Is Trump's allegation of fraud in mail in voting self-defeating?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Interesting article on CNN:

A bunch of GOP strategists and pollsters are begging the White House to stop claiming that mail-in ballots are going to be tampered with. Because dem voters aren't believing a word he's saying, but GOP voters are taking it seriously. Meaning GOP voters are not clamoring to vote by mail this year. The theory is that a certain percentage of those people who would otherwise have voted for Trump by mail, will for one reason or another not show up on election day. Maybe because they got held up by something important that day, or long lines, concerns about COVID, being elderly and/or immobile, etc.

One poll showed that 85% of planned mail in voters in one state are Biden voters. Part of this is likely because dems are more concerned about COVID, but some of it may well be due to Trump's calling the integrity of mail-in ballots into question.

Is limiting your own party to only one method of voting through this kind of messaging a good electoral strategy? Is this latest Trump bullshit going to backfire on Trump and the entire down ballot GOP this year? I certainly hope so. It would be poetic justice.

Last edited:
Reactions: tweaker2

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
that's the beauty of it, he thinks he's propping himself up when in actuality he hurting himself in a lot of what he does, too bad others pay the price for his shenanigans.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Interesting article on CNN:

A bunch of GOP strategists and pollsters are begging the White House to stop claiming that mail-in ballots are going to be tampered with. Because dem voters aren't believing a word he's saying, but GOP voters are taking it seriously. Meaning GOP voters are not clamoring to vote by mail this year. The theory is that a certain percentage of those people who would otherwise have voted for Trump by mail, will for one reason or another not show up on election day. Maybe because they got held up by something important that day, or long lines, concerns about COVID, being elderly and/or immobile, etc.

One poll showed that 85% of planned mail in voters in one state are Biden voters. Part of this is likely because dems are more concerned about COVID, but some of it may well be due to Trump's calling the integrity of mail-in ballots into question.

Is limiting your own party to only one method of voting through this kind of messaging a good electoral strategy? Is this latest Trump bullshit going to backfire on Trump and the entire down ballot GOP this year? I certainly hope so. It would be poetic justice.

I've never quite understood his argument anyway. I can pay my taxes by mail, but voting is too complex?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I've never quite understood his argument anyway. I can pay my taxes by mail, but voting is too complex?

He isn't saying it's "complex." He's saying he expects, without evidence, that it will be used for widespread "voter fraud." Remember when it was all about "in person voter fraud" which is why we supposedly needed those ID laws? Well now apparently it's mail in voting that is the problem. There is ONE example to bolster his position, though: republicans tried to get away with phonying up mail-in voter forms to help elect Harris to Congress in North Carolina in 2018. Other than that, there don't seem to be any other known examples.

The amusing thing here is that conservative voters seem to think that they can't trust mail in voting now and are not planning to vote by mail. LOL what a bunch of maroons.

Reactions: dank69

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Possibly may backfire, but not gonna lie, what scares me more is in-person voter intimidation measures (specifically off-duty cops doing the bidding of the GOP, literally pulling legitimate voters out of line for bullshit):

I simultaneously can't and yet totally believe that shit is legal. I hope there are fucktons of voting rights lawyers tamping down on that shit.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Possibly may backfire, but not gonna lie, what scares me more is in-person voter intimidation measures (specifically off-duty cops doing the bidding of the GOP, literally pulling legitimate voters out of line for bullshit):

I simultaneously can't and yet totally believe that shit is legal. I hope there are fucktons of voting rights lawyers tamping down on that shit.

I read somewhere recently that this GOP practice of having thugs patrol certain specific polling places dates back to the Reagan years.

As to the legalities, they can probably legally just stand and give people intimidating looks so long as they aren't armed and aren't saying things to dissuade people from voting. If they are smart, they will stay just barely on the legal side of the line.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I read somewhere recently that this GOP practice of having thugs patrol certain specific polling places dates back to the Reagan years.

As to the legalities, they can probably legally just stand and give people intimidating looks so long as they aren't armed and aren't saying things to dissuade people from voting. If they are smart, they will stay just barely on the legal side of the line.
They would never go so low.

Reactions: nickqt

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
He isn't saying it's "complex." He's saying he expects, without evidence, that it will be used for widespread "voter fraud." Remember when it was all about "in person voter fraud" which is why we supposedly needed those ID laws? Well now apparently it's mail in voting that is the problem. There is ONE example to bolster his position, though: republicans tried to get away with phonying up mail-in voter forms to help elect Harris to Congress in North Carolina in 2018. Other than that, there don't seem to be any other known examples.

The amusing thing here is that conservative voters seem to think that they can't trust mail in voting now and are not planning to vote by mail. LOL what a bunch of maroons.

I didn't mean complex as in too complex to figure out how to vote, but they seem to think it is too complex for us to figure out how to do it securely.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I didn't mean complex as in too complex to figure out how to vote, but they seem to think it is too complex for us to figure out how to do it securely.

They're lying. 5 states prove that vote by mail works just fine. They don't have to invent anything. Just use the same safeguards & methods that we do. We're glad to help.

Reactions: Aegeon

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They're lying. 5 states prove that vote by mail works just fine. They don't have to invent anything. Just use the same safeguards & methods that we do. We're glad to help.

Five states have "all mail" elections. Several states like CA allow county by county when the county decides to do it. Been voting by mail here for the last several cycles.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I never voted in person in California, registered as permanent absentee. No issues.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

considering driver's licenses, social security cards, and other sensitive pieces of information are all transferred by mail, one would think the system is fairly robust and secure.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Here in MA, we now have no-excuse mail-in voting. I got an application in the mail yesterday which allows me to vote by mail in the primary and general elections. Going to do both!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Here in MA, we now have no-excuse mail-in voting. I got an application in the mail yesterday which allows me to vote by mail in the primary and general elections. Going to do both!

Most of the country has it or will soon. There is really no good reason not to do basically all voting by mail with some in person voting available near Election Day.

Reactions: uclaLabrat