Isabel Sanford - "Weezie" Jefferson dies. :-(

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&e=1&u=/ap/obit_sanford

LOS ANGELES - Actress Isabel Sanford, best known as "Weezie," Louise Jefferson on the television sitcom "The Jeffersons," died of natural causes, her publicist said Monday. She was 86.

Sanford died Friday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she had been hospitalized since July 4, said Brad Lemack. Her daughter, Pamela Ruff, was at her side, he said.

Her health had waned after undergoing preventive surgery on a neck artery 10 months ago, Lemack said. He did not give a cause of death.

Sanford co-starred with Sherman Hemsley from 1975 to 1985 on CBS' "The Jeffersons," a spin-off of the popular series "All in the Family," in which she also appeared.

In 1981, Sanford became the first black woman to receive an Emmy for Best Actress in a Comedy Series for her work on "The Jeffersons."

Sanford, a native New Yorker, was joined by "Jeffersons" creator Norman Lear and others in January when she received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

"Here with stars in my eyes ? something that I dreamed about when I was 9 years old," she said at the time. "There are others that deserve it, but let everybody get their own."

She enjoyed getting fan mail from people who saw "The Jeffersons" for the first time in reruns, Lemack said.

"She was just amazed and so pleased that the show had that kind of lasting power and entertainment because she loved to make people laugh," he said.

Sanford made her feature film debut in the 1967 classic, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

Recently, Sanford lent her voice to "The Simpsons" and appeared in commercial campaigns for Denny's restaurants and retailer Old Navy.

Besides her daughter, Sanford is survived by two sons, seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

:(

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'll miss her. She was a great actress. She didn't look to good on this years TV Land award show.

Sysadmin

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
She looked pretty bad at those TVland awards just a couple monthes ago. Atleast I think that is where I thought I seen her.

KK

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KK
She looked pretty bad at those TVland awards just a couple monthes ago. Atleast I think that is where I thought I seen her.

KK

Affirmative

Sysadmin

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
:( Roxie Roker (Helen) passed away in '95. That just leaves Tom and George now.

I didn't know that? Bah. Also didn't know Weezie was that old, either? How old is Sherman Helmsey (George)?

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: melly

I didn't know that? Bah. Also didn't know Weezie was that old, either? How old is Sherman Helmsey (George)?

According to IMDB he was born in 1938. Damn she was way older than him in real life! I never really noticed on the show.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

She died young and she is also Lenny Kravitz's mother IRL.

Sysadmin

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999

KK

I noticed that too, she looked to me like she had a stroke.

R.I.P Isable Sanford

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Sysadmin

She died young and she is also Lenny Kravitz's mother IRL.

Sysadmin

Affirmative

raanemaan

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Stifko

KK

I noticed that too, she looked to me like she had a stroke.

R.I.P Isable Sanford

:(

chibchakan

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: BostonRedSox
I was shocked when I heard she was 86 years old. RIP Weezie.

Oh lord, not Weezie. :(
rose.gif