Is7-E + 2.4C + Hyperx = 3.0GHz so easy !

Salamandar

Sep 20, 2003
Hi all, I'm Back from my Vacation in Alexandria in Egypt and right now I'm in Cairo with my new PC !
Any way I managed to overclock it up to 3.0Ghz from 2.4.
Here are my Gear specs :

Abit IS-7E MOBO (AWESOME ABIT, ABIT IS AWESOME)
Intel P4 2.4C OEM (MALAY CPU)
Coolermaster x14 HSF (No thermal compound, just the carbon thing )
Kingston Hyperx PC3500 :)
Hercules Prophet 9700np
Chieftec 420 PSU
Unammed standard ATX case with 2 fans and a window ! ( I can't wait untill I go back to my home in Jordan to put this gear inisde my winning PC 6919 case )

Any way Usin' 1.6v as core voltage I was able to push the CPU to 3.0GHz ( I haven't tried to push further)
2.8v for the RAMs running at 2-3-3-7 (GAT is set to AUTO and all other options too ! )
the CPU temp. is :

42.5 with no load and up to 52 with load ( I tired SISoft burn test for 5 loops and some no one lives for ever 2 )
Any way I want to share with you some scores from the Sisoft sandra max 3 if you don't mind :

CPU Arith. test

ALU 9223 MIPS
FPU 2601/5797 MFLOPS
CPU Multi-Media test

Integer 13886 it/s
Float 21879 it/s

Memory Bandwidth

int Buff 5366 MB/s
Float Buff 5372 MB/s

So Tell me what do you think !

Should I try some other programs ?

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Looks great.. Chances are you have @ least 3.2 on 1.6volts..

Are you using the stock HSF?

While there is nothing wron with 52c, i would start watch or just get a better HSF.

:)

Salamandar

Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: bjc112

While there is nothing wron with 52c, i would start watch or just get a better HSF.

I'm using Coolermaster x14 with no thermal compound, I think with proper arctic silver, this HSF should fly.
It was stated to be used with P4 3.2 and above !!!!!

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Salamandar
Originally posted by: bjc112

I'm using Coolermaster x14 with no thermal compound, I think with proper arctic silver, this HSF should fly.
It was stated to be used with P4 3.2 and above !!!!!

use soem AS Cremique, it should drop temps a little

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Also if your ram can tolerate using the 5:4 divider try that to see where your max FSB is at. Then you can mess with the max ram settings. You should be able to get 3.2 pretty easy w/o going above 1.6 Vcore and stock cooling.

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
I got to 3.6 ghz with my watercooling ... ;)

however I keep it at 3.0ghz for normal use

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
congrats on the OC;)

i would also suggest using some sort of thermal compound. some is better than none, just to be safe anyways...

MikEHunT2

Sep 24, 2003
i have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, 2.4C @ 3.14, 260 FSB.
1 Gb OCZ PC4000 Gold memory in dual channel mode,
And using Asus's own AI overclocking in BIOS, it ends up with a FSB to RAM ratio of 3 to 2, so my memory is only running at 173.5 when it is rated at 250 easy. So, my question is this, how the hell do i change the FSB:RAM ratio?
I cannot see this option anywhere.
My ram is effectively underclocked from the standard 200 fsb that the board is anyway.
I cannot understand this?

Salamandar

Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: shady06
not stable, may need more vcore, better psu, better cooling. most likely more vcore

I have a good PSU, the chieftec 420 watt one, check tomsharwhere about it :(
Better cooling, I think I only need thermal grease, the CPU TEMP is not that high.
I think I should raise voltage to 1.65 since the abit is known to lower the volteg a little !

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
not stable, may need more vcore, better psu, better cooling. most likely more vcore

Better cooling, I think I only need thermal grease, the CPU TEMP is not that high.
I think I should raise voltage to 1.65 since the abit is known to lower the volteg a little !

Before you go saying that the chieftec 420 is good, check your hardware monitor and verify that your voltages are not fluctuating. I have a chieftec (antec samething) case that came with a nice Turbolink (made by Cheming) 420W psu that worked fine with my other systems. With both the IS7 and the IC7-G the voltages fluctuated quite abit. Since I got my Antec true control 550 my voltages are rock stable.

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: orion7144

Before you go saying that the chieftec 420 is good, check your hardware monitor and verify that your voltages are not fluctuating. I have a chieftec (antec samething) case that came with a nice Turbolink (made by Cheming) 420W psu that worked fine with my other systems. With both the IS7 and the IC7-G the voltages fluctuated quite abit. Since I got my Antec true control 550 my voltages are rock stable.

How much fluctuation are you talking about? Please give the range. And in which rail? I have the IS7, with the same chip, and Kingston HyperX PC 3000 two sticks of 512MB. I run it at 3Ghz default voltage though. I have the Antec True Power 430W.
Thanks.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Bad_Dude
Originally posted by: orion7144

How much fluctuation are you talking about? Please give the range. And in which rail? I have the IS7, with the same chip, and Kingston HyperX PC 3000 two sticks of 512MB. I run it at 3Ghz default voltage though. I have the Antec True Power 430W.
Thanks.

I was seeing fluctuations on all rails. 12V and 5V being the worst fluctuating between +/- .2 volts. Where the same lines don't move but maybe .01.

Salamandar

Sep 20, 2003
MMMM I see some fluctuation over the Vcore !!!!!
the Vcore is 1.6 most of the time, but go down to 1.58 for less than a second then rise back to 1.60 !
is this normal ?
Other fluctuation is founded on the +5v rail, it float between 5.08 and 5.1 but 5.08 most of the time.
Other than that every thing is stable !!!!!!!