Is your Firefox broke? Mine started this morning

Nov 20, 2009
I was surfing like I normally do every morning while drinking my morning brew when a thin yellow warning bar appeared at the top of the Firefox browser screen telling me my Extensions were no longer supported and to click a button for further information. Now this is on my Linux box, which I treat as a safe yet volatile environment that I would never do any shopping, banking, or even email. Nothing in this SSD has anything about 'me' on it, which I like because I can take the gloves off when roaming the web freely.

I clicked the button and was presented with a screen showing the uBlock Origin and Flash Video Downloader extensions were disabled by Firefox because they failed some sort of update requirement. This stayed like this and then I goa another message bar saying the problem was on Firefox's side and they were actively working on it. I let the issue go for them to work on it and came back six hours later only to find that Firefox actively uninstalled them--not just turned them off--and I cannot re-install them. For instance, the screen grab I took of trying to re-install uBlock Origin ... and Firefox telling me to check my connection--how is my connection and issue if I am reaching Mozilla's Add-On repository!?!

Grab12.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's pretty bad... the idea that the browser is relying on some external thing just to work does not sit well with me.

Mine seems fine though? Maybe this does not affect the Linux version?

Nov 20, 2009
This IS the Linux version. And the problem isn't seen in Chrome as I have the same two Add-On plugins installed on Chrome and they are working and still there. Initially I thought it might be a VPN connection issue so I tried it without it and the same crap keeps happening. I guess I should start researching how to roll back FF to pre v.57 and see if I can get them working. Either that, or it is time to Nuke & Pave (Backup data, wipe with Secure Erase and reinstall Linux Mint).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This IS the Linux version. And the problem isn't seen in Chrome as I have the same two Add-On plugins installed on Chrome and they are working and still there. Initially I thought it might be a VPN connection issue so I tried it without it and the same crap keeps happening. I guess I should start researching how to roll back FF to pre v.57 and see if I can get them working. Either that, or it is time to Nuke & Pave (Backup data, wipe with Secure Erase and reinstall Linux Mint).
You didn't read the link I gave you, or follow the link of that thread's op, did you?

Nov 20, 2009
lxskllr, I honestly didn't even see your post when i replied to the Squirrel. Too bad, too, because I went and removed FF, the sudo re -rf on files and folders that didn't get removed, rebooted and reinstalled to a working environment with working add-on's. Unfortunately, while I did export the bookmarks apparently if you had stuff saved to the bookmarks toolbar that did NOT get exported. Why would URLs saved to the Bookmarks Toolbar not be considered like any other bookmarks when exporting?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
lxskllr, I honestly didn't even see your post when i replied to the Squirrel. Too bad, too, because I went and removed FF, the sudo re -rf on files and folders that didn't get removed, rebooted and reinstalled to a working environment with working add-on's. Unfortunately, while I did export the bookmarks apparently if you had stuff saved to the bookmarks toolbar that did NOT get exported. Why would URLs saved to the Bookmarks Toolbar not be considered like any other bookmarks when exporting?
I just checked the html export, and it got all of my bookmarks. Not sure what happened to you; bug?

edit:
I also did a .json backup, and doing a search of keywords(It's not very readable), it appears it got my toolbar stuff.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Nov 20, 2009
The bookmarks are a mistake. It seems that while it created a Bookmarks toolbar folder, it imported it as a regular folder. I guess there is not yet a permanent fix. I frequently close my browser, reboot/turn-off my PC so any fix that only works for the active browser session isn't a solution for me. I guess FF really does want to shut down.

Nov 20, 2009
The problem introduced itself on my Linux box which was running the most up to date version. On my Windows 7 box, I was deliberately using an older version, which makes the temp fix not usable.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just got hit on my work Linux laptop. It did not only disable my extensions it completely removed them. I tried to see if I can just reinstall but I get a "Download failed. Please check your connection." error. Going to have to look at the posted fix and figure this out later.

As a side note this site has more ads than a NASCAR suit.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just did Studies fix and that worked for me. Had to restart Firefox completely for change to take effect.

Weird how random this issue is though. Like it never hit my at home. Guessing it will eventually, maybe next reboot.