is this what getting old is like?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
When I was 28 or 29 I was scraping thin ice off my windshield. Something happened between my shoulder blades and I couldn't turn my neck to back out of the parking lots. It hurt for weeks.

3 years ago I picked up my clothes basket and hurt something in my lower back. That night my knee started hurting just as bad. The pain was so bad I had to pull a chair over and take breaks when I made my coffee in the morning. I literally changed my sleep position because of that incident.
It's likely a muscle and fixable if you know what to do and it isn't some difficult muscle like the quadratus lumborum.

Some DIY trigger point therapy can help. It's simple to describe. Apply pressure to an tense muscle at a tender point with something like a thumb, finger, ball, etc. As the pressure is apply, the muscle can react, sometimes violently, and releases its tension.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I pulled a lower back muscle during my workout yesterday. Even quit early because I knew I was in danger of overdoing it, but didn’t realize I’d be hobbling around like a 90-year old today. I lifted a lot more than I do now throughout my 20s with no issues ... now 31 and I’ve done this twice in the last year.
Lol keep at it. Tore my acl before you were born. 57 now and it adds up. My last 4 surgeries were for degenerative crap. Not that I follow my own advice but...what has already been said above.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
It's likely a muscle and fixable if you know what to do and it isn't some difficult muscle like the quadratus lumborum.

Some DIY trigger point therapy can help. It's simple to describe. Apply pressure to an tense muscle at a tender point with something like a thumb, finger, ball, etc. As the pressure is apply, the muscle can react, sometimes violently, and releases its tension.
I tried heat and self massage. I often wonder if it was sciatica since my knee was also hurting. Time was the only thing that helped heal the pain. I'm sure therapy would have helped but don't think it was an option with my insurance.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I tried heat and self massage. I often wonder if it was sciatica since my knee was also hurting. Time was the only thing that helped heal the pain. I'm sure therapy would have helped but don't think it was an option with my insurance.
Ice, not heat.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My back might go out if I sneeze. If I'm not sitting, I try to bend over to sneeze. Right shoulder's been sore more than a month now. Not sure exactly when it started cause something always hurts, so I don't pay close attention. Not sure what's up with that. Back went out a couple weeks ago, and I could barely move. The previous two days, my forearms hurt. Felt like some kind of tendon thing. Climbed a pin oak yesterday, and got some of the dead wood out. Kinda kicked my ass, but I woke up today feeling pretty good; just a bit sore. Shoulder still hurts though :^/

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My back might go out if I sneeze. If I'm not sitting, I try to bend over to sneeze. Right shoulder's been sore more than a month now. Not sure exactly when it started cause something always hurts, so I don't pay close attention. Not sure what's up with that. Back went out a couple weeks ago, and I could barely move. The previous two days, my forearms hurt. Felt like some kind of tendon thing. Climbed a pin oak yesterday, and got some of the dead wood out. Kinda kicked my ass, but I woke up today feeling pretty good; just a bit sore. Shoulder still hurts though :^/
Lol 70 and still kicking ass. You and my bro..."What's wrong with working 15 hours a day?" No way I can keep up with him or you. Heck, I'm thinking grab bars by the toilet since the last knee surgery...:(

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I hope it never comes to surgery. A couple times a year my knees will really start to throb, usually when walking on hills. Oh, and my hip gets wonky sometimes. I'm thinking stretching might help that, but I need to do it, and not just think about it.

Good luck with the knees! I think that's one of the more reliable surgeries, but it might take awhile to really get going again.

Reactions: highland145

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Lol keep at it. Tore my acl before you were born. 57 now and it adds up. My last 4 surgeries were for degenerative crap. Not that I follow my own advice but...what has already been said above.

lol, 31 isn’t seeming so bad anymore. Sure I managed to pull a muscle so bad I could barely stand two days ago, and certainly couldn’t stand straight upright, but today I could have done my usual workout if I felt like pushing my luck. A few years ago I would have.

Ice, not heat.

Can confirm

Reactions: highland145

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Based on cursory glances of hockey players' production, middle age starts around the age of 33.

Yep ... sounds about right for the first real twinges of age-pain! ;)

Boomer isn't exaggerating in any way ... it really IS all downhill from here!

lol, 31 isn’t seeming so bad anymore. Sure I managed to pull a muscle so bad I could barely stand two days ago, and certainly couldn’t stand straight upright, but today I could have done my usual workout if I felt like pushing my luck. A few years ago I would have.

In your early-mid 30's you still heal somewhat like a kid.

40's however are a whole new ballgame. :confused_old:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I just turned 50 and I'm doing everything in my power to avoid all of that. I'm working out during lunch 4-5 times a week, I'm doing intermittent fasting and cutting processed grains/sugar/starches to keep the fat off. Seems to be working- still feel like I'm 25 and can hop around really well. Wondering how long this is going last though :(

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Various aches and pains at 45 but you just keep trucking. Get on a bike, it's low impact and good exercise. I joined a cycling club on a trial basis and went on a group ride around all of Manhattan the other weekend. So that's about 32 miles, plus with getting to and from the start point, another 12 miles. At 45 I was the youngest in the group ride. Everyone there seemed to be 60+ besides one other woman and one other guy. The whole group rode a steady clip too. Be active now, stay active later.

Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
In my early/mid-30s I was older than I am now. Dropped some weight, started stretching, and added daily planks. Now I'm not sure when the last time my back hurt was, and my sciatica flare-ups are pretty darn rare.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
In my early/mid-30s I was older than I am now. Dropped some weight, started stretching, and added daily planks. Now I'm not sure when the last time my back hurt was, and my sciatica flare-ups are pretty darn rare.

what kind of stretching do you do?

i need to do that - somehow i managed to pull my back this morning doing almost nothing at all

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
what kind of stretching do you do?

i need to do that - somehow i managed to pull my back this morning doing almost nothing at all
Have you tried a heating pad? When my back gets tweaked I loosen it up with a heating pad and stretch and it gets better. Sometimes takes a lot longer than was I was younger but hasn't really failed me yet.

Reactions: Zorba

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
a nice soak in a epson salt bath does wonders. whats funny is i strained lower back doing work out yesterday too hah, but it was because i did zero warm up and was running around the house doing 5 things at once supersetting benchpress and curls ;)
Preach it.

Now in my mid 50s, I don't mess around with trying to cheese warm ups anymore. For combat sports and Shotokan, I have always warmed up. But weights I used to cheese hard when I felt rushed. No way I could get away with that now.

Reactions: killster1