Is your couch racist?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
mine aren't racist... they represent sureno!

<--- blue couches.

don't kill me, i'm white and nerdy and not a gang member.

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
Dang, I reposted this because I searched for sofa and brown and nothing came up lol. Doh.

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: TekDemon
Dang, I reposted this because I searched for sofa and brown and nothing came up lol. Doh.
should've searched for couch.

I know. Damned synonyms are out to ruin my life.

But anyways I think it'd be kinda hilarious if they had an entire line of racist colored couches, lol. The possibilities are endless. I mean you could fairly easily make a tan colored racist couch, a white colored racist couch, a yellow colored racist couch, and if you go look up some old-school american indian slurs you could even have a reddish racist couch.

Man I'm off to register racistcouches.com

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/04/19/canada.couch.ap/index.html

Apparently it was due to a translation error from a Chinese to English software. Now the owner of the couch is suing for compensation. It was obviously a translation error. I doubt the manufacturers from China knew what that offensive term meant (that term popped up when translating dark brown from Chinese to English), and the Indian store owner from the store the lady bought the couch from claims he doesn't know what that term means either, which isn't surprising since he's from India. No need to go on suing people now.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
However, ni****er is spelled differently from the word from negro (as in spanish) and even negroe (english) . That specific word is an ethnic slur and a slang, not an actual formal word in any dictionary. If it is in dictionary it will say that it's a "street-speak" or a slang. I don't see how it was a mis-translation.