ISIS closing in on Al Asad air base w/ 300 marines confined.......

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...p-seizes-iraqi-town-5-miles-from-marine-base/

So, what do you think we should do about the marines? Keep in mind these marines are also trapped w/ a bunch of Iraqis (I'll assume for the moment) not unlike the ones we trained before who bailed when things got tough. I don't know how comfortable I'd be if I'm a marine w/ those folks whilst thousands of ISIS freaks are trying to take an air base.

I trust our 300 are tough enough but I don't like their confinement battling freaks who could care less about what happens to the property.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Had we had a tougher president, when it came to foreign policy, it would have never come to this. I'm not sure what we can do, it's a messy situation. As a former Marine, I can tell you covert action would be required. This will not be resolved from the air. Spec Ops, Seals, etc.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Had we had a tougher president, when it came to foreign policy, it would have never come to this.

Having that tougher president the previous go round is what brought us to this, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm not sure what we can do, it's a messy situation. As a former Marine, I can tell you covert action would be required. This will not be resolved from the air. Spec Ops, Seals, etc.

Well, yeh, but you don't seem to have any trouble blaming Obama.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Having that tougher president the previous go round is what brought us to this, in case you hadn't noticed.

It's Obama's fault, because, like, if Bush II hadn't preceded him, Saddam would likely still be in power, and ISIS would definitely have weapons, cash and a failed state to use. Or something.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I've looked for the source of the 300 claim and can't find it. I thought it was an extended nod to the battle of Thermopylae?

Are there actually 300 marines trapped?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

No I don't. Piss poor leader, period. You go smack this shit down, yesterday, and now we're gonna bumble around and try and resolve a situation that should have never happened. That's what you call leadership from behind. Yes, He really is that bad.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Can't find any accounts from a news site that isn't fox news or liberty news, i.e. bullshit propaganda machines . Will wait for further info.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Afghanistan turned into a terrorist haven after 1980s.
Iraq is turning into a terrorist haven after 2000s.
That's what happens if you don't leave good enough alone.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I remember the Assad regime was quite sure all the protests in the Middle East wasn't going to happen in Syria. Syria turned into a terrorist haven even with a ruthless dictator, how about Libya? Iraq was going to be a failed state sooner or later, with factions fighting each other, even Saddam wasn't going to hold back the Shiite majority forever. The West will have to face reality. There are thousands of very unhappy young Muslim men living in the West, they have found their cause, and they want to kill.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Syria turned into a terrorist haven even with a ruthless dictator, how about Libya? Iraq was going to be a failed state sooner or later, with factions fighting each other, even Saddam wasn't going to hold back the Shiite majority forever.

Sooner or later, maybe it would be a failed state. But why blow thousands of American lives and a trillion dollars making it one?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Had we had a tougher president, when it came to foreign policy, it would have never come to this. I'm not sure what we can do.

But you blame Obama and not his predecessor who knew what to do? Odd take on recent history. To each his own.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Whatever, I've been to Al Asad in 08. It's a big base in the middle of nowhere. Light infantry is no threat to that base. They'll see them coming before they even get close and take it out with air strikes.

There only location I've been over there and was wondering how the place has not been over run yet was Mosul. That place was seriously scary to me. The town was right outside the gate and the town was on high ground.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Pulling the support out of Iraq early did play a major roll. Obama.

Well he is the Commander in Chief of the military. The buck stops there.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Pulling the support out of Iraq early did play a major roll. Obama.

Well he is the Commander in Chief of the military. The buck stops there.
BushII, blessed be his name, put together the time and date of the pull out.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I am sorry, did history change or something here? Last I remember we were asked to leave Iraq.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am sorry, did history change or something here? Last I remember we were asked to leave Iraq.

Bush asked for an extension of US troops in Iraq. Iraq denied that request. Bush agreed. Obama abided by that agreement.

That was the right thing for both Bush and Obama to do. You can't declare a country sovereign and then immediately turn on it and re-occupy it when it does something you don't like. That would have made their government fall apart immediately.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

Don't even bother man.

Look at these morons in this thread; they are still blaming Bush and he hasn't been in office for 6 years. These idiots are so far from reality that they won't answer a question honestly or even give an informed opinion. Instead they type up whatever they think put Dear Leader in the best light.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Don't even bother man.

Look at these morons in this thread; they are still blaming Bush and he hasn't been in office for 6 years. These idiots are so far from reality that they won't answer a question honestly or even give an informed opinion. Instead they type up whatever they think put Dear Leader in the best light.

Can you give us your informed opinion on this topic?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Had we had a tougher president, when it came to foreign policy, it would have never come to this. I'm not sure what we can do, it's a messy situation. As a former Marine, I can tell you covert action would be required. This will not be resolved from the air. Spec Ops, Seals, etc.

Im not sure what this even means. What specifically do\did you want Obama to do that would have solved the ISIS issue?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I remember the Assad regime was quite sure all the protests in the Middle East wasn't going to happen in Syria. Syria turned into a terrorist haven even with a ruthless dictator, how about Libya? Iraq was going to be a failed state sooner or later, with factions fighting each other, even Saddam wasn't going to hold back the Shiite majority forever. The West will have to face reality. There are thousands of very unhappy young Muslim men living in the West, they have found their cause, and they want to kill.

I'd like to dig into our CIA budgets and if we had a hand in funding these uprisings. More specifically. How much if any interaction did we have with ISIS before they blew up? This has a run away CIA policy feel written all over it.