Isn't the most famous equation in mathematics a perversion?

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
link

If you look at the five components of Euler's identity: pi, 1, 0, e, and i. You can see that only one component, pi, isn't the real pi that we think of. Instead, pi in this case simply represents 180 degrees. But degrees can be represented by any other symbol, therefore pi isn't really pi in this instance.

Or am I wrong.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you're wrong.

a squared plus b squared = c squared is the most famous equation

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Narmer
link

If you look at the five components of Euler's identity: pi, 1, 0, e, and i. You can see that only one component, pi, isn't the real pi that we think of. Instead, pi in this case simply represents 180 degrees. But degrees can be represented by any other symbol, therefore pi isn't really pi in this instance.

Or am I wrong.

Sure. And instead of choosing 'e' to represent the natural base, we could have chosen 'z'. Instead of choosing i^2 = -1, we could have chosen e^2 = -1.

What's your point?

Edit: z^pi*e + 1 = 0

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
link

Or am I wrong.

Just a moron.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnCU
Originally posted by: ElFenix
you're wrong.

actually, you're wrong. sorry.

If ElFenix was an EE, he'd appreciate the beauty of Euler's expression.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
link

Or am I wrong.

Sure. And instead of choosing 'e' to represent the natural base, we could have chosen 'z'. Instead of choosing i^2 = -1, we could have chosen e^2 = -1.

What's your point?

My point is that pi=3.1419..., which is a ratio

But in the case of Euler's identity, pi=180 degrees.

The two uses of the symbol pi have very different functions.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

If your pies are only 180 degrees they are going to be mushy. Perhaps that's Centigrade. :laugh:

thesurge

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004
link

Or am I wrong.

What's your point?

Err... e^{ix}=cos(x)+isin(x)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula#Using_calculus

Simple proof. Subsitute "pi" in the equation and OMG you get TEH identity!

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: thesurge
link

Or am I wrong.

What's your point?

Err... e^{ix}=cos(x)+isin(x)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula#Using_calculus

Simple proof. Subsitute "pi" in the equation and OMG you get TEH identity!

I know that, Genius, that's why I'm asking the question of why the euler's identity would make people see pi(3.1419...) when they are actually seeing pi(degrees). At worst, it's a perversion. Hence, the identity is not as beautiful as many see it. It can be beaufitul, but only if you believe something that really isn't what it espouses to be.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
you're wrong.

actually, you're wrong. sorry.

If ElFenix was an EE, he'd appreciate the beauty of Euler's expression.

indeed, that god damn expression is amazing. i remember the first time i studied it... thought i'd never use it again but was i wrong.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
this equation relates the 5 most important fundamental numbers, how can it not be the most famous?

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
OP, I suggest you read this.

I know the identity is correct but...others may think that they can simply plug in scalar pi and out will come 0... Never mind, I think I'll leave this one alone.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000

I know the identity is correct but...others may think that they can simply plug in scalar pi and out will come 0... Never mind, I think I'll leave this one alone.

what?

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
a. this is the most famous and most elegant of all mathematical formulas

b. how the heck do you not know what a radian is dude !?!?!?, degrees are just a random number set up becasue it is easy to work with, radians are the unit that actually has mathematical sense and pi radians in half a circle.

EDIT: jsut think of it this way, what is the diamater of the unit circle? = 2pi, what is half that, yeah thats right pi. pi = 180degrees.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006

what?

I'm saying disregard the question. Forget it. Forget I asked it.

Oscar1613

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001

because you can :confused:

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: BrownTown
lol, i bet youd like us to forget it after making such a dumb post :p.

If it's such a dumb post, then I'd like you to do me a small favor. I'd like you to decouple the entire equation and show it in all it's ugliness. Show us the meat and potatoes of Euler's identity. I'll give you a head start:

e^i(pi) +1=0

where e^i(pi)= cos(pi) +isin(pi)=-1

But a^x>0>-1. If you've taken modern analysis (which I haven't) or number theory, perhaps you can enlighten me and the average joe on this equation by explaining exactly what i is.

I'm not saying the equation isn't beautiful (in it's simplicity), but there's a wholly complex dimension that undermines such beauty. Perhaps I'm being more philosophical than mathematical, but that's precisely my point.