Is this Verizon Wireless plan a ripoff?

DomS

Banned
Jul 15, 2008
450 anytime minutes, unlimited night & weekends, unlimited in network calls: 39.99
1500 free messages, unlimited in network messaging: 15.00

With Taxes I'm paying 60.04/month. That seems pretty steep for what I'm getting...

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Why yes it is. My son just got his bill ... $1,600!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Verizon is a lot more overpriced than the other carriers. I only stick with them because EVERYONE is on Verizon and they do free verizon to verizon calls.... So it helps save those 450 mins/month. I rarely go over because I always call friends' cellphones.

In addition, my job gets me a 19% discount on Verizon....so it's even cheaper.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Yes, yes it is.

You pay for the network, which I find better than the others (ymmv)

DomS

Banned
Jul 15, 2008
Originally posted by: isekii
Originally posted by: mb
Do you actually text that much?

1500 isn't that much.

yeah, because it's sent AND received. So it's like 50/day...but if you have a gf that loves texting....

But yeah, who has a decent deal with about 300-400 anytime minutes, and like 1000 text messages even?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: DomS

1500 isn't that much.

yeah, because it's sent AND received. So it's like 50/day...but if you have a gf that loves texting....

But yeah, who has a decent deal with about 300-400 anytime minutes, and like 1000 text messages even?

Anybody but Vzw.

vzw is like, the apple of wireless carriers...except w/o the cool hardware.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
50/day is a lot to me. I pay per text message and rarely spend more than $4/mo on it. Tell her to get VZW too so you'll have free calls/texts to each other.

DomS

Banned
Jul 15, 2008
Ok, this is weird, they ALL charge the same thing, Verizon, AT&T, Nextel. THey all charge 39.99 for 450 minutes, and 15.00 for the 1500 text messages..wtf is it regulated??

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have the 450 and unlimited data and I'm not paying that much.
Of course its possible I snuck in under a good deal and after 6 months I'll be getting reamed for a lot more.

EDIT: Dont know what kind of phone you have but you might be interested in the Premium plan if you text like a maniac. That would give you unlimited texting and data, not bad if you like to do emails as well.

Looking at what everyone else pays for the 450 Premium it would seem I am getting a good deal, which I'm sure will end in 6 months.

They have 4 regular plans (I wont bother with the Age 65+ plan).
The Select plan gives unlimited texts for the same price as your Basic plus Text Package.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Ns1

1500 isn't that much.

Anybody but Vzw.

Pffft....Blackberry Storm on the way here.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: Ns1

1500 isn't that much.

Anybody but Vzw.

Pffft....Blackberry Storm on the way here.

I'm waiting for the Bold.

Although I do need to read this when I get home
Text

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005

1500 isn't that much.

Have you checked out T-Mobile? I just checked out a plan that had 400 anytime minutes and unlimited text messaging for $45/month... and you get a free phone.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I just switched from my $15 dollar Verizon plan. It had 25 minutes of peak talk time, 25 minuted off-peak. No free texts and they raped you per minute over.

It was awesome 'til I became 'popular'.

I think they discontinued it, so I don't know if I can get it again.

DomS

Banned
Jul 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Xanis

1500 isn't that much.

Have you checked out T-Mobile? I just checked out a plan that had 400 anytime minutes and unlimited text messaging for $45/month... and you get a free phone.

I hadn't thought of them actually, going to check it out now. Thanks!

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004

1500 isn't that much.

T-Mobile has the worst coverage so be sure to check your area.
Also, are you still locked in to your Verizon contract?

DomS

Banned
Jul 15, 2008

1500 isn't that much.

T-Mobile has the worst coverage so be sure to check your area.
Also, are you still locked in to your Verizon contract?

I'm in Boston and spend most of my time here, or during the summer about a month in Old Saybrook, CT. Hopefully those 2 areas are covered. My VZ contract is up in a couple months. I have GOT to get something cheaper.

cHeeZeFacTory

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
vzw probably has the best coverage, and a fast 3G network. But i hate that they charge $30/mo for tethering your phone.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: keird
I just switched from my $15 dollar Verizon plan. It had 25 minutes of peak talk time, 25 minuted off-peak. No free texts and they raped you per minute over.

It was awesome 'til I became 'popular'.

I think they discontinued it, so I don't know if I can get it again.
The prepaid plans might be that cheap.
Same with any prepaid carrier. So long as you dont use it much you will save tons of money. I used Tracfone for a while and they were great. Based on my call logs I only needed about 200 minutes a year.
The biggest problem with most carriers is you wont get what you pay for unless you bullshit with friends for the entire evening/weekend.

EDIT:
OK, I just checked the websites of the "Big 4" and only T-mobile has a $29.99 plan. Everyone else starts at $39.99, so I dont really know why folks are saying Verizon is the most expensive.

Granted, I do recall the good old days where most companies had some sort of super basic plan that was 15-20 bucks a month. With the economy being what it is I dont think we'll see that again for a long time. On the flipside we do have more kickass phones in the FREE-$10 range so thats nice. Of course, thats also usually with a 2 year plan, which is starting to become the standard.

I'd say the best of all the groups for plans might be Sprint. For 100 bucks you can get unlimited EVERYTHING. The others want between 130 and 150 for that.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
$15/mo for text messages? That is insane. It's probably like 10MB of data total for the month. Txt messaging plans are like the printer ink of the wireless world. I pay $10 now for unlimited and I'm pissed about that. It used to be $5 for 500 and then they made 10 the minimum. Not happy to hear it's now 15 for less messages.