Islamists retreat in Ethopian led attack in Somalia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Beyoku you know a lot about ethiopoa.

Are you from that area by any chance?

EDIT: n/m I read your last post

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: beyoku
What do you do?

Get owned on internet message boards, apparently.

I appreciate your posts in this thread. Too bad it hasn't generated more interest - Ethiopia's certainly doing the US a big favor & showing it's not the same country it was 20 years ago.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Gigantopithecus
What do you do?

Get owned on internet message boards, apparently.

I appreciate your posts in this thread. Too bad it hasn't generated more interest - Ethiopia's certainly doing the US a big favor & showing it's not the same country it was 20 years ago.

Yeah its certainly good to see that alteast some African countries solving thier own problems taking care of its own business.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Shivetya
[If you care about starving Ethiopians contribute to charity, Boycott Starbucks, or write your congressman about about the person responsible. This is the man behind the saying: "When you send food to Africa it i will just rot in a storehouse."

Boycott Starbucks? So you bought into that hollyweird inspired non-sense?

Look, if Starbucks buying coffee from them was exploitation then other farmers in the area would not be trying to get with the program. Farmers cannot just exploit themselves, their workers, or their land, to get Starbuck's business. Starbucks is one of only a few coffee distributors who voluntarily agreed to a set of standards to insure that exploitation is reduced if not eliminated. They also will only buy from farmers who practice sustainable farming methods.

But I know, its far better to rant against a big corporation because it makes you feel as if you did something. Heaven forbid you do any research and list the best organizations to use when donating to African charities. Seeds for Africa, African Medical and Research Foundation, and Every Child ministries.

Its far from nonsense. I have been to Ethiopia and seen for myself. I dont know what "hollyweird" stuff you are talking about, what i was speaking of is Starbucks VS Ethiopia regarding the Trademark issue with names of Ethiopian Beans, some being based on towns in Ethiopia where they are grown. This is a very real issue. And a big deal for Ethiopia because 90% of their export and more than half their GDP is Coffee. I dont have the time to write pages on all the reasons and take you through Charity or globalization 101. I can tell you that some people will come to the discussion on different levels, I have family and a wife in Ethiopia so i follow their politics, i come to the discussion on a different level. There is no "best organization" they all have different aims and Just about all of the large ones are good. Anyone that "wants" to contribute to charity knows they have to research themselves, most of them already have. Yes i know i have "Done something" there is no fact about it. I pay a few thousand dollars a year for some kids education there.- direct contribution. And i continue to "do things." What do you do?

Shivetya = owned!! :laugh:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Alas, I am having a hard time shedding tears for those poor, misunderstood Islamists...

I hope Ethiopia exterminates them.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Alas, I am having a hard time shedding tears for those poor, misunderstood Islamists...

I hope Ethiopia exterminates them.

Indeed, but you have to watch out in Africa just who is being "exterminated". The people inhabiting that continent seem to quite frequently just decide to kill millions of other people for some stupid reason, or no reason at all. If this doesn't degenerate into exterminating ALL Muslims in certain areas, terrorists or otherwise, I'd be surprised.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Looks like the Islamists are loosing local support from the people in Somalia. People in Somalia never had any type of Taliban type living conditions and these actions pretty much show they dont want it. UIC is loosing more and more support everyday. It would be best for everyone if these fools would quit trying to become "famous" and just go to the bargaining table and join the government in promoting secular rule. Although it can, i doubt that they will have any type of insurgency like Iraq. Most of the kids have changed clothes and gave up their AK's.

As fighting began to flare up today around Kismayo, the final redoubt for Somalia?s diminished Islamic movement, elders within the city demanded that the Islamists leave.
Mohammed Arab, a leader of the Ogaden sub-clan, said 36 elders of various clans and sub-clans met over the weekend with Islamist leaders and tried to persuade them that resisting the huge Ethiopian-backed force heading toward them would be futile.

Around 5 p.m., the fighting started, with the Ethiopian-backed forces unleashing an artillery barrage against Islamist troops dug in near Jilib, a town about 30 miles north of Kismayo. As the shells began to rain down, residents said, clan militias within Kismayo turned on the Islamists.

But the fighters in Kismayo may be different. Kismayo is where the Islamist leadership fled after losing Mogadishu, bringing with them their most devout and hardcore fighters. Ethiopian officials have said that the Somali Islamists are bolstered by several thousand foreign fighters ? from Yemen, Pakistan, Syria, Libya and Eritrea, Ethiopia?s bitter enemy, though American intelligence officials say the numbers are far fewer, most likely in the hundreds.

LINQ

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
[If you care about starving Ethiopians contribute to charity, Boycott Starbucks, or write your congressman about about the person responsible. This is the man behind the saying: "When you send food to Africa it i will just rot in a storehouse."

Look, if Starbucks buying coffee from them was exploitation then other farmers in the area would not be trying to get with the program. Farmers cannot just exploit themselves, their workers, or their land, to get Starbuck's business. Starbucks is one of only a few coffee distributors who voluntarily agreed to a set of standards to insure that exploitation is reduced if not eliminated. They also will only buy from farmers who practice sustainable farming methods.

But I know, its far better to rant against a big corporation because it makes you feel as if you did something. Heaven forbid you do any research and list the best organizations to use when donating to African charities. Seeds for Africa, African Medical and Research Foundation, and Every Child ministries.

Its far from nonsense. I have been to Ethiopia and seen for myself. I dont know what "hollyweird" stuff you are talking about, what i was speaking of is Starbucks VS Ethiopia regarding the Trademark issue with names of Ethiopian Beans, some being based on towns in Ethiopia where they are grown. This is a very real issue. And a big deal for Ethiopia because 90% of their export and more than half their GDP is Coffee. I dont have the time to write pages on all the reasons and take you through Charity or globalization 101. I can tell you that some people will come to the discussion on different levels, I have family and a wife in Ethiopia so i follow their politics, i come to the discussion on a different level. There is no "best organization" they all have different aims and Just about all of the large ones are good. Anyone that "wants" to contribute to charity knows they have to research themselves, most of them already have. Yes i know i have "Done something" there is no fact about it. I pay a few thousand dollars a year for some kids education there.- direct contribution. And i continue to "do things." What do you do?

All i have heard about starbucks in the business activities is good. If the best the beyoku can come up with in terms of misdeeds is trademark issues, then there really isn't much of a real problem, is there?

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Citrix

All i have heard about starbucks in the business activities is good. If the best the beyoku can come up with in terms of misdeeds is trademark issues, then there really isn't much of a real problem, is there?

Exactly, Thats all YOU have heard of. Quote from Beyoku: This is a very real issue. And a big deal for Ethiopia because 90% of their export and more than half their GDP is Coffee. How is this not a real problem? The CEO of Starbucks met with the PM of Ethiopia over this.. Black Gold - A documentary Like i said, this is a very real issue for a country which has over 90% exports in coffee. Also Ethiopian coffee is the best coffee in the world by taste test. This is as important to them as Oil is to a country like Saudi Arabia. Or Angola with diamonds. Saudi Arabia getting squeezed out of their oil would be big issue for Saudi Arabia. I have "heard" more than you regarding Ethiopia.