Isn't the Russians doing what we did to Texas?

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
1. Claim to protect "US citizens" in Mexican state of Texas
2. Support guys like Sam Houston, send troops/support for local rebellion
3. Texas declares independence from Mexico
4. Joins USA
5. Profit?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not sure. How many Crimean citizens have been killed by the Ukrainian government so far?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo had a bit to do with the Texas issue. The '46 War ended with that treaty.

The portions of the then Texas was an independent Republic in '45 before Statehood.. Crimea is part of the Ukraine Nation at this point in time.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
There's history between step 3 and 4 that make the comparison pretty weak.

Russia is actively trying to absorb Crimea. Russians have always had a hard on for buffer zones and ports that don't freeze.

In contrast, the US had to be cajoled into accepting Texas as a state. If I recall correctly, Texas was refused entry on several occasions. Seems to me the big countries involved had near opposite feelings on the matter of annexation.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
4. Joins USA
5. Profit?
you still learning history in Jr. high School??

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
on a civilian and cultural level yes in some ways.

on a state decision level with the annexation not sure. texas was a independent republic for several years if not a decade. so was california hawaii was much more similar to the russian takeover of the crimea except we took the whole country.

the government may have been giving tacit support to the settlers behind the scenes however.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Yeah,lets compare situations 150 year apart.Russian are brutes and that's a fact.America has a justice system,her journalists are not assassinated by the president and it has one of the best living standards and one of the longest life expectancy.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
4. Joins USA
5. Profit?

The difference is we have shown the capacity to learn and evolve beyond the injustices of the past.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
first the u.s.g. uses force to stop its own citizens from seceding, now it is trying to force people outside its borders to remain under a State they dont want to be part of?!?!?!?!?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
why don't we send the Russians to the mexican border and let them do what the liberals don't have the smarts to do??

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
first the u.s.g. uses force to stop its own citizens from seceding, now it is trying to force people outside its borders to remain under a State they dont want to be part of?!?!?!?!?

Read Texas v White.

If... let's say the people of Alabama wanted to secede and the rest of us figured that was a good idea we'd not have a unilateral want to secede and it might just work. I'd be in favor of that occurring, for instance. And, I could list a few more States too.

There are lots of folks in Crimea that don't want any part of Russian control over their lives... again.

The US is not the only opposition to the Russian invasion of Crimea, Ukraine. That is a sovereign Nation... all of it is. Under the UN Charter one could argue that Russian activity is an act of War. IF true would that change your mind?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Let's not stop there please. People have been doing this for a long time now.

Russia took the land from the native people living in Siberia and other places. America took the land and destroyed the native people living in North America. Same goes for Canada.

Europeans again destroyed the native peoples in Australia and took over their. Same goes for New Zealand.

The native people in South America have been almost entirely displaced by the Europeans who conquered their land. All in the name of "God" and "Christ" and "civilization." Yeah, sure.

There are many, many other examples. They are all done in the name of whatever. They all have justifications for their greed and ambitions. Some can justify it through religion, some do it through exploration and science. But they all try to justify it somehow.

So, this is our lovely world we have. Built upon violence and hatred. So don't be surprised if things aren't going well today.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
"The Raven" by Marquis James is a must read for anyone interested in Texas history. I am looking at my copy right now.

In short, Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston conspired for Texas to win its independence from Mexico and then join the United States. Jackson could not send troops into Texas without spawning a war with Mexico. So Jackson did the next best thing, he asked his friend Sam Houston to go to Texas.

Jackson had enemies that would vote against anything he tried to do. Take note that Texas did not become a state until Jackson was almost dead.

Jackson died June 8, 1845

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Texas_(1845–1860)

On February 26, 1845, six days before Polk took office, the U.S. Congress approved the annexation.

Keep in mind Jackson was a headstrong kind of guy. When the British were invading New Orleans it was Jackson and the militia who headed off the invasion. When Sam Houston visited Jackson on his death bed, Jackson wept knowing Texas was going to join the union.

As for Texas being a lot like Crimea, yea, I can see that.

I can see Putin being a lot like Andrew Jackson, and the civil unrest in Crimea caused by agents Putin sent in.

Putin knows he can not invade and take Crimea. But there is nothing stopping Crimea from leaving the Ukraine.

It is like Putin took a page from Andrew Jacksons playbook.

Last edited:

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
In short, Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston conspired for Texas to win its independence from Mexico and then join the United States. Jackson could not send troops into Texas without spawning a war with Mexico. So Jackson did the next best thing, he asked his friend Sam Houston to go to Texas.

hate andrew jackson with a passion

a man of no redeemable qualities

the pissshit who destroyed the cherokee tribe

even when they more or less lived like white men

a racist untrustworthy shitbag of the highest degree