is this what getting old is like?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Life is suffering.

As you get older you start to see people you love pass away. Hell, you could pass away at a drop of the hat. Life is short. People talk about living forever. I don't want to live forever. People are iin denial that the body ages. When we look at old people we think THAT WON'T BE ME. Ah, but if you live old enough that will be you. Yes, you can exercise. That will stave off age related diseases for some time. But, in the end there is no fighting it. You get old, suffer and will eventually pass away.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Life is suffering.

As you get older you start to see people you love pass away. Hell, you could pass away at a drop of the hat. Life is short. People talk about living forever. I don't want to live forever. People are iin denial that the body ages. When we look at old people we think THAT WON'T BE ME. Ah, but if you live old enough that will be you. Yes, you can exercise. That will stave off age related diseases for some time. But, in the end there is no fighting it. You get old, suffer and will eventually pass away.

Well well, look at Captain Happy Pants over here.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Sounds about right. Not too long ago I gave my wife the "whats a matter w/ you" italian finger purse hard enough to pull a muscle in my neck.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Life is suffering.

Life is joy, too.

Reactions: Captante

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I've had some back problems that have a legacy of this kind of thing. I opened the fridge wrong about 7 months ago and my back decided I was, therefore, going to lay on the ground immediately. On the wood floor. Door to the fridge left open. After about 10 seconds of laying there my back decided to relinquish control of my body back to my brain. "OK you're free to go now"

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
^^ Been there. I think mine is a disc issue; it's so random and hits so fast I don't know what else it could be. I'm usually screwed up for about a week when it happens.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I figure by the time I'm as old as you boomers, they'll have cures for everything so I'll just live forever in my peak physical state. #boomerssuck #lolATOTgeezers #superman

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
<<------ is calling AARP.

Hello AARP? Never mind who I am. Want to get many good leads for membership? Go to this site and this thread you will see plenty of old farts in need of relief from pain and ache and many of old folks' problem. Sure, you are welcome. Better hurry up.

Don't forget to send me a commission check.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yep, getting old sucks. I was doing pretty good until the last two years (just turned 40). Even did the Rugged Maniac just a handful of years ago. But age comes for everyone, and things start to get weird.

The doctor used to say "give it a couple weeks", now it's "being takes time, give it 4-6 weeks"

Basically, do whatever doesn't hurt so bad that you have to stop

Reactions: highland145

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
<<------ is calling AARP.

Hello AARP? Never mind who I am. Want to get many good leads for membership? Go to this site and this thread you will see plenty of old farts in need of relief from pain and ache and many of old folks' problem. Sure, you are welcome. Better hurry up.

Don't forget to send me a commission check.

I've gotten the mailers from the AARP gang for almost 2 decades. Fuck them. I don't like their politics.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
^^ Been there. I think mine is a disc issue; it's so random and hits so fast I don't know what else it could be. I'm usually screwed up for about a week when it happens.
Mine is a disk issue too. I got two injections and a fair amount of physical therapy and now I'm mostly fine. Every once and a while though...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Life is suffering.

If you expect to suffer, well ....

I look for the good things in life, family, my dog, friends, good beer, warm sunny days ... Yea things ache at times, and don't work like they used to, but that's not my focus, and I find it much more beneficial to file they away as annoyances and enjoy life.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
the only reason sneezing worries me is that I am on warfarin and I dread having a nose bleed that may not clot.

UPDATE: it happened today. stupid thing bled for an hour before clotting
I am allergic to warfarin!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
so i just leaned ever so slightly to the side in my computer chair

and instantly my spine felt like it had been hit with a sledgehammer, and now it hurts every time i breathe

if this is what getting old feels like then i want to be forever young
Get enough of the right kind of exercise and you aren't apt to have that kind of problem. "Core exercises."

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
FYI, if you are/were into heavy metal be careful about doing any headbanging when your favorite song comes on the radio or you feel like doing air guitar windmills :p

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I hope it never comes to surgery. A couple times a year my knees will really start to throb, usually when walking on hills. Oh, and my hip gets wonky sometimes. I'm thinking stretching might help that, but I need to do it, and not just think about it.

Good luck with the knees! I think that's one of the more reliable surgeries, but it might take awhile to really get going again.
I used to get really bad knee pain, my entire life, even when I was a teenager. I found this article years ago, read it, followed a lot of it, haven't had real knee pain since. I even started running daily, which used to kill my knees.

http://www.drbookspan.com/KneePainArticle.html

I think the major thing I was doing was not keep my feet below my shoulders (bringing them in to the centerline) and not keeping my knees over my toes when stepping.

My old man injury as of late, I jumped out of a swing, back hurt for a week. A few years ago I got rubber mulch for our neighborhood playground, and I'll jump off the swings there no problem. I did this at a school with wood mulch, not nearly as soft.

Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Various aches and pains at 45 but you just keep trucking. Get on a bike, it's low impact and good exercise. I joined a cycling club on a trial basis and went on a group ride around all of Manhattan the other weekend. So that's about 32 miles, plus with getting to and from the start point, another 12 miles. At 45 I was the youngest in the group ride. Everyone there seemed to be 60+ besides one other woman and one other guy. The whole group rode a steady clip too. Be active now, stay active later.
I worked with a guy in his 60s, that could qualify for the Boston Marathon as a 30 year-old. At corporate challenge he had like a 4:15 mile. I went biking with him once, he was on a mountain bike, fat tires and all, we road 30 miles at 25 mph about half way he had me get in front and our speed dropped to about 19, so he took over lead again. At the end I was dying and he decided to keep riding.

He is most definitely my inspiration. I did find out, he didn't really start until his forties either.

Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There was a thread here years ago, maybe 15 or 20, about someone's balls getting wet when they took a shit because their ball sack had stretched out so much with age. That is when I decided getting old sucked.