isekii's Question of the day

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Alright I have a question.

Lets say you have a computer hardwired to a cable modem, but you also have a wireless internet connection simultaneously.

Would that basically at up the total net speed ?

thank you.

EDIT I'm not talking about WIRELESS from the same cable modem service but an outside source, lets say a neighbor or a company that's sending out the wireless signal.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
There are some ways to combine the effective bandwidth ("bridging" maybe?), but I've never done it.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Is that even possible? If it is possible, I don't see how it would up your connection speed unless the connections were combined into one connection. Not to mention, wireless is supposedly slower than wired currently, so you might see a performance hit there.

::shrug::

/surfing away from this topic before my head explodes :p

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Basically, I would think no.

why tho ?
I have a wireless card connected to my laptop but I also have it hard wired to my cable modem.
if it can find a wireless signal, which would get priority ? Wireless or wired ?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
This is the wrong forum. It is possible to use both connections, but it is typically more complicated than would be worth the effort.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
This is the wrong forum. It is possible to use both connections, but it is typically more complicated than would be worth the effort.

True n0cmonkey, but would using both connections, wired & wireless up isekii's 'net speed?

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
just imagine, you have your own cable modem that gives you 2.0mb down and then you find an company sending out OC3 wireless signal.

adding it up = pwnage~!!!

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
No. He is in essence using two NICS, neither of which is capable of being "teamed" like high end NICS in servers. The Windows routing process uses one NIC only for transactions like this. Unless he is using a server based OS with the ability for advanced routing and networking functions along with two NICS capable of being "teamed" or "bonded" it's not going to work.

If you look at your routing table, NICS are given a priority. Traffic can only be routed over one at a time. Now, if you specifically setup routes for certain sites to use the faster NIC over the other, then and only then would you see a benefit. Otherwise, it's of no use to you and I seriously doubt you want to find out the specific IP address(es) to the website(s) you want to visit and plug them into your routing table. I seriously also doubt you'll want to remove those routes when you lose one of the connections and can't get to the site(s) in question as a result.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Rogue
No. He is in essence using two NICS, neither of which is capable of being "teamed" like high end NICS in servers. The Windows routing process uses one NIC only for transactions like this. Unless he is using a server based OS with the ability for advanced routing and networking functions along with two NICS capable of being "teamed" or "bonded" it's not going to work.

hm.. thank you for the info.
Would running WinXP pro allow the so called "Teaming" ?
and which nics would be able to combine connections ?

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Theoretically, if you had some kind of load balancing program you could speed up your total connection speed. But you would have to have this program because you would have two different IP addresses for the connections. In you r case, If you just plugged in both connections you would see no benefit. If you loaded a movie or something I'm pretty sure it would try to use only one of the connections.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I don't think WinXP Pro will let you do it. You basically have to get special drivers which allow for teaming. What that does is give you the option of assigning the same IP address to two different NICs with two different MAC Addresses. I've only seen that in high end server NICs on the Compaq Proliants, etc.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Rogue
I don't think WinXP Pro will let you do it. You basically have to get special drivers which allow for teaming. What that does is give you the option of assigning the same IP address to two different NICs with two different MAC Addresses. I've only seen that in high end server NICs on the Compaq Proliants, etc.

hm... time to search for those high end nics.
Ebay here I come ;)

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
There used to be inexpensive teaming home routers... Wonder if one of the various routers out there could do it.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
You'd need a multiplexing router.

Them babies is 'spensive!

hm.. decided not to search ebay :D

maybe someone can come up with a cheap solution for combining two IP's with diff MAC addresses so we can combine the bandwidth.
they'll make a fortune.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

True n0cmonkey, but would using both connections, wired & wireless up isekii's 'net speed?

Possibly, but I think the redundancy possibilities would be much more valuable.