is windows 7 really faster than Vista? (on netbooks)

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I have an Asus Eee 900HA and i put Vista on it and to me i dont think its any slower than XP. Load times arent that bad and it can play every type of video besides hi-def content.

Ive read in many articles that people say Vista is unusable on netbooks. Those same people are raving about how great windows 7 runs and that its just as fast as XP if not faster.

So is it worth it to put it on. Has anyone else done it yet? and btw i dont mind that it only works unill august or whenever.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
think of windows 7 to be an optimized version of vista

currently its in beta.. so there might be a problem with drivers

Ionman123

Jan 18, 2009
I haven't heard of how Win7 runs or how anything runs on a netbook but I think that Vista runs pretty good if you can get past all the rumors that have been floating around no matter what it runs on.

napes22

Aug 15, 2006
I'm using Win7 on my MSI wind, never actually used Vista. Win7 works as well, as XP, and I have had no problems whatsoever. I love the OS.

Idcurrie

Dec 19, 2008
Ive read in many articles that people say Vista is unusable on netbooks. Those same people are raving about how great windows 7 runs and that its just as fast as XP if not faster.

Many people are ignorant sheep.

I've run both vista, xp, and 7 beta on lots of lower end hardware including my dell mini 9 netbook and both Vista and 7 are identically fast in my experience. From my testing with older hardware 7 beta does little to no to improve performance on older hardware over vista.

Don't believe everything you read about Vista. It's not that bad.

meson2000

Jul 18, 2001
This isn't iron clad, but notebook review did a review of the new Sony P series netbook. If you look at the benchmark section at the bottom of the article, they installed it with both the Win 7 beta and Vista and ran a couple of benchmarks. In the commentary section they say that the user experience is better under Win 7 than Vista, but this is on a 1.33ghz Atom processor and GMA 500 graphics so take it with a grain of salt...

Sony P series

Here the results if you don't want to go to the link...

wPrime 32M time
Win 7 154.768 seconds
Vista 172.425 seconds

PCMark05 Score
Win 7 1,175 PCMarks
Vista 972 PCMarks

3DMark06
Win 7 71 3DMarks
Vista 88 3DMarks

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
My experience of a low-end laptop, Celeron 1.7 ish and 2GB ram, is that Vista stuttered and froze up a lot, and W7 feels MUCH better. Just one experience on one random bit of hardware, my 2 cents.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
its a load of crap comparing vista SP2 (yes sp2) to windows 7. there's a good reason they are delaying SP2 release lol.

if you run windows 2008 (vista's evil twin) you'll realize its just as fast as windows 7.

they want to sell some upgrades man. thats all.

wait till folks figure out all the tricks they are using to make 7 seem better :)

Lepard

Mar 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Emulex
its a load of crap comparing vista SP2 (yes sp2) to windows 7. there's a good reason they are delaying SP2 release lol.

if you run windows 2008 (vista's evil twin) you'll realize its just as fast as windows 7.

they want to sell some upgrades man. thats all.

wait till folks figure out all the tricks they are using to make 7 seem better :)

So since you seem to know, what are these "tricks"

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
With all these benchmarks, do they take into account to let vista finish indexing the stuff after a fresh install?
The difference in performance and snappines between a fresh istall and one a week old where all the disk grinding has finished can be quite substantial. Especially on slow 5400rpm laptop drives.