Is unemployment getting worse?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
It's hard to say whether or not it's getting worse or better without knowing the actual figures (to the extent they can be determined). The government's numbers have been bogus for years because they are purposely designed to ignore many people who are unemployed. These numbers might be more realistic:

http://www.shadowstats.com/

The other big issue is that of quality of employment. There's are big differences between part-time jobs and full-time jobs and a job that pays a poverty-wage salary with no benefits or crappy benefits and a solid middle class job.

Even if the unemployment rate has decreased, quality of employment seems to have decreased significantly. People who lose solid middle class jobs can often only find poverty-wage jobs to replace them.

Is it all Obama's fault? I don't see how it could possibly all be his fault. The economic policies and trends that resulted in our current predicament have been in place for decades. Is it Obama's fault that businesses have been moving manufacturing overseas and to Mexico for decades? Is it Obama's fault that employers can hire foreigners for lower wages than Americans using the H-1B and L-1 visa programs? Is mass immigration Obama's fault? Is all of the illegal immigration that's been occurring for decades Obama's fault? (Hello, Reagan amnesty program.) Did Obama cause the housing bubble? Did Obama repeal Glass-Steagall?

No one person or even party is solely responsible for all of this. The destruction of the U.S. economy through Global Labor Arbitrage and through policies designed to benefit the wealthy at the expense of the lower classes was a group effort involving both the Republicans and the Democrats over a number of decades.

Obama might not be advocating the solutions, but he certainly isn't responsible for this mess. Who is advocating the solutions? Certainly not the free market-loving Republicans. When was the last time a Republican politician introduced a bill to end the H-1B and L-1 visa program?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Meh, it's the same thing people were bitching about when Bush was in office. These are "shitty jobs"(your words not mine) being "created", plus more government work. yay we need more government employees that we can't pay because our government is broke!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Not surprising that the left/Democrats here try to stifle debate in these forums by manipulating forum rules.

Yet another blanket, hopefully these will soon be a thing of the past here as they are getting rather old and tattered...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
It's hard to say whether or not it's getting worse or better without knowing the actual figures (to the extent they can be determined). The government's numbers have been bogus for years because they are purposely designed to ignore many people who are unemployed. These numbers might be more realistic:

http://www.shadowstats.com/

The other big issue is that of quality of employment. There's are big differences between part-time jobs and full-time jobs and a job that pays a poverty-wage salary with no benefits or crappy benefits and a solid middle class job.

Even if the unemployment rate has decreased, quality of employment seems to have decreased significantly. People who lose solid middle class jobs can often only find poverty-wage jobs to replace them.

Is it all Obama's fault? I don't see how it could possibly all be his fault. The economic policies and trends that resulted in our current predicament have been in place for decades. Is it Obama's fault that businesses have been moving manufacturing overseas and to Mexico for decades? Is it Obama's fault that employers can hire foreigners for lower wages than Americans using the H-1B and L-1 visa programs? Is mass immigration Obama's fault? Is all of the illegal immigration that's been occurring for decades Obama's fault? (Hello, Reagan amnesty program.) Did Obama cause the housing bubble? Did Obama repeal Glass-Steagall?

No one person or even party is solely responsible for all of this. The destruction of the U.S. economy through Global Labor Arbitrage and through policies designed to benefit the wealthy at the expense of the lower classes was a group effort involving both the Republicans and the Democrats over a number of decades.

Obama might not be advocating the solutions, but he certainly isn't responsible for this mess. Who is advocating the solutions? Certainly not the free market-loving Republicans. When was the last time a Republican politician introduced a bill to end the H-1B and L-1 visa program?
Well said. Too much of our time and energy are being spent arguing which party is responsible. That just puts off accepting that both are responsible (albeit sometimes in different ways) and thus, that WE are responsible. We elect the people who represent us. We buy the Chinese crap that drives American manufacturers out of business. We accept the idea that we can consume more than we produce, that "someone else" can and should make up the difference.

I'm no fan of Obama's policies, but in my opinion no other President would make a major change in the rate of our recovery. I think the personal factors - lack of faith in Obama, fear of new taxes and costs - are minor compared to the major factors such as outsourcing, which means that of every dollar we spend a significant portion leaves our economy. And the longer we cling to this notion that if we only elect the right man and/or the right party we can continue to consume more than we produce, the deeper we'll sink. I'm all for electing the right man and the right party, but neither is going to solve our fundamental problems until we as a nation demand it and accept the price for doing so.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This week's new unemployment claims was 351,000, concensus expectation was 355,000.

I haven't fished all through the thread-has the OP ever explained how he presented purported figures for the month of February without the final two weeks of the month in yet?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Getting worse? I dunno about that overall, but it's NOT getting better here. The last numbers released by the California EDD are for December 2011, and we're still sitting at 16.1%...up from 15.4% in November...but down from 17.5% a year ago.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
It's getting pretty bad, even for the "in demand" jobs. I was talking to a recruiter yesterday at a networking event yesterday. She said that they are getting so many resumes for each job that they have decided they have no choice but to simply outsource the recruiting to a third party. Granted, this is for a well known engineering company, but she said even the higher paid positions that usually takes months to fill are overwhelmed with responses. One post on Craigslist yields 10 responses every minute.

Oct 30, 2004
It's getting pretty bad, even for the "in demand" jobs. I was talking to a recruiter yesterday at a networking event yesterday. She said that they are getting so many resumes for each job that they have decided they have no choice but to simply outsource the recruiting to a third party. Granted, this is for a well known engineering company, but she said even the higher paid positions that usually takes months to fill are overwhelmed with responses. One post on Craigslist yields 10 responses every minute.

One would hope that this might result in increased human resource jobs. However, in all likelihood, they're just using computers to screen out applications based on the presence or absence of certain keywords.

It seems like it's difficult to even receive a definitive rejection today. Instead they say, "If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you," and then you never hear from them.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Sorry to necro but February is now over and the REAL unemployment figures for Feb are starting to be released. ADP's Private Payroll figures were just released this morning showing a +216,000 increase in private employment, in line with the +218k expected by analysts and much better than the +173,000 increase in January.

As seen by the graph at the bottom of the linked page, employment has been steadily improving for at least six months now: http://www.adpemploymentreport.com/

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Sorry to necro but February is now over and the REAL unemployment figures for Feb are starting to be released. ADP's Private Payroll figures were just released this morning showing a +216,000 increase in private employment, in line with the +218k expected by analysts and much better than the +173,000 increase in January.

As seen by the graph at the bottom of the linked page, employment has been steadily improving for at least six months now: http://www.adpemploymentreport.com/

What kind of jobs with what kind of wages and benefits?

Wait I just looked at the numbers 109,225,000 in September 2011 to 110,249,000 in February less than 1% but the graph makes it look like it went up by approximately 1/3,

talk about bullshit deceptive marketing at it's best:rolleyes:

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Have they quit paying extended unemployment?

My wife found a part time job barely making minimum wage, but I would not call that Employment. It is more like welfare. They probably consider her employment part of their success story at the White House.

Last edited:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Since when are part time jobs with no benefits something liberals are clamoring/boasting about?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I can read a graph that says gas costs more.
I can read a graph that says groceries cost more.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Since when are part time jobs with no benefits something liberals are clamoring/boasting about?

Remember when we passed that universal healthcare law with an employer mandate that required even the crappiest part time job to give workers health insurance? Oh wait, the mandate doesn't kick in for another two years. Thanks Republicans!

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Not if you can read graphs at a middle school grade level. lol.

Instead of trying to put people down to inflate your elitist ego, do some research to see how graphs are used to manipulate peoples perceptions of statistics

In this case they put 108 million at the bottom and 111 at the top and take a slice off the top of the graph to make it look bigger than it actually is, a common deception practice discussed below on the last page of the lesson.(math scores for term 1)

http://www.mindset.co.za/resources//0000042667/0000068829/0000074357/LN%20Manipulating%20Data%20L3.pdf

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Remember when we passed that universal healthcare law with an employer mandate that required even the crappiest part time job to give workers health insurance? Oh wait, the mandate doesn't kick in for another two years. Thanks Republicans!

But yet we still sidestep (making) the law requiring caps on profits from insurance companies?

Ya.

Too many of our "Representatives" are legislating for those that pay them, not those that voted for them.

These guys need to start writing legislation that deals with an issue, not a symptom. I am tired of Medicare going up, but not limiting the charge for medication bought using it. I would like a health care bill passed that does not have some bushwhacker trying to get his state a new dog run behind the capital building tacked on at the end.

You do not put a bandaid on gangrene and blame the other guy.