Is Turbo Tax going to have all that spyware in it like last year's version?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Getting ready to go out and buy some tax software. Wanted to know if the folks at Intuit are trying the same funny business as they got caught last year doing.

---

PSI - This is not the Software forum

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
'03 had the extra headaches.

I heard rumors that they learned their lesson in '04.

I switched becuse of the '03 and will not go back until I feel that they can offer something better that what I use now.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I doubt if they would try that ridiculous stunt again, but it doesn't matter to me - I switched to TaxCut and I'm sticking with it as long as it does the job.

I've had enough of Intuit. Just got a letter today telling me that my copy of Quicken 2002 will no longer be supported as of April. And not just "not supported" - no online features will work after that. No transaction downloads, no bill paying, no ability to access existing online portfolios, nothing.

I don't expect vendors to support software forever, but there's a difference between not providing support and making older versions essentially non-functional.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I started with and will continue to use taxact.... just got the email today.... federal and state $15.95 total - includes electronic filing of both.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Personally I went back to Turbotax after Intuit opened up their EULA after the debacle, they learned their lesson and I read the EULAs before I install. Turbotax has by far the most permissive EULA I've ever seen and I really like the interface improvements in this years version.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
dunno - luckily, I was using TaxCut at the time. TaxCut has always done a great job for me. But if TaxCut had pulled the same stunt that TurboTax pulled, I'd have switched and never looked back.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm using TurboTax this year. I used it last year as well and it was fine. But I used TaxCut the previous two years and didn't like it as much. Something about the interface in TurboTax is better or more user-friendly. I dunno, I'm a noob at taxes and TT seems to hold your hand more which I like.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I've been using TaxCut for several years anyway and have no intention of switching (especially after last year's debacle). IMO, doing personal tax returns is not that difficult.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I've used Taxcut for the past couple of years and have no intention of going back to TurboTax.

Dave

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
I've been a TaxAct user for 2-3 years and recommend it.
Support the underdog.

I won't go back to Intuit after the spyware thing.... Companies need to learn that spyware isn't an option -- and will hurt for years to come. DON'T SUPPORT THEM!

KC5AV

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2002
TaxAct user. Free software download. You can pay to e-file, or just print out the return and snail mail it. I get the option to tele-file this year.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I've been using TurboTax Online for what will be the fourth year this tax season. It's got all of my past history saved and is easy to use. I have no complaints nor desire to use anything else.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I used the online version of Turbo Tax last year, and I had no complaints. My taxes are fairly basic so I just end up using the 1040EZ one. I was considering trying TaxCut's online version this year, but it's $30? The program itself is $14.95 if you download it, is there another fee on top of that for e-filing?