Is Xbox 360 controller still going to be widely supported for PC?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
With the new consoles coming out, will the 360 controller still be used as a widely supported gamepad?

I just shelled out the $40 (way too expensive for a wired controller imo) for a black 360 controller for my PC to use for a few games, I'm hoping i'll get years, as opposed to months, of use out of it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Who knows, but there are tons of games out right now that support it and their support isn't going to disappear just because a new controller comes out.

Someone will probably make a program anyways (or modify an existing one) to have the old controller seen as the new one. I don't foresee any new buttons on the next gen controllers that will actually be for gameplay anyways.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've always been really disappointed with Microsoft's support for them in Windows. The biggest thing that I hate is using wireless 360 controllers in Windows, because I find it lame that they only way to turn them off is removing the battery pack. I was kind of hoping that Windows 8 would at least include some sort of menu like the 360 does if you hold down the XBOX button, but Windows 8 doesn't do anything different with the adapter.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've always been really disappointed with Microsoft's support for them in Windows. The biggest thing that I hate is using wireless 360 controllers in Windows, because I find it lame that they only way to turn them off is removing the battery pack. I was kind of hoping that Windows 8 would at least include some sort of menu like the 360 does if you hold down the XBOX button, but Windows 8 doesn't do anything different with the adapter.

:-\ Takes like 2 seconds to unlock/re-lock it. Probably shorter amount of time than to hold in the button and turn it off through the menu.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

I agree. It's not a huge issue, just kind of an annoyance. Shouldn't have to take the battery off, 2 seconds or not.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Who knows, but there are tons of games out right now that support it and their support isn't going to disappear just because a new controller comes out.

Someone will probably make a program anyways (or modify an existing one) to have the old controller seen as the new one. I don't foresee any new buttons on the next gen controllers that will actually be for gameplay anyways.

Pretty much this. It's an awesome controller, lots of games support it, and I don't really see it going away anytime soon.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Even Steam officially supports it. It's not going away. I wonder if games will continue to provide UI controls for the 360 (I was quite glad that Crysis 2 and 3 do, sad Crysis 1 does not).