specific time for service, saying, "We'll send a tech out sometime during normal business hours," well, it's true. They will say that they can have a tech out "today or maybe tomorrow sometime."

The connection's speed has also not changed at all, and there is no packet loss. I will keep an eye on it of course though.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Check with your ISP's Tech Service guys by phone. In my system, the modem supplied by the cable company is a "smart modem". Among other things it has a browser interface you can access simply by entering an IP address into your browser, and it will tell you what signal levels it is seing. The tech guys can tell you how, and also what signal levels are considered OK or troublesome. Then you can check for yourself.