ISA to USB adapter?

ninjazed

Nov 29, 2000
I'm looking for a replacement m/b and am surprised that most companies don't install ISA slots in new boards. I have a great legacy scanner which has an ISA SCSI hookup. Is there any type of adapter that converts ISA to USB (or anything for that matter)?

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Either buy an older mobo (some very recent mobos do come with ISA slots) or buy the motherboard you want and buy a PCI SCSI adapter (it will probably run ~25) and will work just the same (probably better). I have an extra adaptec 2930 SCSI card lying around, PM me. It might have the connection you need, it might not.

ninjazed

Nov 29, 2000
Thanks for the reply. Actually, my friend just bought an ASUS A7V for his new Athlon. I busted his bubble by telling him about the ISA problem. I'm looking for a new m/b too but would prefer to get one WITH an ISA slot on board. It just seems easier, the less plumbing the better, you know. Do you have something to convert an older ISA card to PCI? Thanks again.:)

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You can't convert ISA to PCI. And a PCI SCSI card would work just as well or better than an ISA card. Eliminating ISA slots eliminates some legacy support which can cause slight performance loss. That plus there are simply so few ISA devices created anymore, more people prefer to have extra PCI slots, and having ISA slots in addition to the PCI costs more to the manufacturer.

There are still many motherboards that do come with one, and sometimes two, ISA slots which are shared with the last one or two PCI slots (meaning you can use one or the other, but not both at the same time). The Abit KT7 is one.

ninjazed

Nov 29, 2000
Thanks, would the older H-P scanjet that came with a SCSI card interface still work on a PCI card? If so, where would you get something like that?

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, it will work. You just need to know what type of SCSI interface it uses. I am guessing it is probably a 50 pin SCSI-2 interface, what model is the scanjet?