Is world of warcraft good value for me?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I dont really know, i played it once before for a month and i liked it, it was good fun i can see why so many people play it. But i couldnt bring myself to pay monthly for the game, that was about 2 years ago maybe a few months less because i remember it was xmas time in WoW and santa was giving out cookies in exchange for junk or something like that.

The only games i will buy in the future are going to be from valve/rockstar/blizzard im not interested in what other companies offer because imo theyve forgotten what fun is. Theres plenty of exceptions like i might look into fallout 3, oblivion gone radioactive sounds fun, also company of heros was good too. So im thinking if i wont be getting that many new games in the future should i play WoW instead?

Maybe the mr T advert is getting to my head i dunno.... sounds like fun though, is fun worth £9.99 a month? Is it £9.99? I dont remember.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
It really depends on how much you get into the game. If you play an MMO a lot, then the monthly fee can be very much worth it and much more financially efficient than buying new, short games.

However, if you don't play the MMO much, then it sits there eating away at your resources.

Still, most of the times the fee is worth it though. However, I'm not sure of the exact price at the moment.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
A good number of people spend 100s of bucks a month going out.

$15 bucks a month for a couple of nights of nothing to do for WoW isn't bad. Especially if you actually enjoy it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I spend $45 a month on 3 accounts and have no qualms... although some of them are on game cards :p.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Value should be the last thing you worry about when thinking of starting up WoW. You can dump 30 hours a week into the game and not run out of content for a long long time.

You really should be worrying about what it can do to your social life.

chorb

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Soviet
Well im sold. Grab your sword and fight the horde!! Hoo rah!

the horde doesnt want you anyway!!! :p

what realm / battlegroup are you on?

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
I quit WoW about 2 years ago too (guild wanted to re-roll as ALliance on a diff server - now guild is on top guild on that server). I'm tempted to come back. I miss just running around and killing stuff :(

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ggnl
Value should be the last thing you worry about when thinking of starting up WoW. You can dump 30 hours a week into the game and not run out of content for a long long time.

You really should be worrying about what it can do to your social life.

Add some more 'long's. You can easily play the damn game all day and night.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I'm tempted to come back. I miss just running around and killing stuff
They need a server with no instanced battlegrounds / arenas or dishonor kills (not sure if they exist, but they used to occur when someone in a raid killed certain NPCs) to bring back world PvP... those raids were the days.......

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: chorb

Im on the sylvannas PvP server. My character from 2 years ago on the boulderdash server is still there though but shes a rogue and apparently they suck at PvP now so ill stick with my warlock on sylvannas.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
One nice thing about WoW is that it stops you from spending money on computer upgrades. :p

doggyfromplanetwoof

Feb 7, 2005
Dont forget Spore..!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and yes I play and I love it, have been playing since 2004, cant see me quitting anytime soon. I am honestly in love with the game. Sad, but true.

Shortass

May 13, 2004
Originally posted by: chorb

Im on the sylvannas PvP server. My character from 2 years ago on the boulderdash server is still there though but shes a rogue and apparently they suck at PvP now so ill stick with my warlock on sylvannas.

Rogues and Druids are the end all of pvp at the moment. Rogues are scary.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I'm tempted to come back. I miss just running around and killing stuff
They need a server with no instanced battlegrounds / arenas or dishonor kills (not sure if they exist, but they used to occur when someone in a raid killed certain NPCs) to bring back world PvP... those raids were the days.......

world pvp is definitely much better than instanced bgs. it's bull that you can get the same amount of honor in bgs as in world.

they need world pvp to be a viable alternative to bgs (ie: there's practically no capital city raiding which shouldn't be that way since the point of the game is alliance vs horde beyond bgs)

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I'd say don't do it. Before you know it, you'll be spending more time than you have and actually can commit to a game and it will severly impact your social life. I find it quite similar to drugs: sure, there are people who don't get addicted (not much anyway), but alot do and no, they can't see the problem until the mess up alot of things. So, to be on the safe side, just don't start it. There are plenty of SP games around that are fun.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah, the real cost is the opportunity cost of playing the game all the time.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Qbah
I'd say don't do it. Before you know it, you'll be spending more time than you have and actually can commit to a game and it will severly impact your social life. I find it quite similar to drugs: sure, there are people who don't get addicted (not much anyway), but alot do and no, they can't see the problem until the mess up alot of things. So, to be on the safe side, just don't start it. There are plenty of SP games around that are fun.

Yeah you're pretty much right. Every time I pick the game up again I start playing pretty responsibly, but slowly regress to the point where it's (once again) taking up nearly 100% of my free time. Then I cancel my account and the cycle begins anew. I just can't bring myself to sell my characters though. I'm like a junkie waiting to relapse.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
A guy at work just got fired for missing too much time due to staying up all night playing WoW. If by good value, you mean losing your social life and potential job, then sure. ;)

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
I tried to get into it, because my girlfriend plays, but I just couldn't do it. I was bored out of my mind after only getting my character's level to the low teens.. How can people keep interested to get to 70?! I canceled my account after a week or so. I guess if you're into that sort of thing, then its gotta be a good value for you. If you like it, pay for it.. it's not that expensive.

edit: if you can't manage a social life AND a video game, then maybe you've got major psychological issues that should probably be dealt with anyway.. just sayin..

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I'm thinking about playing the game again... if they add gnome priest and druid. Shift into Bunny! Red Panda! Corgi!