Islamic terrorism spreads across Asia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Londo_Jowo: I don't need to resort to imaginary issues to make an argument.

M: Don't be ridiculous. You do it all the time. Almost every remark you make to me is an imaginary issue, my doctor, his advise, my drugs, my imaginary hate, and on and on.

LJ: Though I do not support the use of terrorism or terrorist the fact of the matter is these terrorist learned these techniques from those employed them in the past century.

M: You try to terrorize me with insults. You learned these techniques as part of how you were treated as a child. The terrorists are conservatives and have their brain defect.

The second part was not directed towards you, it was how I feel about the subject in the OP. However, if it helps you feel better you can use it to make yourself to be some sort of victim.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
The Soviet way of dealing with ethnic minorities or majorities in many regions in the past was to replace them with ethnic Russians, Belarussians or Ukrainians. People were forcibly put into trains and transferred wherever. Divide the people into small pieces and scatter them around the country to keep them silent. Stalin's rule was the worst time for non-Slavic populations. Where the Soviet ethnic cleansing succeeded there are little problems. In the Caucasus region it failed and it's a huge mess now. Also different religion, culture and languages.

For example in the Republic of Karelia, Northwestern Russia (Wikipedia):
Russians 57,2 %
Karelians 37,4 %
Belarusians 0,2 %
Ukrainians 0,3 %

Russians 73,6 %
Karelians 10,0 %
Belarusians 7,0 %
Ukrainians 3,6 %

Of course people change languages peacefully during centuries as well but during Soviet rule it wasn't always so peaceful. Many regions were russified on purpose.

No need to spew some bullshit on here.
I didn't check your quoted Karelia - I don't have a need.

What can I tell...I was born in Soviet Lithuania that was part of USSR.
Today, I'm glad I was born there. I lived there for 30 years and after that, for 22 years in US. There's no "Catch22" in neither of political systems. Both had good things and bad things.

There was no russification in former soviet Lithuania. We had military base in my town. One of my best friends at the moment was a russian guy who fluently spoke lithuanian. I knew some others like him.

Look at today's Lithuania - so called free and democratic - supported by US and EC/NATO. First, there's no democracy - a dictatorship, because same people with their communist past are in power.
Needless to say that Lithuania not independent anymore - it depends to laws and regulations of ES - Forcibly...
More people fled in 22 of so-called democracy years of Lithuania than Stalin's regime expelled lithuanians to Siberia's camps. Political elite lives very well while regular people are forced to emigrate to survive.

PRAISE__SATAN

Jan 3, 2014

Fine. Is no bullshit. Soviet crimes against humanity are pretty well known today. Lithuania was spared from russification for the most part, other places or peoples weren't so lucky.

----

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Ethnic_Groups_In_Caucasus_Region_2009.jpg

North Caucasus is the Balkans of Russia. I wonder how "Russian" do all these different ethnicities identify as? One man's terrorist is another man's freedom-fighter.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Fine. Is no bullshit. Soviet crimes against humanity are pretty well known today. Lithuania was spared from russification for the most part, other places or peoples weren't so lucky.

----

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Ethnic_Groups_In_Caucasus_Region_2009.jpg

North Caucasus is the Balkans of Russia. I wonder how "Russian" do all these different ethnicities identify as? One man's terrorist is another man's freedom-fighter.

neither were over 100,000 people in Iraq- any WMD, as cause of war were found? bombings in Syria , Libya...

Own Shit Never Does Smell....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The Soviet way of dealing with ethnic minorities or majorities in many regions in the past was to replace them with ethnic Russians, Belarussians or Ukrainians. People were forcibly put into trains and transferred wherever. Divide the people into small pieces and scatter them around the country to keep them silent. Stalin's rule was the worst time for non-Slavic populations. Where the Soviet ethnic cleansing succeeded there are little problems. In the Caucasus region it failed and it's a huge mess now. Also different religion, culture and languages.

For example in the Republic of Karelia, Northwestern Russia (Wikipedia):
Russians 57,2 %
Karelians 37,4 %
Belarusians 0,2 %
Ukrainians 0,3 %

Russians 73,6 %
Karelians 10,0 %
Belarusians 7,0 %
Ukrainians 3,6 %

Of course people change languages peacefully during centuries as well but during Soviet rule it wasn't always so peaceful. Many regions were russified on purpose.
the big question is...ummmm...ok.....Islamic terrorists....

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Pretty clear by now that the last world war will be fought between the Chinese and the Islamists. Of the two, let us hope Communism emerges triumphant.

PRAISE__SATAN

Jan 3, 2014
the big question is...ummmm...ok.....Islamic terrorists....

Islamic terrorism didn't just suddenly appear out of nowhere. The Chechen and Ingush and other north Caucasian peoples have been fighting the Russians for centuries. The roots of these conflicts go way back in time. Russia has had insurgecy problems in the region ever since it conquered it in the 1700s and even before. Just like the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union had insurgency problems in other border areas during times of instability. Many areas were russified and insurgency has since gone down.

I brought up the Karelian republic as an example. In the 1920s the Karelians rose into armed rebellion against the red goverment. They were "terrorists". The Karelians either wanted indepence or wanted to join the newly formed independent Republic of Finland. Back in those days the Karelians were an ethnic majority in large areas close to the Finnish border. Today the language is dying being replaced by Russian especially in the younger generations. By 2100 it is entirely possible that the region is close to 100 % Russian or Slavic. Russification has succeeded, in north Caucasus it hasn't. The Islamic "terrorists" in north Caucasus are fighting for a reason. They don't want to become Russians, they don't want to be a part of Russia. Terrorism and calling someone terrorist is a good label to use if you want to ignore the history of the conflict and label one side of the conflict as the wrongdoer.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Its just a side effect of having a resident Muslim population, the Boston bombing was the most recent side effect in the US of that. Limiting immigration from Muslim countries until they get their religion out of the Dark age's would be a great thing for the Western world...The Muslims who are not crazy in the ME and Asia have a uphill battle though.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Islamic terrorism didn't just suddenly appear out of nowhere. The Chechen and Ingush and other north Caucasian peoples have been fighting the Russians for centuries. The roots of these conflicts go way back in time. Russia has had insurgecy problems in the region ever since it conquered it in the 1700s and even before. Just like the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union had insurgency problems in other border areas during times of instability. Many areas were russified and insurgency has since gone down.

I brought up the Karelian republic as an example. In the 1920s the Karelians rose into armed rebellion against the red goverment. They were "terrorists". The Karelians either wanted indepence or wanted to join the newly formed independent Republic of Finland. Back in those days the Karelians were an ethnic majority in large areas close to the Finnish border. Today the language is dying being replaced by Russian especially in the younger generations. By 2100 it is entirely possible that the region is close to 100 % Russian or Slavic. Russification has succeeded, in north Caucasus it hasn't. The Islamic "terrorists" in north Caucasus are fighting for a reason. They don't want to become Russians, they don't want to be a part of Russia. Terrorism and calling someone terrorist is a good label to use if you want to ignore the history of the conflict and label one side of the conflict as the wrongdoer.

Islamic terrorism has been around since Muhammad, it has always been there. Muhammad himself set the standard by attacking caravans near Medina, killing the driver and stealing the wealth. His excuse was that the Meccans stole the Muslims wealth when they left Mecca for Medina, which may be true [who knows] but Muhammad also stole the wealth of ALL of the Jews who lived in Medina a few years after migrating there. He had EVERY male Jew in Medina killed and stole their property. The women were rationed out like pieces of food, to become sex slaves. Justified ? No. He did the same to the Jews of Khaybar: He killed ALL of the men, stole their land, and made their women into sex slaves. He attracted "followers" by promising them a cut of whatever loot they got, most of his followers not surprisingly were outcasts or criminals. It didnt take long for him to have a large army of followers given how much money [and women] he was amassing. Oh and they had no guilt either for killing people left and right since it was Allah's will according to their leader. Women in Islam are considered "Booty/Loot" aswell if they are captured during a raid/terrorist act, Muhammad had hundreds of sex slaves and his men had hundreds of female sex slaves, women are just for sex in islam. Throw a rag over their faces [veil] when you are not using them as a baby factory.

Islam is truely a depraved religion, and unlike most other religions [xtianity etc], its founder WAS a complete nutjob and a murderer. His followers are emulating him entirely. Jesus was peaceful as can be. Ditto for Buddha. The results of becoming a fanatic in Buddhism is obvious, and the same with Islam...Buddhists hardly ever attack people, Islam...Yea need I go there. LOL! Christianity has a bloody past but its founder was not a militant. Thats the endgame for Christianity, being peaceful. Islam's endgame is what we see now, if Muslims are to emulate Muhammad.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I didn't check your quoted Karelia - I don't have a need.

What can I tell...I was born in Soviet Lithuania that was part of USSR.
Today, I'm glad I was born there. I lived there for 30 years and after that, for 22 years in US. There's no "Catch22" in neither of political systems. Both had good things and bad things.

There was no russification in former soviet Lithuania. We had military base in my town. One of my best friends at the moment was a russian guy who fluently spoke lithuanian. I knew some others like him.

Look at today's Lithuania - so called free and democratic - supported by US and EC/NATO. First, there's no democracy - a dictatorship, because same people with their communist past are in power.
Needless to say that Lithuania not independent anymore - it depends to laws and regulations of ES - Forcibly...
More people fled in 22 of so-called democracy years of Lithuania than Stalin's regime expelled lithuanians to Siberia's camps. Political elite lives very well while regular people are forced to emigrate to survive.

sorry, the Baltics weren't exactly "Spared" russification, but for the most part, they were smart enough to kick out as many Soviets as they possibly could in 1990-91. Latvia has probably fared the worse because, unlike Estonia, they didn't simply fire everyone holding government or public positions, force everyone to reapply for their jobs, and likewise banish all non-generational soviet families.

All military and their families were kicked out, sure....but you still see this problem in Latvia of roughly 30% Russian population (roughly 3% prior to the invasion in 1941), whereas in Estonia, today, I believe it is something like 7% of the population is now russian.

It's not so much a "russian problem" as it is a soviet problem, and a very real desire for these older generations to actively enforce russification, to this day, on their non-native homes--demanding official recognition of the language, for one. COnsidering this coming from one's occupiers, the hubris of such demands is astonishing.

It's funny that you say "more people fled" after democracy than during Stalin's reign. OK, sure...let's not even consider the near inability to flee under soviet occupation, and instead look at out many ethnic Lithuanians were extracted from their homes and farms and sent to labor camps to die, in order to make room for trainloads of Russian peasants.

Under a democratic system, it's called emigration. If someone leaves the country to seek better economic opportunity, then only an outright nationalist would call that "fleeing."

PRAISE__SATAN

Jan 3, 2014
All military and their families were kicked out, sure....but you still see this problem in Latvia of roughly 30% Russian population (roughly 3% prior to the invasion in 1941), whereas in Estonia, today, I believe it is something like 7% of the population is now russian.

25 % ;)

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
sorry, the Baltics weren't exactly "Spared" russification, but for the most part, they were smart enough to kick out as many Soviets as they possibly could in 1990-91. Latvia has probably fared the worse because, unlike Estonia, they didn't simply fire everyone holding government or public positions, force everyone to reapply for their jobs, and likewise banish all non-generational soviet families.

Let's see...You Fool...

Non-generation immigrants in US - illegal immigrants - banish or not?

What about englification of indian tribes in North America?
Indian tribes didn't fare as good in North America as latvians, estonians did in in their countries...

What if russians wanted to create a democracy similar to US democracy - to kick out all non russian speaking out of their lands - just like US created democracy in North America?

Why to blame someone else for very same things you've done?

Just to show that you';re a hypocrite and a fool?