ISIS War crime tribunal?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
With ISIS finally being pushed back and their eventual downfall as a caliphate is in sight. Is there any plans in the works for leaders and fighters of this quasi govt to trial for the human rights and war crimes they committed?

I saw Amal Clooney bring this up a couple weeks ago. I think her question is a valid one. Should these people not be put on trial? They are ethnic cleansing groups. And the deal in human traffic, rape, and torture people\prisoners. All with a sense of glee.

I think this would send notice we as a world arent fucking around with this crap. Bombing\killing them is one thing. But bringing them to trial brings legitimacy to the process.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I think this would send notice we as a world arent fucking around with this crap. Bombing\killing them is one thing. But bringing them to trial brings legitimacy to the process.

Legitimacy? Syrian and Iraqi governments will deal with these animals as they see fit.
In short, there will be more human suffering derived from the fall of ISIS and retribution that follows.
But hopefully it'll be less than the wanton Genocide ISIS was committing.

We should stay the !@#$ out of that business.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It will be very hard to collect evidence on them. Unlike conventional armies they don't keep records.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It will be very hard to collect evidence on them. Unlike conventional armies they don't keep records.

There are plenty of eye witness accounts of their brutality. Not to mention the numerous videos they posted to the internet.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Legitimacy? Syrian and Iraqi governments will deal with these animals as they see fit.
In short, there will be more human suffering derived from the fall of ISIS and retribution that follows.
But hopefully it'll be less than the wanton Genocide ISIS was committing.

We should stay the !@#$ out of that business.

I'm sure these two govts could deal with them. But why wouldn't a war crimes trial like Nuremberg be more effective? Have them answer to the world for their crimes against humanity?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You have to capture them before you can put them on trial. Are any of these guys going to surrender?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There are plenty of eye witness accounts of their brutality. Not to mention the numerous videos they posted to the internet.

Well, I never watched any of the videos, but aren't they all covered up, hiding their identity?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well, I never watched any of the videos, but aren't they all covered up, hiding their identity?

I'm pretty sure we didnt have videos of every person killed in WWII at the direction of Nazi leaders. But we were able to convict anyways. It seems like a pretty easy cop out to say we cant see their faces so it isn't the fault of ISIS. Even though ISIS produced and distributed the videos.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
We managed to capture fanatical Nazis trying to escape. We can track these guys down as well.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that ISIS people are less likely to give themselves up than Nazis. We will probably capture some, but these people have a tendency to fight to the death.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Apparently Russia may be aiding isis. Guess they don't like the sanctions. Broke our election and trying to get us wrapped up in another war.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm pretty sure we didnt have videos of every person killed in WWII at the direction of Nazi leaders. But we were able to convict anyways. It seems like a pretty easy cop out to say we cant see their faces so it isn't the fault of ISIS. Even though ISIS produced and distributed the videos.

No I am talking about the ISIS fucks were all hooded, no way to ID them. Nazis were chased down because Germans love to records things in great detail.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
No I am talking about the ISIS fucks were all hooded, no way to ID them. Nazis were chased down because Germans love to records things in great detail.

And Im talking about bringing their leaders to justice. The leaders dont have to light the fuel and burn a prisoner of war in a cage to be guilty of the human rights violations around it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that ISIS people are less likely to give themselves up than Nazis. We will probably capture some, but these people have a tendency to fight to the death.

These are both fanatical ideologies. I dont see why the potential for them to die in a fire instead of giving up precludes us from setting up a framework to put them on trial for crimes against humanity.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
And Im talking about bringing their leaders to justice. The leaders dont have to light the fuel and burn a prisoner of war in a cage to be guilty of the human rights violations around it.

It's the Middle East. Our sense of justice does not belong there. The locals will make sure ISIS no longer exists, and you would try to stop them if you knew their methods. The only thing you'd achieve by trying to involve us... is more conflict.

Jul 9, 2009
We managed to capture fanatical Nazis trying to escape. We can track these guys down as well.
Still working on it 72 years or more after the fact.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/world/poland-alleged-nazi-war-suspect-trnd/
"A 98-year-old Minnesota man accused of committing war crimes during WWII could face arrest and extradition to Poland."

The same enthusiasm should be directed at ISIS and all other Islamic terrorist thugs. Never forget, never forgive, hound them to their graves.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
These are both fanatical ideologies. I dont see why the potential for them to die in a fire instead of giving up precludes us from setting up a framework to put them on trial for crimes against humanity.

The Nazis didn't believe they'd be rewarded in the afterlife for fighting to the death. Also, I tend to agree with Jaskalas that local justice will more than suffice here. Still, I'm not opposed to war crimes trials, if we can capture top leadership.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
If any are rounded up, sure. But it should be the ICC who proceeds with any trial. These are fanatics though and giving them a trial, gives them a forum.

I'm reasonably confident the reason Obama had Bin Laden summarily executed was to reduce the impact his martyrdom would have had with a trial. Where he would have been allowed to speak. That would have been good propaganda for recruitment.

Also, who knows what these people actually know and could say at a trial. Bin Laden dealt with the US during the war in Afghanistan against Russia. There could be dirty laundry these people can air.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
None of this matters. What matters is that we build a giant statue of Trump to acknowledge the fact that he defeated ISIS in less than 2 months. Once again one of his most controversial statements has been proven to be correct: he is much smarter than our generals.