Is USPS priority faster than UPS Ground?

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Hello, so I bought some headphones on amazon for 24.94 and bought some irish spring soap as a filler. I got two e-mail confirmations, one for the soap, one for the headphones. Apparently the soap was sent UPS ground and will be here between the 26th and 30th. However the headphones we're COMPLIMENTARY "upgraded" to USPS priority which is supposed to get here between the 30th and the 1st. Both items were shipped the same day, so why would they do that???

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
usps is quicker

I HATE UPS GROUND.
No deliveries on the weekends and they're slow as Fvck.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
USPS Priority has always been faster than UPS ground for me anyway. Though I try to avoid UPS for anything.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: 50
Hello, so I bought some headphones on amazon for 24.94 and bought some irish spring soap as a filler. I got two e-mail confirmations, one for the soap, one for the headphones. Apparently the soap was sent UPS ground and will be here between the 26th and 30th. However the headphones we're COMPLIMENTARY "upgraded" to USPS priority which is supposed to get here between the 30th and the 1st. Both items were shipped the same day, so why would they do that???

Weight. Lighter packages are cheaper to send by USPS, even using priority mail.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
USPS priority is faster than UPS Ground and they dont drag the package behind the truck on the dirt roads...... as much

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
USPS owns for packages under 3 lbs. DHL Ground for everything else

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
priority mail is very fast, in same states only 1 day everywhere else 90 percent of the time it's 2 day and rarely 3days or more!

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
i prefer USPS. they are fast! I never have a coast to coast package take longer than 3 days except once. I wrote down a wrong zipcode that time and it took 4 days.

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
UPS ground takes 5-7 days across the country and sometime up to 10days or even 2weeks, these guys are joke at shipping anything that is cheap!!!their 2nd,3 day delivery is very expensive thought and isn't guaranteed to be 2-3 days either could be 4-5days for all you know! :|:|:|:|:|:|:

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: DaWhim
i prefer USPS. they are fast! I never have a coast to coast package take longer than 3 days except once. I wrote down a wrong zipcode that time and it took 4 days.
from Ca to Ga, only 2 days!!! How they do that??? for 1lbs package 3.85. yet most vendors don't use them? why? no tracking! but the stupid ups tracking is only as good as those clowns working at UPS LOL

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Justin218
Priority is so much faster and better than ups

heh, i just a have ups moron delivered my package to my neighbor, christ! was he on weeds? from CA to KS, 5 days is just sad :(

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: RobCur
Originally posted by: DaWhim
from Ca to Ga, only 2 days!!! How they do that??? for 1lbs package 3.85. yet most vendors don't use them? why? no tracking! but the stupid ups tracking is only as good as those clowns working at UPS LOL

the fastest record I had was I sent out a package on wed morning and my friend got it on friday afternoon. I always use USPS with delivery confirmation. I never have problem with that.

well, if I am buying something online, I would rather have the vendor use ups/fedex/air borne.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: sixone

Um, who is cheaper than who depends on what zip code it's going to. The past 4-5 packages bought off of FS/FT or eBay I've shipped UPS because they all weighed over 20lbs, and USPS Priority would have charged me well over $12 per package, whereas all (except for one to CA) were under $10 via UPS.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

Um, who is cheaper than who depends on what zip code it's going to. The past 4-5 packages bought off of FS/FT or eBay I've shipped UPS because they all weighed over 20lbs, and USPS Priority would have charged me well over $12 per package, whereas all (except for one to CA) were under $10 via UPS.

And DHL is cheaper than Fedex Ground and UPS Ground...I never use UPS anymore for my eBay packages. And since I've setup an account with DHL and have maintained it for nearly a year shipping out so many damn packages, I've gotten discounted rates and coupons every now and then for $10 off here and there. My shipping for eBay goes as follows:

USPS First Class: 1-10 ounces
USPS Priority Mail: 1-2 pounds
DHL Ground: Everything else

And DHL Ground is so much faster than UPS Ground or FedEx Ground. 80% of the time, I get a package to go from NC to the west coast in 3 days instead of 5.

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Faster? YES!!!
Cheaper? NO
Slower? NO
stupider? YES, UPS makes 3 attempt, USPS does not. That sucks :(

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: RobCur
Faster? YES!!!
Cheaper? NO
Slower? NO
stupider? YES, UPS makes 3 attempt, USPS does not. That sucks :(

Priority mail can be left in your mailbox though. And if you're in an apartment, in one of those larger mailboxes with a key.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
I like Priority the best. Its not that expensive, and its fast. I've had something from Hawaii come to Florida in 3 days.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

And DHL is cheaper than Fedex Ground and UPS Ground...I never use UPS anymore for my eBay packages. And since I've setup an account with DHL and have maintained it for nearly a year shipping out so many damn packages, I've gotten discounted rates and coupons every now and then for $10 off here and there. My shipping for eBay goes as follows:

USPS First Class: 1-10 ounces
USPS Priority Mail: 1-2 pounds
DHL Ground: Everything else

And DHL Ground is so much faster than UPS Ground or FedEx Ground. 80% of the time, I get a package to go from NC to the west coast in 3 days instead of 5.

I can bet my company's shipping rates pwn your DHL rates :p You can't compete with a company whose been shipping out packages for over 10 years via UPS, or via one of the largest printers in Illinois if I need to go FedEx. Not to mention, my aunt works for FedEx, so it'd be pretty easy for me to get some nice discounts via FedEx (too much of a hassle most of the time)

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
I like DHL (we are airborne's 4th largest customer) but the ground service is either early or late. They are the cheapest thing going for next day air though. I love to send out stuff from fs/ft and the people are shocked to get it the next day.