is this the router, the cable connection, or something else?

bigben2wardpitt

May 29, 2005
Ok, for awhile i have had many problems with my linksy wrt54g VERSION FIVE router (the worst version made ever because it ran vxworks, not linux), now i finally started to use DD-WRT firmware and the connection has been more STABLE. However, when i am wirelessly on the computer and another person is wirelessly on the computer, the wireless connection slows down a lot. Also, only 60 feet away from the router, i dont get a good connection. I should be getting almost excellent at this distance (I do at my other house with a wrt54g version 3 router).

So, although the firmware has made things better, im still having problems. I already bought the better antennas for this router, i am wondering if i should just buy a new router, and if so what do u reccomend? I want a stable connection, and want to max out this cable connection (100 mbps). My cable company (cox) reccomends linksys or d-link but im willing to get anything. I probably will have about 3 people connected to the internet at one time. So, whats some good reccomended routers?

thanks

bigben2wardpitt

May 29, 2005

that one looks pretty good but whats the range? I need a strong range because for some reason, even though its only 60 feet away, i don't get a great connection in the living room, and i have tried the router on all kinds of different frequencies...

also this will work with a linksys wireless G wireless adapter? I'm sure it does...

i guess this also means though to take advantage of my 100 mbps connection wirelessly i'd have to get a special wireless adapter for that to work.

Also, once i get the buffalo set up could i use the linksys as a repeater maybe to make the connection stronger out in the living room if needed? Also, how is this done, do i just plug the routers LAN connection into the back of the computer and it picks up the wireless connection like a giant wireless adapter or i mean how do i get this whole "repeater" thing to work, i have never understood it.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: bigben2wardpitt
http://www.firewallguide.com/wireless.htm

any of those routers they outline good/bad? They have that buffalo one on there
TThis page has some useful information but it suffers from some serious inherent flows.
It is a commercial enterprising and some of there comments and are rather amateurish.

Though the word security is the same word English wise, there is No connection between Router's Firewall per-se, and Wireless or Wireless security.

Wireless is just a replacement to Wire and its security meant to prevent connecting to your system via the Wireless conduit (like if you leave an RJ-45 jack open and available to any one to plug is computer to.

Wireless security is needed even if you do not have any Internet connection and do not use a Router. The Routing part of a typical Wireless Cable/DSL Router that provides the NAT Firewall has nothing to do with the Wireless security part.

Testing Router?s Firewall with a good online test is not very indicative since the Router's Firewall is a by-product of the NAT and only blocks incoming, it supposes to be an overall security solution and would the part of the test that involves sending information from the inside. http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

No matter waht Real Security needs Software Firewall on each computer as well.

Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection Protection.

bigben2wardpitt

May 29, 2005
yea im not looking at security, i run firewalls on all the computers, i am quite secure, what i have a problem with is the issues i discussed in the first post.

but thanks for the added insight too

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The Buffalo can be flushed with DD-WRT too. I do not own WRT54G v5 so I do not know if it would repeat.

If you can lay a cable 20-30 feet to some central place (like central hallway) and connect a Wireless Router configured as an Access Point it might solve your problem.

Link to: Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network.

Link to: Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point

Link to: Wirelessly Bridging Home / Network.

Link to: Hi Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
you are not going to get 100Mb/s over wireless for a few more years

I doubt you get 100Mb/s from Cox for you internet

Running S/W firewalls is no substitute for layered security, including securing your wireless infrastructure properly.