Is your Windows 7 64 bit rock solid stable?

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Is your Windows 7 64 bit rock solid stable?

Yes. I've forgotten what a crash even looks like.

As stable as W7 32bit?

Never did try.

And are you running any 32 bit software on it?

Every software I have knowingly installed is 32-bit.

What did you think of Vista?

Yeah I added this question on my own. Vista 64 was every bit as stable on the same hardware. So were Windows XP and various linuxes. Take from that what you will.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

Never did try.

Yeah I added this question on my own. Vista 64 was every bit as stable on the same hardware. So were Windows XP and various linuxes. Take from that what you will.

X2, couldn't ask for anything more. I do have a few 64 programs installed.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I'm running Win7 Home 64bit on a pair of SSDs in RAID 0. Everything's smooth. However, because I only have 4GB of RAM in the system, when I play some really intense videos, it stutters. I'm thinking about getting another 4GB to fix the problem.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I run apps like 3dsmax, maya and also simulation software like labworks along with games and photoshop , it also doubles as a media server for the rest of the house and I never have any issues. System stays on 24/7 and hasn't been rebooted in a week.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

Never did try.

This, but I have a few 64 bit apps as well.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
I'm running Win7 Home 64bit on a pair of SSDs in RAID 0. Everything's smooth. However, because I only have 4GB of RAM in the system, when I play some really intense videos, it stutters. I'm thinking about getting another 4GB to fix the problem.

ummm.... what are you running on the system to make videos stutter because of "only 4GB of RAM"? Example of intense video that makes stutter?

And my 64-bit Win7 is rock stable but only with the correct drivers, naturally. The default drivers that get installed are not stable for my system.

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
In my opinion, it isn't as stable as when it first came out. Still the best Windows version ever, but with age the a-holes are finding ways to exploit it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'd say it's pretty stable.

I was having issues with one of my machines, but they seemed to go away when I flashed the BIOS, and unplugged the 4-in-1 card reader.

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
Yes, now that i've resolved the Nvidia TDR issues that i was having. 32-bit or 64-bit software all works equally well.

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
How did you fix this and is this the issue that causes the display driver to crash then reciver itself?

That's the one! After months and months of rock solid stabililty, the TDR errors just cropped up out of the blue. No rhyme or reason to it. I tried everything to fix this, up to and including standing on one foot whilst simultaneously chanting dark verse and drinking the blood of virgins, and it still wasn't happenening.

Then i really got into the guts of it and did some methodical testing of different Driver releases going way back to the 26X.XX era. I was testing some of the suggested 'fixes' that have been doing the rounds too to see what would help.

What fixed it for me a combination of using the 285.62 Driver set, (full uninstall of old Driver before Install of new set), which alone didn't eradicate the problem.. but setting 'Prefer Maximum Performance' in the Nvidia CP, rather than using 'Adaptive' Power Management did the trick. I haven't had a TDR Error for two weeks since then, whereas before i was having several of them a day.

It means that my GTX570 is running at full clocks most of the time, but of course it matters not as the GPU load is only around 1% most of the time anyway.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
OMG!!!! Micro$ucks can't make a real OS if they TRIED! Doesn't you all know linux is teh only stable 100% 24/7 secure system????

Micr$uck on your BSOD 24/7 MicroFools!!!1!!

:D

If nothing else, at least the latest versions of Windows were able to put a stop to ^

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Rock solid, no instabilities at all (that i can remember) in the last 2+ years, but Skyrim did force two hard boots. Then i did the sound (16- to 24-bit) fix and have not seen the problem again.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

I run all sorts of video on the system in my sig below and never get stutter unless its actually in the video.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I have two of my own at work, and maintain another five, all 64-bit, with a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit software. No complaints regarding Windows... Dell might be another story, but we won't go there right now :D

At home, I've had isolated instances where my nVidia video driver crashes and recovers, nothing worse than that though.

Anyway OP, if your underlying question is "which version should I use," the answer is "definitely 64-bit, unless you need 16-bit support for something."

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
There is no reason to get 32bit win 7. I can't really remember the last time I saw a pc or laptop have 32 bit win 7. 64 bit has to be stable or else dell hp etc wouldnt be using it as the default os

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yes, it's been great in the year or so i've had it and i run tons of 32 bit software.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
People still use 32 bit Windows?

I've used 64 bit for about 4 years with zero issues. Windows 7 is the best OS I've ever used. I have to go back to damn MacOS at work and god I hate it. Seems so clunky and limited in comparison.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
No computer is rock stable but my current build, with Win7 x64, is one of the most stable I've owned. A few times the display driver has crashed, which causes a black screen for ~20 seconds and then a message that the driver has been successfully reset. It seems to happen slightly more frequently with the latest Nvidia drivers, so I'm blaming them.

Also, obviously some specific application or game might crash from time to time (e.g. Reaper when loading corrupt VST, Skyrim because it's made by Bethesda).

I've been running the same installation since Win7 came out in 2009.

Last edited: