Is your BFG 7600GT loud too?

River Side

Jul 11, 2006
Ok I know the new video cards get very hot etc etc and need active cooling yada yada yada.. but this is insane?

I managed to build such a quiet rig and the only thing destroying it is this stupid video card.. it just whirrs soooo freaking loud!! It's extremely annoying..

Now granted when i'm not gaming or putting any pressure on it, it's near silent.. but why does ****** hits the fan when it's loaded???

would I be better off with a 7600GS? or is there a card that's better than the GT but quieter?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
There is a fanless version of 7600GT (Gigabyte?) and a heatpiped-HSF version (MSI). Yeah if you built your rig with silence in mind, the 7600GT can be quite annoying. You can stick up a Zalman VF900 on your GT, alternatively.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
G73 runs relatively cool actually so it's really the fault of the dinky fan and its settings (my Leadtek is very quiet). You could try reducing the speeds with RivaTuner while monitoring temperatures. The core slowdown threshold is 115 C so if it maintains below that with tolerably low speed/noise then apparently it will be fine. Otherwise install a larger fan if compatible with the design of the existing heat sink else go the Zalman route.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have the eVGA 7600GT KO in my current build and its not loud at all IMO.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Being anal I have found every stock fan I have tried loud. I have also found all the aftermarket coolers I have tried very quiet. I just expect to have to change the cooler. Anyways if the x2 will fit that card, is inexpensive and works great. :beer:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The reference fan on a 7600GT is the loudest most annoying POS I have ever heard. Most venders like eVGA now have different fans on certain versions their cards now.

Slighty off topic but I tried a eVGA 7600GS AGP for a couple weeks and it was whisper quiet even during hours of gaming.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Just get aftermarket cooling. Zalman 700 should do the trick, otherwise the 900 will be great (albeit for more money).

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
You got 3 choices.

Zalman 700, Zalman 900 or the NV6 silencer rev2.

These will remove your issue pf noise.

River Side

Jul 11, 2006
hmm what's that Riva Tuner? I hope it's freeware!

I am reluctant to buy an aftermarket cooler, cuz then it would throw off the whole deal.. like hey I could have bought an entirely different card for the total I spent on this thing.. I think i'll give tuning a try and see if lowering the RPM helps.. It's the only card in the computer and gets all the cold intake air so maybe it can live with lower cfms..