Islamists target Arizona base

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Text

(EXCERPTS....)

Fort Huachuca, the nation's largest intelligence-training center, changed security measures in May after being warned that Islamist terrorists, with the aid of Mexican drug cartels, were planning an attack on the facility.

Fort officials changed security measures after sources warned that possibly 60 Afghan and Iraqi terrorists were to be smuggled into the U.S. through underground tunnels with high-powered weapons to attack the Arizona Army base, according to multiple confidential law enforcement documents obtained by The Washington Times.

Fort Huachuca, which lies about 20 miles from the Mexican border, has members of all four service branches training in intelligence and secret operations. About 12,000 persons work at the fort and many have their families on base.

Lt. Col. Matthew Garner, spokesman for Fort Huachuca, said details about the current phase of the investigation or security changes on the post "will not be disclosed."

"If nothing else, it provides a good look at the inner working of the law-enforcement and intelligence community and how they work together on a daily basis to share and deal with threat information," Mr. Bresson said. "It also demonstrates the cross-pollination that frequently exists between criminal and terrorist groups."

The connections between criminal enterprises, such as powerful drug cartels, and terrorist organizations have become a serious concern for intelligence agencies monitoring the U.S.-Mexico border.

--------------------------------------

I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

So are these Cartels a threat to national security? Should they be added to terrorist lists? Does this require diplomacy with Mexico or surgical strikes?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting....Islamist terrorists and Mexican drug lords. I had no idea they consorted. :shocked:

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Text

(EXCERPTS....)

Fort Huachuca, the nation's largest intelligence-training center, changed security measures in May after being warned that Islamist terrorists, with the aid of Mexican drug cartels, were planning an attack on the facility.

Fort officials changed security measures after sources warned that possibly 60 Afghan and Iraqi terrorists were to be smuggled into the U.S. through underground tunnels with high-powered weapons to attack the Arizona Army base, according to multiple confidential law enforcement documents obtained by The Washington Times.

Fort Huachuca, which lies about 20 miles from the Mexican border, has members of all four service branches training in intelligence and secret operations. About 12,000 persons work at the fort and many have their families on base.

Lt. Col. Matthew Garner, spokesman for Fort Huachuca, said details about the current phase of the investigation or security changes on the post "will not be disclosed."

"If nothing else, it provides a good look at the inner working of the law-enforcement and intelligence community and how they work together on a daily basis to share and deal with threat information," Mr. Bresson said. "It also demonstrates the cross-pollination that frequently exists between criminal and terrorist groups."

The connections between criminal enterprises, such as powerful drug cartels, and terrorist organizations have become a serious concern for intelligence agencies monitoring the U.S.-Mexico border.

--------------------------------------

I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

So are these Cartels a threat to national security? Should they be added to terrorist lists? Does this require diplomacy with Mexico or surgical strikes?

or we could just end them by ending the war on drugs.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I'm sorry, am I the only person for whom this story is setting off some major propaganda flags? In the first place, this appears in The Washington Times, on FOX News.com and a few local papers and nowhere else. Call me paranoid, but if The Washington Times and Fox News are the only major media outlets getting in on this, it leaves me wondering why.

In the second place, this threat reads a lot like the chain letter bullshit meant to keep up support for the war on terrorism that snopes is always debunking. Almost all real threats report on groups, they don't use vague phrases like "Afghan and Iraqi terrorists". That phrase in particular is strange, as Afghan and Iraqi terrorists are mostly insurgents, if they were planning on operating outside of the country, it would be a little out of character. That phrase is also suspect for another reason, as it conveniently involves individuals from the two countries we just happen to be occupying. Not only that, but throwing in "Mexican drug cartels" pretty much concludes the trifecta of boogeymen. Despite a lot of FUD to the contrary, there is NO evidence that Mexicans, drug cartels or otherwise, are in any way involved with helping terrorists.

The whole thing sounds like an episode of '24'...which is exactly why my bullshit detector is going crazy. Now maybe I'm wrong about this just being some noise to remind everyone to be scared...but I don't think so.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Your own argument is testament to why we don?t see it widespread. Liberals don?t want to spread the concept that we?re at war by printing this. Until the next successful attack, it?s just propaganda. Then when they are successful, it must have been an inside job.

Now I will give you this, since it wasn?t successful, and all we have are a few media outlets, this specific story DOES lack meat. Yet, what if any of us could go down and get a straight answer from the local authorities, would that answer the question of if this is fake or not?

Yet clearly, being mere posters at P&N we have no way to confirm or deny these claims. All we can do is choose what to believe and leave reality to be defined by faith in whatever perspective we claim.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Your own argument is testament to why we don?t see it widespread. Liberals don?t want to spread the concept that we?re at war by printing this. Until the next successful attack, it?s just propaganda. Then when they are successful, it must have been an inside job.

Hell, most of them don't even want to admit that we're at war.

You're right. It's just right-wing propaganda for now. But if such an attack were successful, the conspiracy theories and moonbat propaganda would drown this place in a NY minute.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford
I'm sorry, am I the only person for whom this story is setting off some major propaganda flags? In the first place, this appears in The Washington Times, on FOX News.com and a few local papers and nowhere else. Call me paranoid, but if The Washington Times and Fox News are the only major media outlets getting in on this, it leaves me wondering why.

In the second place, this threat reads a lot like the chain letter bullshit meant to keep up support for the war on terrorism that snopes is always debunking. Almost all real threats report on groups, they don't use vague phrases like "Afghan and Iraqi terrorists". That phrase in particular is strange, as Afghan and Iraqi terrorists are mostly insurgents, if they were planning on operating outside of the country, it would be a little out of character. That phrase is also suspect for another reason, as it conveniently involves individuals from the two countries we just happen to be occupying. Not only that, but throwing in "Mexican drug cartels" pretty much concludes the trifecta of boogeymen. Despite a lot of FUD to the contrary, there is NO evidence that Mexicans, drug cartels or otherwise, are in any way involved with helping terrorists.

The whole thing sounds like an episode of '24'...which is exactly why my bullshit detector is going crazy. Now maybe I'm wrong about this just being some noise to remind everyone to be scared...but I don't think so.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Despite a lot of FUD to the contrary, there is NO public evidence that Mexicans, drug cartels or otherwise, are in any way involved with helping terrorists.
fixed.

Your detector is very broken.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Despite a lot of FUD to the contrary, there is NO public evidence that Mexicans, drug cartels or otherwise, are in any way involved with helping terrorists.
fixed.

Your detector is very broken.

Oh, it's you again with your secret intelligence that no one else knows:roll:. Please forgive should I ever call you a liar because you want us to take your words at face value.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Well, here's the deal. This is actually old news and has been thoroughly debunked. So it was surprising to see it turn up in the Washington Times... must have been a slow news day. Be advised this report is not credible. The alerts referenced did go out but the information proved (after analysis and polygraphs) to be a fabrication.

Knowing this, I really put it out as a possible theoretical, to see what kind of responses would turn up. Everyone basically seemed a little suspicious... which was kinda nice to see I guess. But the general idea is valid food for thought.

Even though this is a fabrication, what purpose does it serve? I maintain that through a small investment of rumor mongering, the cartels may be trying to get our border efforts off balance and spread our resources even more thin. It could be an attempt to make us focus collection resources, ie. Predator, patrols, ect... onto a large military base instead of the border. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

I just cant see drug cartels siding with Islamic terrorists. The drug cartels make way too much money to need to invest in this type of operation, one that ultimately would bring great stress to the border situation and undoubtedly cause much damage to the drug cartel ability to smuggle drugs and weapons across the border. Drug cartel leaders are much to strategic and planning oriented (by nature of their very existence) to get involved in such an operation.

On the other hand, there are criminal gangs who are willing to help the terrorists, notably MS-13, the 18th Street Gang, and others of their ilk. Also don't discount the Mexican Army's former Los Zetas and the former Honduran Special Forces, the Kaibiles. These are very capable soldiers who are now working for the dark side.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Well, here's the deal. This is actually old news and has been thoroughly debunked. So it was surprising to see it turn up in the Washington Times... must have been a slow news day. Be advised this report is not credible. The alerts referenced did go out but the information proved (after analysis and polygraphs) to be a fabrication.

Knowing this, I really put it out as a possible theoretical, to see what kind of responses would turn up. Everyone basically seemed a little suspicious... which was kinda nice to see I guess. But the general idea is valid food for thought.

Even though this is a fabrication, what purpose does it serve? I maintain that through a small investment of rumor mongering, the cartels may be trying to get our border efforts off balance and spread our resources even more thin. It could be an attempt to make us focus collection resources, ie. Predator, patrols, ect... onto a large military base instead of the border. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

I just cant see drug cartels siding with Islamic terrorists. The drug cartels make way too much money to need to invest in this type of operation, one that ultimately would bring great stress to the border situation and undoubtedly cause much damage to the drug cartel ability to smuggle drugs and weapons across the border. Drug cartel leaders are much to strategic and planning oriented (by nature of their very existence) to get involved in such an operation.

On the other hand, there are criminal gangs who are willing to help the terrorists, notably MS-13, the 18th Street Gang, and others of their ilk. Also don't discount the Mexican Army's former Los Zetas and the former Honduran Special Forces, the Kaibiles. These are very capable soldiers who are now working for the dark side.

And here Palehorse was telling us that it was true:laugh:.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Narmer

I didn't read that... to me it sounded like he was saying the general public doesn't know everything, or more specifically, a lot of intel on this issue isn't public. That part I know for certain is true.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Hmm...terrorists smuggled into the US with the help of Drug Cartels...

I think I read this book, Tom Clancy..hmm forget the title.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

I didn't read that... to me it sounded like he was saying the general public doesn't know everything, or more specifically, a lot of intel on this issue isn't public. That part I know for certain is true.
Thank you!

What he said. I was not commenting on the incident at FH. I was actually commenting on the connections between latin-american and south-armerican cartels, and terrorism.

The connections are very real. The question you need to think about is: What would each entity gain from such a relationship?

By the way, I was at FH in June; and the biggest fear, at the time, was the spreading cartel violence south of the border. You may have read about some of the firefights that took place in Mexico in April and May. I believe that the initial advisory about an attack on FH was given more credence than normal due to the coincidental increase in violence south of the border...

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006

Thank you!

What he said. I was not commenting on the incident at FH. I was actually commenting on the connections between latin-american and south-armerican cartels, and terrorism.

The connections are very real. The question you need to think about is: What would each entity gain from such a relationship?

By the way, I was at FH in June; and the biggest fear, at the time, was the spreading cartel violence south of the border. You may have read about some of the firefights that took place in Mexico in April and May. I believe that the initial advisory about an attack on FH was given more credence than normal due to the coincidental increase in violence south of the border...

Whatever. In your murky world, you can say anything and still be right. You guys talk about terrorism as if it's a fad. You're idiots.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
You guys talk about terrorism as if it's a fad. You're idiots.
Trust me, "we" talk about terrorism with a very clear understanding of it being real... very fvcking real... and very much here to stay!

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Trust me, "we" talk about terrorism with a very clear understanding of it being real... very fvcking real... and very much here to stay!

IT NEVER LEFT!!!:laugh:

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

IT NEVER LEFT!!!:laugh:

Terrorism on American soil is not a common event when compared to the pain inflicted upon the rest of the world. So they have a point.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I just cant see drug cartels siding with Islamic terrorists.

Maybe not cartels themselves, unless our oil money pays them well.

Still, there is Hezbollah in South America and Islamic texts found on the border ? the presence is at least there.

Of course, they don't need to cross any borders when there are militant camps setup here on our soil.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Total fear crap that just doesn't work anymore. Trying to combine the 2 boogie men of our time Mexicans and Terrorists, it's a super villain!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Terrorist: And then we will attack!

Mexican Drug Cartel: Si!

Terrorist: And the Americans will die!

Mexican Drug Cartel: Si!

Terrorist: And we shall strap explosives to our bodies and blow the American military installation to the bowels of perdition!

Mexican Drug Cartel: Que, Que, Que?!?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Hell, most of them don't even want to admit that we're at war.

You're right. It's just right-wing propaganda for now. But if such an attack were successful, the conspiracy theories and moonbat propaganda would drown this place in a NY minute.

thats because we aren't at war.